Jedd Johnson Is In The Grip Well

Bill Piche

3) What indicators do you look for in over trained athletes without having to submit blood samples?

1. The way they walk into the door.

2. Their attitude.

3. When they miss lifts they normally get.

4. Bitchiness.

Those are the 4 main things I can think fo right now. When your body is shot, generally your attitude is crap too. A trainer or strength coach must ALWAYS be assessing the client or athlete at all times and be ready to modify the program accordingly.

I have never taken any blood samples of the guys I have trained.

Thanks Jedd! Just wanted to clarify that I've never taken blood samples from my athletes either.

I made that statement assuming the reader would understand this to mean without going to a physician

and having blood samples taken to measure testosterone and cortisol levels. The 2 key markers of an

over-trained male athlete. Sorry for not clarifying brother!

Hey Jedd,

Thanks for doing this. There has been a lot of useful information here, especially for someone just starting out with a lot of these lifts. Its super helpful.

Can you comment on any relationship between overall arm strength and specific grip lifts? Like when you are doing a lot of curls or whatnot, will that carry over into say grippers. Do you have some favorite arm movements, or are the standard bodybuilder staples a good way to test things out?

Also, how important is levering in overall grip performance?

Thanks again.

2) Could you only train on the WD for months and see great gains with reverse bending?

3) Does reverse bending have much carry over to the WD?

Thanks again for taking time out to answer these questions. Much appreciated.

2. It is possible, I suppose, but you need to use it properly for reverse bending.

3. I'd imagine some, especially as far as conditioning, but not sure how much.

Sorry for the lack of solid answers. The movement patterns are similar, but the techniques are not. I cover this in great detail in this video: Wrist Developer

That video outlines the difference between the two feats and how you can get the best out of the WD.

Should one specialize on grip goals or work overall grip and have multiple goals at once?

The way I see it, it depends on what the primary goal is.

Specialization, in my experience is the quickest way to get to a goal. If you have multiple goals and work towards all of them, it will most likely take longer to accomplish all of these goals than specialization.

This is of course assuming that the person training has a regular life with a conventional job, family, and other life desires. If someone were independently wealthy or owned a gym and they could be inside the gym from morning to night, they could devote a lot more time to training than a person who only has 1 to 3 hours to train at a time.

Of course, I have at times focused on several goals at once and saw excellent progress in all of them. I call it a Goal Pyramid. I select one main goal - that is the very top of the pyramid. Then I select separate, but related goals which make up the base of the pyramid. Because all 4 goals are related, all the work you do on them assists the other goals. I have spoken about this at The Grip Authority before with my guys and gals.

I will also say that I think if you work multiple goals, you will see more well-rounded grip development. Whereas if you work only toward one goal specifically, you might develop less broadly. Examples are grippers and bending. Both seem to neglect the thumb, so pinching, thick bar, and open hand training will most likely suffer.

Hopefully this answers your question. If not, please post again. Or add any related questions.

If you focus on one goal at a time, specalization, would you lose new gained strength in say grippers if you switched to another specific goal like RT or will the gripper strength stay more or less the same even if left untrained for like 2 months?

I would think so, yes, at least a degree. Especially because I think you would love coordination to set the gripper, swipe the card or block, and squeeze the handles down to closed.

However, Mike Rinderle proved you don't have to squeeze grippers to keep it, so how much you lose may only be a small amount.

• Like 1

3) What is the most effective set/rep approach you've found so far to train thick bar?

5 sets of 3. It has worked best for me on Axle and Inch Dumbbell.

3) What is the most effective set/rep approach you've found so far to train thick bar?

5 sets of 3. It has worked best for me on Axle and Inch Dumbbell.

When you say 5 sets of 3, do you use the same weight? pyramid? and what percentage of your max? thx

The most I can possibly do on that day. I can't target a % because my strength levels are always different.

Do you break up different types of grip on diff day or do it all in one session? And how many days rest between training spacific types of grip?

I usually train two aspects of grip per session. Not all of them, unless it is a medley day.

It's usually 2 days in a row on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off, 2 days on.

One questions: Any regrets?

One thing I do regret sometimes is that I never pursued Pro Wrestling. I basically pussied out due to my back. I wish I would have just gone for it. There is a wrestling school less than 2 hours away that I could have gone to in order to get started.

What would you consider your 5 all time greatest achievements in (1) open/closed hand crushing grip, (2) pinch grip, and (3) wrist strength?

What do you consider open hand crushing?

4. Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean.

In New Mexico, if you go out for Mexican food, they ask you if you want the red or the green hatch chili sauce. I guess it's a poor attempt at humor, if nobody gets it.

Thanks for the responses!

We totally have like no Mexican restaurants here. I would probably go red I guess.

If one were to get into block weight training, could you recommend a few weights/shapes/etc to get started that would be the most productive? Loadable blobs? Hex weights?

Thanks!!!

Stronger Grip came out with a great tool for training block weights with their Loadable Blob. It lets you train open hand on a block that is challenging and you can load it with shot or with plates. It is a good test.

Hex weights are fine, but it seems a lot of the newer hex weights are very large and might be tougher for smaller handed individuals. I would just look for something you can get all your fingers and thumb on, that way you can actually train with it. At least 40-lbs would seem to be a good starting point.

• Like 2

3) What indicators do you look for in over trained athletes without having to submit blood samples?

1. The way they walk into the door.

2. Their attitude.

3. When they miss lifts they normally get.

4. Bitchiness.

Those are the 4 main things I can think fo right now. When your body is shot, generally your attitude is crap too. A trainer or strength coach must ALWAYS be assessing the client or athlete at all times and be ready to modify the program accordingly.

I have never taken any blood samples of the guys I have trained.

Thanks Jedd! Just wanted to clarify that I've never taken blood samples from my athletes either.

I made that statement assuming the reader would understand this to mean without going to a physician

and having blood samples taken to measure testosterone and cortisol levels. The 2 key markers of an

over-trained male athlete. Sorry for not clarifying brother!

No problem. I am not even familiar with those tests. I think it's most important the coach/trainer keeps an eye on his athletes and monitors. It would seem like a blood test would be awfully expensive means to diagnose it. Plus, if they are properly watching volume, %'s and using deloads, it should be fairly easy to avoid overtraining.

Hey Jedd,

Thanks for doing this. There has been a lot of useful information here, especially for someone just starting out with a lot of these lifts. Its super helpful.

Can you comment on any relationship between overall arm strength and specific grip lifts? Like when you are doing a lot of curls or whatnot, will that carry over into say grippers. Do you have some favorite arm movements, or are the standard bodybuilder staples a good way to test things out?

Thanks again.

The stronger you are everywhere, the better. I think everyone should try to get as strong as possible as long as they are healthy and know what they are doing. So, I am sure there is benefit to having strong biceps/arms in relationship to gripper closing. But there is probably even more importance on knowing proper technique with grippers. Grippers are very highly technical, as I am sure you know.

One thing I do regret sometimes is that I never pursued Pro Wrestling. I basically pussied out due to my back. I wish I would have just gone for it. There is a wrestling school less than 2 hours away that I could have gone to in order to get started.

Well Napalm would have been a great name anyway for a wrestler. You're still young - you should at least go to the school and try it out - even if you have no intention of going all the way through with it.

• Like 1

Do you have some favorite arm movements, or are the standard bodybuilder staples a good way to test things out?

I like dumbbell curls, barbell curls with Globe Gripz, hammer curls, EZ Bar Curls and Reverse Curls. All of these allow the forearm and wrist to move more freely or in a "safer" position for me personally. Fully pronated or supinated just doesn't work for me.

Well Napalm would have been a great name anyway for a wrestler. You're still young - you should at least go to the school and try it out - even if you have no intention of going all the way through with it.

Napalm Jedd is the name I invented when I tried out for Tough Enough, the WWE reality show back in 2001, actually. I was going to be a pyromaniac who set himself on fire when he won matches in order to celebrate the victory. I used to set my hands on fire quite a bit in college at parties.

I think minimal. I am not even sure how important it is for bending. I am much bigger on isometrics for the wrist and working the extensors.

I am through all the questions guys.

• Like 2

This Grip Well thread will close for questions tomorrow. Jedd will then finish up answering (if needed) for the next 2 weeks after.

Jedd, on the note of curls...

I have the same problem, can't do regular barbell curls (whatever position that is called) but I can do dumbbell and EZBar curls without wrist pain.... Which do you think is better of the two for building strength?

If doing only one, I would say EZ br curls because you can do more weight and if you ever wanted to do one arm work you could use the EZ curl bar.

• Like 1

Excellent. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us here!

• Like 1

Absolutely.

• Like 2

hey Jedd I have one other question for you, what are some things you may have wanted to change about the grip sport but maybe the other guys didnt agree with you on, or just havent yet.

Parris

Edited by rico300zx
  • Like 2

hey Jedd I have one other question for you, what are some things you may have wanted to change about the grip sport but maybe the other guys didnt agree with you on, or just havent yet.
Parris

I don't think it would be right to go into detail about things the IGC has discussed and voted on. However, one thing I do want that I sometimes think others do not want is for the sport to grow, get more money flowing into it, have more corporate support, and possibly one day be on television and in the Olympics.

• Like 3