Top Grip Exercises For Deadlift Grip Strength

truth1ness

If my main priority is keeping my grip strength ahead of my deadlift strength (using double overhand, no straps/hook grip) what should be my main focus exercises in your opinion? Do concentric crush exercises like grippers/barbell rollups help here or should my focus be on support holds like farmers walks and/or fat grip holds? Does pinch and block work play any role in deadlift grip strength?

I know many people say to hold the deadlift bar as long as possible after the last deadlift rep to gain strength but I find by the last rep the bar is usually sliding down to my fingertips so I'm not really able to train a very solid hold at that point.

Also, is there any kind of technique aspect to getting the best deadlift grip? I actually find my failing point is usually right after the initial break from the floor going up my shins, the bar goes from a full grip to my fingertips where I'm usually able to hold it the rest of the way, though precariously. Does that mean I have more 'fingertip' strength than crushing strength or something and how should that affect my approach? I think it may have something to do with having done lots of rowing (the boat kind) where we were always taught to hold the handle in our fingertips like dead hooks and not actively crush it into our palms. Should I be trying to cock my wrist under the bar to counteract the rolling out or is that detrimental?

You need to bring your thumb strength up so pinch and thickbar are your friends.

Total agreement on the thick bar training. I quit using a regular bar for my favorite lift for one solid year and used only a 2" thick bar for all my deadlifts. My weights at first went down but bounced back to the same level with the addition of my highest level of holding grip. I did the conventional style reverse grip and form. Kind of how the old school guys trained getting several levels of benefit out of one exercise. In "real" world applied grip thumb strength and balance between the finger group and thumb is vital for success.

• Like 1

Agree with the thickbar points above, and would add that until one has a set of fat gripz or an axle to train with, then double overhand on the olympic bar as far along the DL workout as one can go is also helpful. Then switch to mixed grip when one can no longer hold on safely.

Thanks guys. I actually have fatgripz but I've been a little unsure of how to use them in my deadlift programming and I'm curious what you do/recommend. Do you: 1)put them on for warmup sets until you no longer can hold then go to the plain bar 2) use them on separate days so you can max your fatgripz strength and plain bar strength separately (ie day 1 all plain bar, day 2 all fatgripz) 3) just deadlift with plain bar but do accessory work like rows and one arm deadlifts with the fatgripz 4) some other combination?

Also, I had a little technique epiphany today at the end of my set. I'm pretty new to grippers and was recently watching some technique videos and thought to apply a couple things I learned namely 1) drive the thumb forward almost creating a pocket in your palm for the gripper/bar and 2) the strongest hand position is actually cocked back slightly like 15 degrees (I had actually been trying to cock the other way to get more of my fingers under the bar thinking that would counteract the rolling). My grip instantly felt way more solid from these gripper tips and I'm looking forward to trying them on my whole set next time.

keep it simple. pull DO grip in a workout until you can no longer hold on. then just finish the workout mixed grip. after that put your bar in a rack and do heavy lockout work DO grip. also, try going sumo too so you can grip only the smooth part of the barbell. when you get used to just holding to the smooth part you'll make a big leap when going back to the knurled part.

for assistance work for that grip do parallel gripper closes. it's a similar hand position. just these simple things got me from someone who has never done deadlifts to a 500# DO grip puller in less than a year. on the flipside, if you want to get better at parallel grippers doing DO deads is gold in your training. deadlifts took me from a 2.5 closer to a 3.5 closer in that same time frame. the idea is work the hand position that is for your goal. you'll get the most bang for your efforts.

Heavy Finger Curls in the power rack. Very heavy. All you need.

• Like 1

I simply put a peice of 2 1/2in PVC pipe over my regular

weight bar and made 2in thick stainless steel handles for my

dumbells. Also i have noticed huge gains on the thickbar

since i started using grippers.

and thas all i use now, plus going heavy.

Deadlift with axle or fatbar + holding is very good training for grip

• Like 2

Deadlift with axle or fatbar + holding is very good training for grip

damn son!!!! awesome pulling!!

If my main priority is keeping my grip strength ahead of my deadlift strength (using double overhand, no straps/hook grip) what should be my main focus exercises in your opinion? Do concentric crush exercises like grippers/barbell rollups help here or should my focus be on support holds like farmers walks and/or fat grip holds? Does pinch and block work play any role in deadlift grip strength?

I know many people say to hold the deadlift bar as long as possible after the last deadlift rep to gain strength but I find by the last rep the bar is usually sliding down to my fingertips so I'm not really able to train a very solid hold at that point.

Also, is there any kind of technique aspect to getting the best deadlift grip? I actually find my failing point is usually right after the initial break from the floor going up my shins, the bar goes from a full grip to my fingertips where I'm usually able to hold it the rest of the way, though precariously. Does that mean I have more 'fingertip' strength than crushing strength or something and how should that affect my approach? I think it may have something to do with having done lots of rowing (the boat kind) where we were always taught to hold the handle in our fingertips like dead hooks and not actively crush it into our palms. Should I be trying to cock my wrist under the bar to counteract the rolling out or is that detrimental?

Heavy one arm dumbbell rows. Work up to a set of 20 then increase the next week by 5lbs and stay at that weight until you can do 20, repeat. I do these with a 1 3/8 bar. When you get up over 180 for a set of 20 you will have all the grip you need do deadlift with.

Wade

• Like 5