Race To Lift The Inch Dumbbell

wojo

Chris a mind blank here. I was asked to list those cleaning and or cleaning and jerk, push , or pure pressing the Inch replica. I have a feeling you can or have done this( or planning to) can you give us a status? Your strength is just amazing! As a historical side note if you get to try it besides the usual pictures ,videos and witness please include for history clear measurements of the bell a bit of history where that particular replica came from and have it weighed on an accurate scale to insure proper historical credit. Continued best of luck on you ongoing Iron onslaught!

Nice lifting fellas !

I have the original Holle it up prototype bell and if you use it with the right angle it's much harder than a Thomas Inch dumbbell . If you can do 178 lbs on the Holle it up d/b you'll mangle the Inch !

I have a Holle dumbbell. Any way you can show how to hold this to make the lift as hard as possible

Nice lifting fellas !

I have the original Holle it up prototype bell and if you use it with the right angle it's much harder than a Thomas Inch dumbbell . If you can do 178 lbs on the Holle it up d/b you'll mangle the Inch !

I have a Holle dumbbell. Any way you can show how to hold this to make the lift as hard as possible

Just from my own experience -- the easiest way is to lift with the offset portion of the bar (inner bar closest to the outer edge) is aligned with the big knuckle (the 2nd one) of your index finger. If this makes sense. So if you were lifting with your right hand, the offset portion of the bar would be aimed toward your palm. If you do the opposite and place the offset portion against your THUMB this causes a tremendous pressure for it roll out. Even holding the unloaded bar in your hand you can feel this marked tug depending on the bar positioning.

I don't know the exact poundage difference, but I know from my own training... certain poundages I could not budge with the bar aimed at my thumb, this same weight was easily lifted if I rotated the bar to face my palm.

Edited by ThickerThanILook

Thanks for the reply. I have to play with mine more. I did make a barbell version of one of these welding a standard five foot bar into the inside of a three foot section of 2" ID pipe. I'm in on the inch challenge this fall and winter. Just ordered a baby inch that is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Guest Squat More

Yep, Wojo is going to lift that bloody thing before I even get mine, but being second or third in the race isn't too bad either.

Tommy... where ya at duder?

• Like 1

Nice lift man, i realy need access to a real inch. I no i can lift my HM 173 pounder

but its just not official

• Like 1

Thanks guys.....the finger on the bell thing really helps though because it's just enough to stop the bells from rotating. It's helps mentally too....like bending something in doubles.....it shows you that it CAN be lifted and proves it's not the weight of the bell, it's the rotation.

• Like 1

Wojo,

I'd be interested in seeing what you will do with my Inch when you are here on the 28th. Mine has a much better grip.

Wojo,

I'd be interested in seeing what you will do with my Inch when you are here on the 28th. Mine has a much better grip.

Cool....looking forward to trying it!

Do the Inch & Baby Inch DBs made by Jason Adamski have a good (rough/takes chalk well) testure on the handle?

Do the Inch & Baby Inch DBs made by Jason Adamski have a good (rough/takes chalk well) testure on the handle?

Just started playing with my baby inch. It's holding chalk well, although just one workout

Second day training with the baby inch. Also did some lifts with the full sized replica like Wojo did. amazing how stopping the spin changes things.

If anyone is interested in a IM Holle it Up handle pm me.

• Like 1

Second day training with the baby inch. Also did some lifts with the full sized replica like Wojo did. amazing how stopping the spin changes things.

If anyone is interested in a IM Holle it Up handle pm me.

Nice Steve! I think the assisted lifts with holds at the top will yield solid results in a relatively short period of time.

After squats tonight, I tried to get an idea of where I am with the trap bar deadlift with Fat Gripz. I got 405 and crapped out at the knees with 455. I then did some Inch assisted lifts along with some Bosco lift and holds for time.

I also lifted my 51.2lb York 2nd generation Blob for the very first time tonight with both hands. I'm pretty psyched because even on the day I lifted Nate's Blob 50, this thing was glued down to the floor for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQuyMnhctU

Awesome job John! Do you think all you're lifting on the inch has made your pinch go up?

I suppose that could be part of it....I would guess my thumb is getting stronger. Part of it is definitely mental though....I've never really focused on trying to lift my blob even though I've had it for close to 2 years. I would give it a couple attempts on the rare occasion, but nothing serious. Lifting Nate's Blob 50 gave me a lot of confidence, so I chalked the bastard up tonight and knew I could get a successful lift after getting the slightest of air on my first attempt.

A lot of guys repeat Brookfield's mantra that "block weights equal hand strength"....and it just recently occurred to me that I've been neglecting them for the better part of the past couple years....DUH!!!! I'm going to put grippers aside for now since I'm completely frustrated with them and really focus on thick bar and block weight training for a while.

• Like 1

Did some solid pulls with the baby inch today in between squats. Also did some attempts with the full size replica, with a finger on the bell. I've got a long way to go on this one.

http://youtu.be/v7XrLw9vJlk

http://youtu.be/-MQQYvD_gkI

Some lifts with my 110lb trainer and my Holle. The Holle is much harder them it seems. Im going to start training with it more regularly.

http://youtu.be/SLfYOnkgNEA

http://youtu.be/wH0aBMPnavc

Just checking in....I've been working a lot on block weights and thick bar. Tonight I gave my hub a shot in preparation for the King Kong contest and hit a small PR of 55lbs in plates plus the whole apparatus...so I estimate the total to be in between 60 and 62.5 lbs. I almost locked out 57.5lbs in plates several times (est. 62.5 to 65lbs total). Afterwards I gave the Inch a shot and the first attempt was about as high as I've ever gotten, so I consider that progress since my thumbs were already toast from the hub. I finished up with some block weight work.

On Sunday, I'll see where I am on the one hand euro pinch and then focus on block weights again.

• 1 month later...

Nice pull

• Like 1