Stephen Ruby, Level 1

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Stephen Ruby

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

gallery_9552_18_105072.png

Stephen mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

Official Mash Monster Video

Mash Monster Profile

Height: 6' 6"

Weight: 345lbs

Date of Feat: July 24, 2013

Witness: Cassandra Ruby

How Long Grip Training

Started December 2012. Although I did play with grippers sometimes when they were introduced to me by a friend about 2 years ago but didn't pick it up again until December of last year and more serious when I joined the gripboard.

Current Grip Training Program

It varies but Monday-Thickbar Wednesday Pinch Friday Wrist and grippers

Other Training Info

I train 4 days a week generally monday-Lower heavy Tuesday upper heavy wednesday off thursday lower volume friday upper volume it varies though I could go more or less but try to get at at least the main lifts in once or twice a week-press,squat,pulls-

Other Info

Currently going back to school after a minor hiatus due to work studying biology.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to everyone on the gripboard for motivation and support as well as all the valuable training ideas I get from all those who contribute to the site.

Stephen Ruby is the 85th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

• Like 3

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?
I have trained off an on since high school getting more serious now after a back injury at my last job.

How did you get into grip training?
Well I first tried a gripper from a friend who had some ironmind grippers but didn't get into real grip training until reading online about old time strength feats that lead me to the gripboard and grip training as a supplement to my regular training.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?
Stay patient and set short term goals. Don't be afraid to try out new things but don't give up on programs that are giving your progress. If you make it a goal you will achieve it given time and effort.

What does your current grip routine look like?
Like I mentioned it varies but Monday-Thickbar Wensday Pinch Friday Wrist and grippers. Being specific I train grip very similar to powerlifting style meaning low volume high intensity. I do some high volume once in a while also but find that mentally if I don't train heavy on grip I don't make the same progress.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?
I first like many new grip athletes did too much volume and got injured so I try to limit volume and listen to my body more. I think finding what works best like with anything takes time and lots of trial and error.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?

Yes just like with regular lifting I have found that increased frequency does lead to quick results but I have found that you tend to hit a wall eventually and sometimes could cause injury. This happened to me with bending in particular I saw very quick progress bending often eventually doing a red reverse+ finish in a single DH wrap but my body started breaking down more more so then mentally.

What are your favorite grip exercises?
Probably bending if that counts as a grip exercise since you get quite an Adrenalin rush from doing a heavy bend. Although a max effort gripper attempt is pretty fun also.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?
I would see what your weakness are and try to work those more first. I think the best routine is individual and that you will have to experiment and see what works for you and what doesn't. Ask for advice often especially when you hit plateaus I did this with the gripboard on both injuries and hitting walls and got great feedback.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?
Its quite a big list that continues to grow as I learn more about past greats. Yet currently it would be anyone competing at a high level in grip sport right now or who has reached high levels in the sport in general.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?
That is a tough question since I have learned a lot from my mistakes early on. I would just try and listen to my body more and do a lot more prehab work.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?
For myself it would be pinch yet overall I think no wrap bending would be near the top.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?
Taking first place in my first grip contest was a good personal best. I think one wrap reverse + finishing a red nail would be one of my best grip feats so far along with a no wrap triangle grade 5 reverse/finish bend.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?
Lack of prehab training, not warming up before hard training, and not being open to new training ideas when you are not making progress. Also probably too much volume particular with grippers which take longer to recover from on average.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?
That is a hard one but as far as pure grip I would say nathan holle's ghp # 9 close.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?
Stay active with the gripboard and spread the word about the benefits and fun of grip training. Get more people to sign up on the gripboard to continue to grow the sport and make local contests bigger and more fun.

• Like 1