Donati's Log Of Steel Bending, Grip And Powerlifting

Buccos1

Strong pressing Carl!

Thanks Jason! Kinda surprised myself with that set of 20. Wasn't even going to do bench either but had a spot for shirted and decided to get in a quick session.

• Like 1

Strong pressing Carl!

I'll second that.

What are your goals for the contest, Carl?

• Like 1

Strong pressing Carl!

I'll second that.

Thanks Eric! I'm going to compete single-ply without a suit. I'd like to hit a 1400 total.

Goals for each lift:

Squat - 460

Bench - 400

Deadlift - 540

Wed (4/29)

Deadlift

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 315

add suit/straps down

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 475

straps up

(1x1) 525

Strong pressing Carl!

I'll second that.

Thanks Eric! I'm going to compete single-ply without a suit. I'd like to hit a 1400 total.

Goals for each lift:

Squat - 460

Bench - 400

Deadlift - 540

Very nice numbers! So that's a single ply bench shirt but no squat or deadlift suit?

Eric -

I will wear loose Centurion briefs (off-and-on in 2-3 seconds). I hate squat suits and the WNPF lets lifters go single-ply briefs if under a regular singlet. Depending on how my hips feel, I might go raw for deadlift, but would pull conventional. If I'm in my DL suit, I'd go sumo. But my raw deadlift numbers would be closer to 500.

Gotcha.

Fri (5/1)

Floor Press

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 245

(1x1) 295

(1x1) 310

Speed Bench Press

(1x5) 135

(2x3) 155

(5x3) 155 - add chains

Shrugs

(1x5) 225

(1x5) 315

(1x5) 405

(1x5) 475

(1x3) 525

Angled Kettlebell Pushups

(2x20)

Grippers - MMS

(1x5) T

(1x3) #2

(2x0) #2.5 (131lb.)

I made a few attempts on my 131lb. #2.5 … wasn't expecting much, but ended up getting the handles to about 5mm. I need to get more-solid on my set, and quit fumbling around so much with more difficult grippers, trying to get it "perfect." In the end, I think I end up overanalyzing it and end up beat from the start.

Sat (5/2)

Squats

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 315

add briefs

(1x2) 405

(1x1) 455

(1x1) 475

I set the rack bars one setting lower today, with the intention of hitting proper depth each rep. Doing this took me down another inch, which threw my form off a little on the 405 and 455. But, the 475 felt good, and was at or below proper depth. The 475 is more than my goal for the meet, but for those of you who have competed before, you know things never go as planned.

• Like 1

Sun (5/3)

Grippers - MMS

(1x3) #1

(1x3) #1.5

(1x1) GHP5

(1x1) GHP6 (128lb.)

Grippers - 25mm

(1x3) GHP5

DO - IMPs

Yellow Nail

Yellow Nail (4.5")

Red Nail

DU - IMPs

Yellow Nail

1/4 x 6" Grade 5

Ironmind Hub

(1x1) 50

(1x1) 60

Blob 35 - Holds

5 seconds

5 seconds

FINALLY, a PR on grippers! :grin: I closed the 126lb. Super Master sometime last year, probably close to a year, and have been trying to surpass it since. I finally was able to close a GHP6, and hit a PR of 128lbs. I have a GHP6 (131lb.) and #2.5 (131lb.) which are on the docket next.

• Like 2

Mon (5/4)

Bench Press

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x1) 245

(1x1) 300

(1x1) 345

Bench Press - Sling Shot

(1x1) 385

(1x1) 395

Rope Pushdowns

(2x15) 50

I wasn't planning on attempting 345 raw today, especially after 300 moved slowish, right before it. But, I decided to make the attempt, and was able to get it up. (I'll try to post the video later today.) 345 ranks as my second heaviest rep raw, right after the 350 over a year ago. Onward and upward to 365!

I put together a tricep pushdown apparatus in my power rack, and was able to get some reps in with pushdowns. I've sorely missed doing these, not having a pulley machine, training at home. I still have some tweaks to do with it before I go for heavier stuff, but it was great to get some reps in.

• Like 2

Mon (5/4)

Bench Press

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x1) 245

(1x1) 300

(1x1) 345

Bench Press - Sling Shot

(1x1) 385

(1x1) 395

Rope Pushdowns

(2x15) 50

I wasn't planning on attempting 345 raw today, especially after 300 moved slowish, right before it. But, I decided to make the attempt, and was able to get it up. (I'll try to post the video later today.) 345 ranks as my second heaviest rep raw, right after the 350 over a year ago. Onward and upward to 365!

I put together a tricep pushdown apparatus in my power rack, and was able to get some reps in with pushdowns. I've sorely missed doing these, not having a pulley machine, training at home. I still have some tweaks to do with it before I go for heavier stuff, but it was great to get some reps in

Great work man! I recently started benching again...it always used to bother my shoulders but by narrowing my grip and tucking my elbows it seems to be a good lift for me. Weak as balls on it though. Any tips?

• Like 1

Very nice bench!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Anthony, that is definitely a good strategy to implement. It's going to be different with everyone but the best way to go is try some different grips and positioning, while starting with 135 or so. Document and track how you feel over the next month. I know some big benchers with shoulder injuries that bench strictly close-grip. Another possible way to go is reverse-grip, but proceed with caution with that style!

• Like 1

Here is the 345 bench from yesterday. Not a perfect rep, but I'll take it! Bodyweight was around 195lbs.

• Like 5

Man shit!

LOL Thanks man!

Looking strong dude! Keep it up!

• Like 1

Looking strong dude! Keep it up!

Thanks Chez! I want that 365 bad!

Wed (5/6)

Floor Press

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 245

(1x1) 295

(1x1) 315

Speed Bench Press

(1x5) 135

(2x3) 135 - add bands

(5x3) 155

Shrugs

(2x5) 315

(1x5) 405

(1x5) 455

Rope Pushdowns

(1x8) 35

(1x8) 70

Lying Kettlebell Extensions

(1x8) 35

Decline Kettlebell Pushups

(1x20)

The 315 floor press rep was tough … almost didn't get back up, which would have been a massive dump, as my safety pins are several inches below the lowest point when the tris are on the ground. I only had about 30 minutes to train today, so there was almost no rest between sets.

I FINALLY got 150lbs. on the 2-hand pinch! I made an attempt today (camera on) and got nothing ... zero movement. Then, about a minute after (after shutting camera off in disgust), I tried again and stood up with it ... actually controlling it on the way down too. So, I turned the camera back on for one more attempt and was able to get it up some (link below). I am putting up another link too to see my set-up with a lighter weight, hoping for some insight/tips/critique.

150 partial lift

Set-up Advice

Two of the things I did differently from the 125 to 150 attempts was with the 150, I stood a little further in front of the plates, and tilted it back a little more. I think this might have been the difference, but need to try these things again.

I watched both of these vids , your doing something I can't quite put my finger on, but your setup, or the way your coming at it looks off. your elbows look really bent, and it looks as if you're coming at the apparatus with your hands side ways and really far appart, instead of slightly angled. then when you pull your hand straighten up and you lose all the grip that you just spent time setting up. you set your right hand real fast and then you fiddle around with your left hand at a different angle. in my opinion you should have your hands slightly angled with somewhat of a triangle in between your fingers lock in your thumbs at the same time and then stretch your fingers over the apparatus squeeze all your might and then pull. Do you see what I mean? Maybe this can help.

Parris

Thanks for checking it out. The Euro has been one of the most frustrating things for me (ever) in training. I will keep working on my technique and try to adjust some of the things you suggested. I'm not planning on hitting the Euro again for awhile, but might get back with it this summer.

One of the the things that messed me up is the different textures on the ones I've used. I have almost no chalk on mine, and have gotten steady "improvement" with it. But, in comps, I've had difficulty with the feel of some of the more seasoned ones. With mine, my #s climbed slowly, ultimately up to around 155. But with the other ones I've used, my grip on it was really inconsistent.

Fri (5/8)

Grippers - MMS

(1x3) #1

(1x3) #1.5

(1x3) #2

(2x0) GM (140lb.)

Ironmind Hub

(1x1) 50

(1x1) 55

(1x1) 60

1" V-Bar

(1x1) 140

(1x1) 175

(1x1) 200

Ironmind Pinch Block

(1x1) 52.5

(1x1) 57.5

(1x0) 62.5

Rolling Thunder

(1x1) 87.5

(1x1) 112.5

(1x0) 120

I made two attempts at my 140lb. Grand Master. This was the hardest gripper I have ever tried to close (not including the #3s I have done with the Silver Bullet). The first attempt was to about 1.5 cms. The second was a little better … closer to 10mm. I need to get a gripper in the mid-130s. I have two 131lb. grippers (COC and GHP6) that I will start to include in my training more. Either one of them would be a PR for me.

Edited by Buccos1

Sat (5/9)

Squats

(1x3) 135

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 315

add briefs

(1x1) 405

(2x1) 455

(1x1) 475

I tried squatting in my tight briefs, and didn't have a good session. They are really tight in the hips and I couldn't get my knees out on the descent. I'm not sure what I'm going to wear at the meet--the old, loose ones or the tighter pair.

• Like 1