Experimental Rt Program Training Log

Guest Squat More

Guest Squat More

It's actually one work set, followed by an isometric hold of a weight 5-10lbs heavier than that days working weight for 3-5 seconds. This is where you squeeze as hard as possible at lockout.

Are you saying no rest in between the sets? 10 rep set then add 5 lbs and go straight into the static hold?

Nah you give yourself a bit of time after the 10 rep set to recover, this could be two minutes or ten, it all depends on you. Once you feel recovered you add the weight, either five or ten pounds and do an isometric hold with it, you can use your other hand to help you pull it to lockout before letting go and holding for three to five seconds.

should it be around 100% effort to hold for the 3-5 sec?

Yeah you're squeezing as hard as possible with the one isometric hold after your work set, if you can squeeze and hold for longer than 5 seconds then you're not squeezing hard enough and fatiguing your grip and working the tendons hard enough - 100% on the iso holds. Doing this is the reason the TTK and wrist roller work are cut in half, or even more, for recovery purposes. Pumping blood into the forearm and thumb pad and nothing more.

I have said it a few times, you want light weight / resistance on the assistance TTK/Thumb and wrist roller/wrist curls, its for recovery not building strength, you build strength in the main movement you're training for (pulling on the RT) and your assistance should be to assist recovery and add a bit of hypertrophy, kinda like doing assistance after the main barbell lifts (squats, bench, deads, OHP)

Letting everyone know, I came down sick and had to put all training to the side, should be fine now, will update later tonight or tomorrow.

No worries man, my back has been messed up for a good while now (t spine issues) taking my time to rehab it and increase mobility, my barbells, plates, and grip toys will still be here tomorrow and next week. I'm not rushing myself back until I'm ready.

Just started I love the RT once I saw this workout I had to try it and once a week is up my ally. my max is 200lbs on the pin so today I started with 150lbs got 14 right handed and 12 left handed

Since I'm focused on grippers as well ill be doing my RT workout the day after doing grippers we'll see how it goes

150x10 both hands with plenty left in the tank

155 static hold

Did my wrist curls with a handle on a plate stack. Wasn't really payin attention to the weight or counting reps just pumpin up the forearm.

Guest Squat More

Is anyone noticing any difference in growth of the forearm, wrist and thumb pad yet? Just curious.

My back is healing up well, no pain, mobility is back to what it was, and I am trying to improve it even further. May or may not start training again tomorrow and have a RT workout, haven't really done anything the last little while since I got hurt. back to the program, starting over to week 1 again when I am back.

Wasn't able to perform last week because of being sick and making up for it this week were I left off.

9/03/2013, Week 4)

Rolling Thunder: 97lbs x 2...148.9lbs x 12

TTK: 1x40 - 39.8lbs

Wrist Roller: 1x20 - 140.8lbs, Forwards and Reverse

155x10 both hands

160 static hold

barbell wrist curls 95x15 for a bunch of sets wasn't really counting

Had to dig deep for the last couple reps with the righty. Lefty had more. Next week will be interesting

Is anyone noticing any difference in growth of the forearm, wrist and thumb pad yet? Just curious.

Not that I notice but I'm not a good test subject for that because I have lost close to 40 lbs. body weight in the past 7-8 weeks. I'm getting stronger on the RT though, no doubt about that. And that's despite the weight cut.

Counted the plates wrong on my last workout the weight was actually 160

Today's workout I did 165 got 15 right handed and 12 left handed got more reps with a higher weight love this workout fits my schedule nicely

9/11/13
rt 90 2x2, 130 13/12
135 hold

I think this was week 5. I missed last wed because of stuff. my reps were way down. I think that it's because the night before I did pull ups off of revolving thick handles for 5 sets and then 5 sets of seated rows with fat grips, and suitcase dead holds for my obliques. i noticed when I left the gym my thumbs were achy in the joint. hoping it's not just that a slight increase in weight kills my strength.

9/17/2013 Week 5)

Rolling Thunder: 98lbs x 2...154.8lbs x 10...165.8lbs x 5 seconds

TTK: 2X10 - 53lbs

Hammer Lever: 1x10 - 9 lbs

anyone reaching their last week yet?

Im starting my program any day now and Im curious on how it has gone for ye all

Guest Squat More

After my back injury I wasn't able to train for a while, and have recently made some changes to my barbell training and my grip training. I am not doing the program now, mainly because I already know it works well for me and I am looking to focus on a more well rounded grip routine with crush and pinch included instead of thickbar being my only focus.

I still plan to do a variation of this program but it will only be Rolling Thunder work once a month on my thickbar/squat day, for a set of 10-13 reps, adding 10# to my working weight every fourth week that the Rolling Thunder rolls around. Other thickbar days will be adjustable thickbar and then bosco bell / inch work with the fourth week being a break from grip.

Juha and David Horne have both said that the adjustable thickbar has helped their inch lifting and Juha has said the adjustable thickbar has raised his rolling thunder numbers more than anything else. Hell, I may even write up myself a program for the adjustable thickbar when I finally get my Inch and train that for a while and see where it takes me. I see an Inch lift within three months of receiving it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't had time to do this program and had to put it on hold for right now, but I will start it again at a later point.

I started the program yesterday and it felt nice.

I got an axle yesterday and it had to try it out aswell, after the RTsession.

Anyone had any luck with this program yet?

I got 33 reps righty and 31 lefty on my training set.

Thats kinda high, ye? :)

Really sore today, even in the hands and fingers haha

Yeah but I maxed out and then took 70% of that weight like the program said :)

Maybe I should jump 10 lbs instead of 5 for the next session?

i think my numbers might be dropping so hard because of all the extra thick bar work I am doing. I am going to be dropping the inch rows for a 2" handle and starting over. for my hands the 2" and RT sizes are basically different exercises.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

My hand is about 7 1/4" so the 2" axle and RT are totally different beasts to me too Brent.

That is the plan Massey, if you can rep or near rep your old max, then you know after some rest a new 1rm will fall and the volume from this program strengthens both muscle and tendon, which will assist you later down the road when you pull more heavy triples, doubles, or singles to avoid injury.

One thing I wanted to incorporate but didn't, because I never used it in my training was thumbless, cupped finger but neutral wrist lifts. I know Ben Edwards and lots of other guys have said doing that helped their RT numbers. I always did the assisted lifts to isometric holds.

Maybe after I come to dominate the blob and pinch two 45s with both hands I will run this RT program again with the thumbless training.

Edited by Squat More
  • Like 1

Got 185 for 10 right and 8 left forgot the hold last week did it this week got 195 for 5 seconds right and 3 seconds left one more workout then two weeks of rest then max can't wait feeling really strong

• Like 1

Funny feeling in the fingers a couple of days after training RT and stuff.

I have training soreness inbetween my fingers haha and in my hand, around the bones.

Sick. Never get that from grippers.