Race To Lift The Inch Dumbbell

wojo

Guest Squat More

I have my Bosco bell on a few 1/2" walmart foam puzzle mats, it seems to have kept me from putting any dents into it when dropped.

While I don't think lifting X amount of weight on the Rolling Thunder will equal an inch lift, training on the RT does help, especially keeping a neutral wrist position. When you try to curl you wrist on the RT then lift a globe DB the same way it rolls right out of your hand. I have experimented with it on my bosco bell and time and time again I barely get a hop when I curl my wrist a bit trying to lift it, but I have also loaded it into a 14" high bench without much trouble.

Some videos from last weeks RT training

• Like 1

So today I finally got around to really playing with the Holle Dumbbell, so here is my workout report:

Now, let me predicate this by saying that I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I've really never used this thing before, so this made me really happy...

57.5 x 3, 77.5 x 3, 97.5 x 3, 117.5 x 3, 127.5 x 3, 137.5 x 3, 147.5 x 3, 157.5 x 2, 167.5 x 1... 177.5 x 1!!!!!!!!!! (Right hand only, left hand got air several times.)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So... yeah... did I win? haha. It was lifted to lockout after a couple of aired attempts, got it up there for just a sec before i had to put it down. but damnit, I got. Sorry, no video though. Next time I'll try to arrange to film it.

So today I finally got around to really playing with the Holle Dumbbell, so here is my workout report:

Now, let me predicate this by saying that I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I've really never used this thing before, so this made me really happy...

57.5 x 3, 77.5 x 3, 97.5 x 3, 117.5 x 3, 127.5 x 3, 137.5 x 3, 147.5 x 3, 157.5 x 2, 167.5 x 1... 177.5 x 1!!!!!!!!!! (Right hand only, left hand got air several times.)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So... yeah... did I win? haha. It was lifted to lockout after a couple of aired attempts, got it up there for just a sec before i had to put it down. but damnit, I got. Sorry, no video though. Next time I'll try to arrange to film it.

No video, didn't happen! :shuriken: Just kidding. Congrats on the accomplishment!!!

• Like 1

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No video, didn't happen! :shuriken: Just kidding. Congrats on the accomplishment!!!

Haha thanks dude. I really did not expect that to happen. I thought id top out around 140... So I didn't have any plans of filming it. Haha. Nobody else was even here to do so.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Good lift on there. What kind of plates are you using? Since the holle it up is a loading dumbell (with narrow grip area), it's much easier to brace your wrist/forearm against the weight and assist with the lift. With the actual inch you don't get this advantage. Something to think about or take notice of when training. Try to keep the dumbell level and that sort of thing to avoid assistance.

Edited by ThickerThanILook

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Good lift on there. What kind of plates are you using? Since the holle it up is a loading dumbell (with narrow grip area), it's much easier to brace your wrist/forearm against the weight and assist with the lift. With the actual inch you don't get this advantage. Something to think about or take notice of when training. Try to keep the dumbell level and that sort of thing to avoid assistance.

Yeah I've thought about that too. I try and avoid this "bracing" but some incidnetal contact is inevitable if you're pulling it to lockout... And the plates are just odd and ends. Haha. Assorted standard plates, but I have enough of them, so I have some Olympics pinned in there too. 25s, 10s, and 5s.

Suppose i could put the smallest plates on the inside and the biggest on the outside so as to better avoid the bracing....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah I've thought about that too. I try and avoid this "bracing" but some incidnetal contact is inevitable if you're pulling it to lockout... And the plates are just odd and ends. Haha. Assorted standard plates, but I have enough of them, so I have some Olympics pinned in there too. 25s, 10s, and 5s.

Suppose i could put the smallest plates on the inside and the biggest on the outside so as to better avoid the bracing....

I think you'd have that problem with any size weight -- unless they were the same circumference as the handle! And those would be pretty tiny... I wouldn't feel confident lifting the inch only doing 172 on the holle it up. I think others have tried and say you need to be about 20-30+ pounds over (depending on how much you brace). The advantage the holle has over other dumbells is the off-set handle which simulates the inch's tendency to roll out of your hand.

Edited by ThickerThanILook

Well, if somebody wants to bring a me a replica Inch, we'll see if I can lift that sucker. Haha

Yea same here! I got my plate loaded HM trainer at 173 without my wrist

touching the plates.

• Like 1

Yea same here! I got my plate loaded HM trainer at 173 without my wrist

touching the plates.

Awesome!

yeah I don't plan on stopping at that weight... But I need To get more plates first! Haha. Wanna see how long it takes to get to 200.

Nice i would like to see a company come out with a cheaper Inch Replica.

• Like 1

Nice i would like to see a company come out with a cheaper Inch Replica.

For sure. There is no way I could justify buying one of those things as it is right now, even if I had that kind of money to spare.

Yea the one i made works for now, Maybe i will have one made at a

machine shop someday.

You may also try balancing something on the plates in order to keep the handle level. They usually put a soda can on the inch globes to check for tilt when lifting :)

You may also try balancing something on the plates in order to keep the handle level. They usually put a soda can on the inch globes to check for tilt when lifting :)

Good idea. When I get some more plates of the same make, I will try that. As it is now I think it would be too uneven along the plates to do that. Haha

Guest Squat More

Considering the cost of getting a foundry to make Inch dumbbells, getting them to the best specs and weight as possible, I don't find the ones Jason makes to be over priced at all, he could be charging way more going through everything that went into getting them made.

Those are AWESOME clean attempts John, but be careful you could really mess you thumb up with that. I think I remember reading Laine Snook saying he hurt his thumb in an Inch clean attempt once, could be wrong but could have sworn it was Laine.

Nice work Tommy!!! You've really mastered the pick of that thing. Does the continental put more pressure on the thumb at the top?

Edited by bwwm

Sweet tommy! Thats the type of trainer i want to make!

Guest Squat More

JT Straussner has an inch trainer he welded, various 10, 5, 2.5 and 1.25 pound plates I believe were the weights with a 2.5" handle, welded solid. The picture is on his facebook page somewhere, maybe if he sees this he will share it. I refuse to take liberties with sharing someone elses photographs.

Here's a bunch of tonight's attempts at cleaning the 140lb Bosco Bell. I've got a way's to go, but I could see it happening in the near future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3JEZlMPIus

nice attempts hoss! ..have you tried a continental clean with that bell yet?

Thanks! Nice vids....honestly never thought to try that, I think I'll have to give that a shot!

Sweet tommy! Thats the type of trainer i want to make!

word. this one lasted over 2 years of getting dropped straight onto the concrete everyday before it finally broke. and was only a butt weld with no in-lay. im sure if you made this same bell and werent as hard on it, and also put some sort of sealer so the welds dont rust, it would last a lifetime. and it would DEFINITELY last a looong time if you were to have a machine shop in-lay the bells for the handle, then welded it in place.
I will proble slap one together myself, luckly i work somewhere

with plenty of steel and tools;)

Nice lifting fellas !

I have the original Holle it up prototype bell and if you use it with the right angle it's much harder than a Thomas Inch dumbbell . If you can do 178 lbs on the Holle it up d/b you'll mangle the Inch !

• Like 1