Experimental Rt Program Training Log

Guest Squat More

Thanks to Squat More I just started this program.

A humbling week 1 - 130# 15/15 - after a squat workout this felt like cardio

Today I did RT between heavy benching.

I PRed in training, hard!

Got 8 reps lefty and 12 reps righty with 73kilo :) both PRs.

Then I held almost 75kg for many seconds in the static hold. Crushing the *********** out of the handle.

Keeping this up and I will have beaten most of my RTgoals for 2014 before spring turns to summer :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I repped 70kg (not counting handle and pin) for 8 reps. For sure a PB!

Compare that to last cycles maxday when I repped the same weight for 3 reps before maxing. 3 reps was max. Still PRed @ 80kg 1rm.

Today I repped 72,5kg for 8 reps, still not including handle and loading pin. Hahaha!

I've kept your program for the RTtraining and the holds and the way I increase weight but I've started doing other stuff on the side.

Today I did 8 reps on 72,5kg RT. A few seconds hold on 75kg x1.

wrist curls with my offset dumbell 3x10 with dumbell + added 15kg.

Reverse 2,5'' wristroller 3x1@10, 15 and 17,5kg repping the weights at the top til failure.

Chris climber curl; 2xMax with 15kg added.

Used one of those clamps for dynamic thumb training. 3xMax + overcrush hold at last rep.

In two days I'll do some light wristcurls for recovery work.

Then I'll probably rest alittle more than a week because I only had 4 days of rest since the last time I did RT and because I did so much today. Fried.

Hope to rep 75kg like crazy next session!

If 3 reps @ 70kg took me to 80kg I must be around 90+ now? :))))))

HAIL YOU JON!

• Like 2

Last week I repped 70kg (not counting handle and pin) for 8 reps. For sure a PB!

Compare that to last cycles maxday when I repped the same weight for 3 reps before maxing. 3 reps was max. Still PRed @ 80kg 1rm.

Today I repped 72,5kg for 8 reps, still not including handle and loading pin. Hahaha!

I've kept your program for the RTtraining and the holds and the way I increase weight but I've started doing other stuff on the side.

Reverse 2,5'' wristroller 3x1@10, 15 and 17,5kg repping the weights at the top til failure.

Used one of those clamps for dynamic thumb training. 3xMax + overcrush hold at last rep.

Then I'll probably rest alittle more than a week because I only had 4 days of rest since the last time I did RT and because I did so much today. Fried.

HAIL YOU JON!

Wouldn't mind trying this RT program! good to see you are crossing off your goals

• Like 1

HAIL YOU JON!

Wouldn't mind trying this RT program! good to see you are crossing off your goals

Do it! :)

• Like 1

Juha and David Horne have both said that the adjustable thickbar has helped their inch lifting and Juha has said the adjustable thickbar has raised his rolling thunder numbers more than anything else.

you just helped david sell me one hehehe

Guest Squat More

Oh wow, someone actually kept their ego at bay, followed the program and made gains?!?!?! Crazy!!!!!!!! Just shows what hard work and not being a closed minded tool can do for someone. Too bad more people weren't like that eh?

I listened to laine snook and made sick gains on the RT in a short period of time, I listened to david horne, kody burns and aaron corcorran and made and continue to make sick gains on europinch. Now you're listening to my program as I wrote it and you're making sick gains on the rolling thunder? Glad to know you're not an askhole man. Stick with this and slowly incorporate more varied aspects of grip as you become more accustom to the volumes of this kind of training. I fully believe sticking to this kind of stuff over time will allow you the durability to expand out to more varied grip training (crush, pinch etc) and make good gains in those while still focusing on thickbar and even more specifically rolling thunder as a main goal.

Right now someone with no drive to be consistent on anything is reading this and thinking "Yeah sure it worked for them but everyone is different" singing the same old excuses that people who've never been good at anything make: it wont work for me, genetics, small hands, whaa whaa whaa.

• Like 1

So I'm mid way through my 2nd cycle on this program and the gains just keep on coming I've been using an old style handle at my gym it spins just fine but I finally got the new style in the mail thinking I should just go to the new handle and hopefully not miss a beat or should I wait till the program is over then switch?

Guest Squat More

I found my old handle a lot tougher than the newer one to be honest. The old model was just pvc pipe with some slick high quality paint over it - the newer handle is a lot better of a grip surface, not shiny slick. It should also be noted that my old style RT handle spins fine, I got it from Tim Struse when he sold his equipment some time back and there has never been any problem with it's spin.

I prefer to use no chalk on my hand, I sometimes wet my palm with the tiniest bit of water then rub my hands together very fast so all the water evaporates, this leaves my skin supple and nice and dry at the same time. I think not using chalk is a big reason my rolling thunder spins almost as well as the day I got it, not using chalk makes it hard to get gunked up with anything aside from dust particles in the air.

• Like 1

So I'm mid way through my 2nd cycle on this program and the gains just keep on coming I've been using an old style handle at my gym it spins just fine but I finally got the new style in the mail thinking I should just go to the new handle and hopefully not miss a beat or should I wait till the program is over then switch?

Look how paul tests the handle to see how it spins. If the old handle easily falls into place like his does then its good. Mine doesn't it sticks a bit and sometimes it can be a lot easier. Though I tested a new handle that stuck a little also at clay edgins gym-but he is going to clean it well for his contest-. I would work more with the new handle though personally because thats what is used in contests more now. My goal is to get a new handle and a crusher handle to work with.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

Guest Squat More

Stephen

Arne Persson of Sweden also makes a very tough 60mm stainless steel rolling handle. Martin Arildsson sent me one as a gift and 146# was glued to the floor, where as the new Rolling Thunder I was able to lift it to lockout, hold it and look around in a smart arsed manner. Arne is active on Facebook and is also a member of the forums here, this is his profile though I am not sure how active he is here: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showuser=234

I have owned a FBBC crusher in the past and Arne's handle is even tougher than that.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wanted to share my experience. I tested for a baseline, trained, and tested again with the same RT handle. It was an older model at the gym I joined for the winter. It doesn't spin as freely as I would like but I haven't ever trained the RT before and it was available.

I asked, and Mr. Umperville sent me a 8 week program(8th week is a deload). I tested for a baseline and my left hand failed after 160#. I started my training at 120# not 130 like in an earlier post. At 135# the wheels came off with my left hand dropping below the prescribed 10 reps. I decided to continue on as long as my right hand held out and I would rest-pause with my left hand to complete all 10 reps.

I modified the program further by moving the wrist curls to a different day for time reasons and using more of a pyramid for my warmups(ex. 70x2, 105x2, 130x2).

I tested for a new max after the 8th week deload. My left hand topped out at 170# which was very interesting considering the rest-pause technique.

My right hand work up went like this 140x2(super easy), 155x1(easy), 165x1(solid), 175x0(?), 170x1(struggle), 175x"glued to the floor".

I did see some variation over the seven weeks but it was odd to have an even result at the end for both hands.

I am interested to run the program over a second time and see how the end results compare. I may start again in a few weeks after some lower rep/set workouts and possibly another test. I hope to have a more freely spinning handle for the second go round as well.

Thank you, Mr. Umperville. I am enjoying being part of the experiment.

• Like 1

I've ran this program for 3 cycles now and have gained on each one went from a old crusty handle to a brand new one that spins very easy and my weight dropped a lot but now I'm almost at my old weight I'll post my results at the end of My current cycle

• 1 year later...

Anyone still got this program?