Experimental Rt Program Training Log

Guest Squat More

Guest Squat More

So this is the log for everyone who is giving the rolling thunder training program I wrote up a go. I started today with my left hand, this cycle around I am only training my left, when I finish the 10 weeks I will reboot and train both hands equally. My right is working towards dominating my Sorinex bosco bell.

Todays training...

Cycle 1, week 1 - Starting Weight 135#

Rolling Thunder, new model, FBBC loading pin - Left hand

97.5# x 2
135# x 2
135# x 15

TTK
10# 3x10

Wrist Roller
50# 2x8

The reason I used the FBBC loading pin is because it is shorter than the Iron Mind 2" pin, which increases the range of motion in pulls, which in turn results in more time under tension for your grip on each pull. I believe there is a 2.5 to 3" difference so I use the FBBC pin in training and the Iron Mind pin for when I am attempting new maxes.

A picture for comparison:

536715_203058109858921_1493450607_n.jpg

On the TTK: I use this after my working set on the rolling thunder, I have my TTK sitting on a home made arm wrestling table I have, I train each hand by itself with the 10#, making sure to keep my working hands elbow low and to use as much "pinch" of the thumb and as little body english as possible to close the implement, this is the reason for keeping my elbow low. I have decided that every two weeks I will add weight, either 1.25 or 2.5 lbs, again to avoid accommodation.

On wrist rolling: I count each time I roll the weight up, then back down under control as one repetition, so for one set, I do this 8 times. Hence the reason for using 50lbs, it is a pretty light weight but for the repetitions and sets, it does a very good job at pumping the forearm full of blood and giving you a tiny burn. Others may need more or less weight, this is all up to what you know you can handle I plan to add 5# to the wrist roller every two weeks to prevent accommodation.

For the people who don't have a TTK and choose some other method of dynamic thumb work, remember to use something light enough that it will not affect your training. High volume RT sets take a lot out of the thumb.

• Like 2

Benefits or not of doing lighter weight and higher reps on the wristroller?

Benefits or not of doing heavier weight and lower reps on the wristroller?

Its a real nice exercise, I love it!

This will be really interesting to follow!

• Like 1

8/06/2013 Rolling Thunder Program: Week 1, 110lbs starting weight

Here's my input for this training log. (This will be updated every Tuesday until 10 weeks have passed.)

RT Warm Up: 2x2 (97lbs first set, 99.5lbs second set)

RT Working Set: 1x15 (110lbs) (Really had to work on getting the numbers once I got past the 9th rep, not very big on high rep work but that's besides that point.)

Pony Clamp: 3x10 (Feel about 16-20lbs of force) (Used this more like a TTK for reps instead of just doing isometric holds.)

Wrist Curls: 3x10 (105lbs, forwards and reverse)

Right now, I'm training on an older version of the Rolling Thunder Handle IM use to sell, it spins just fine and an IM loading pin. I actually had to switch out the TTK for a Pony Clamp for thumb work. Wrist work wasn't done on a roller and was also switched out for wrist curls. The reason for these two switches, I didn't have room for them in my gym bag while I went to the gym today.

It should also be noted, I'm also doing a very intense grip program at the current moment and training for the MM3 (my training for that is 3 days a week for 6-12 weeks long), so I have to be very careful of what I do so I don't have any set backs in that. Right now, it doesn't seem to be messing with what I did yesterday with my grip work.

I'm just going to see what I can manage between the two programs I'm on and enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

Guest Squat More

Good stuff John, find what works best for you, the TTK and wrist roller were just suggestions based on the equipment I have. Also the rolling and TTK work were based off things I used during my previous rolling thunder training cycles that lasted from 7-8 weeks in the past.

This program of sorts is still experimental, like I said so nothing is written in stone, this is why I wanted testers willing to give it a go and help me refine it. Maybe doing less volume on the assistance based stuff (TTK, wrist roller, and other wrist work 2-3 days after) with a heavier weight would be better, maybe doing less weight and even more volume would be more beneficial. At this point, I don't know - I plan to run two consecutive cycles of this program, the reason I am going easier now is I want to see how I respond to the 3x10 and 2x8 then 2x10 and 1x8 on the wrist roller, then in cycle 2, see if ramping up the weight on those movements would be better or worse.

I just want to thank you for helping me with this, as well as all the other guys who are giving it a go. As cheesy as it sounds, it means a lot to me for guys to try this out for the 10 weeks it takes.

• Like 2

Good stuff John, find what works best for you, the TTK and wrist roller were just suggestions based on the equipment I have. Also the rolling and TTK work were based off things I used during my previous rolling thunder training cycles that lasted from 7-8 weeks in the past.

This program of sorts is still experimental, like I said so nothing is written in stone, this is why I wanted testers willing to give it a go and help me refine it. Maybe doing less volume on the assistance based stuff (TTK, wrist roller, and other wrist work 2-3 days after) with a heavier weight would be better, maybe doing less weight and even more volume would be more beneficial. At this point, I don't know - I plan to run two consecutive cycles of this program, the reason I am going easier now is I want to see how I respond to the 3x10 and 2x8 then 2x10 and 1x8 on the wrist roller, then in cycle 2, see if ramping up the weight on those movements would be better or worse.

I just want to thank you for helping me with this, as well as all the other guys who are giving it a go. As cheesy as it sounds, it means a lot to me for guys to try this out for the 10 weeks it takes.

No problem and I'm glad I can help out.

Week 1 Day 1

RT 130x12 both hands

Standing barbell wrist curls 135x12x5

Pony clamp pinches 3 sets of 20 reps adding a rubber band each set

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Strong stuff Wayne!!!!

I am having problems with my upper back, long story short I have to see a Chiropractor on Tuesday and won't be doing any kind of training for the next 6-10 days. Can't even stand up straight or wipe my own "posterior chain" at the moment, it is that bad. Thinking that neglecting to do my post bench and overhead press day stretching, mobility work and foam rolling on Tuesday caused my upper back to get very tight and pull something out of alignment somehow when I was, of all things... reaching for the Hot sauce for my Thursday morning eggs. All I know is something is out of whack and I think pressing against a nerve, when I move the wrong way I get intense pain and nearly black out from it. I can't get to a chiro until Tuesday, which sucks - have to get a cousin to drive me 5 hours to The Pas to see a chiro since the one in Thompson I usually see is on vacation until the 19th. I don't think I could live with this pain for 10 days, so the long drive will have to be done.

On the bright side, I haven't had a full deload week from regular training for the last 3-4 months, maybe longer and I can still do some TTK work without aggravating anything. In crappy times, it is always best to look at the positive, otherwise those times will only get worse.

Sucks to hear that, dude. Hope you heal up quick. I know all about back pain. It blows!

Ok didn't wanna make excuses or anything but last week was horrible. Not just for grip but my whole body was just weak that day. I'm doing a pretty big weight cut right now. Doing a lot more volume work and low carbs so that's probably why. Anyway, today was better

RT 135x17 right and 20 reps left

I think maybe when I did a quick test to see where I was at with a single I may have been off that day as well. I'm open to advice. Do you think I should bump my numbers up? For example next week jump to 145 instead of 140? Or do you think it's ok to be hitting 20 reps in week 2?

Standing barbell wrist curls 135x12x3

Landmine wrist curls?? lol don't know what to call these. barbell on the floor. One end in the corner, the other end loaded like for rows or landmine press. Did 3 sets of 12 reps each hand of these with just a 45 on the bar. hand on the very end of the collar and elbow supported on my leg. I hope I explained that good. I've seen some arm wrestlers doing them is why I tried them.

A few 20 rep sets with pony clamp

Guest Squat More

I'd keep the weight progression the same Wayne, I had days like that in the past, even in the program I say one week may not be as good, then the next you get more reps with a heavier weight. I remember once just barely getting 150# for 10 reps right handed, the next week I got 155 for 17 right handed. Keep the 5# linear progression the same, and keep getting the reps in the first few weeks until it calls for only 10. You'll be adding 30# to your high rep set regardless, this will make you stronger. Also take into account that after the first cycle it finished, you don't HAVE to test a max, you can take two weeks off, dump 10-15# from your last high rep set in week 7 (which should be 160#) and start over with 150 or 145, and continue another cycle, if you want. Starting with 150# in a second cycle will take you to 180# for a 10 rep set, now if you're pulling 180 for ten, how do you think after some rest your 1rm will turn out? Even on a bad day, I am willing to bet 205# isn't going to be much trouble.

My point with this type of training and the program I wrote up is this, and I just finished saying this to John Manna over facebook;

People approach RT like a powerlifter would squats and deadlifts, using triples and doubles and singles - and far too often. This is a MAJOR flaw because those are large muscle groups (utilized in Squats and deads), the grip is small and relies on as much tendon strength as it does muscle and could you imagine trying to max out on squats or deadlifts every week or other week? You'd wear yourself out, not to mention risking injury and that grip strength is very much CNS related and utilizes smaller muscle groups that require more volume, as do tendons for strength. I like to believe that everyone knows this simple truth, except they seem to forget it when it comes to something like the rolling thunder.
You're doing fine man, but if you really feel you need to bump the weight up then be my guest, this program is experimental, if you feel you're not getting enough from the weight you're lifting now, bump it up. Just remember, in the later weeks, static holds with more weight than your working sets are required and everyone who has used the RT knows that 5lbs can be the difference between a good lift, and not budging the thing off the ground.
  • Like 1

I'm trying this program as well. I'md adding in so many other things I wasn't sure if I should include my info here or not. don't want to make it look like the program doesn't work because I'm chasing too many other things at once.

8/13/2013 Week 2)

Rolling Thunder: (Warm Up) 97lbs x 2...117lbs x 15

Pony Clamp: 3x10

Wrist Curl: 3x10 (120lbs, Forwards and Reverse)

I actually gotten 2lbs more than what I was planning to do.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

I got my back all cracked up at the chiro yesterday, will begin regular training and grip related stuff Monday. According to the doctor I essentially had two vertebrae out of whack and ribs on my left side were also affected. After dealing with that for five days and not being able to do much but lay around and go for the occasional short stroll she said it would be best to give myself some time to loosen up my back and do some mobility work, hence taking more time off until Monday. Squats, RT and grippers for the first time in a while scheduled for Monday.

Honored to know you're giving it a go Brent, can I be nosey and ask what your starting number is? :D

my pr on both hands is 180. might be 185 right. I've had those numbers for years now. so, I started with 110# for my rep sets. part of the reason I'm doing this is to try and get some growth on my rt and axle numbers. they have both been stagnet for a very long time. I think my axle has gone up 5# in 3 years. not good.

8/14/13

grippers L 138 7x3

R 146 7x3. after the 3rd set a lot of the 3rd reps were questionable on my right hand.

rt 2x2 90# 115# 15/19

wd orange spring x10 both ways lev 1,3,4,4

climber curl 35# 5x15

climber curl ext 10# 3x12

on the rt I did 2 resets per hand. I don't think a third would have gotten me any more reps. this was the day after I did a bunch of axle volume in the gym.

Guest Squat More

Got some training in today, back isn't 100%, more like 65% but that is enough to do some squats and RT work. Squats were light, last set was 285# x 7 and I wore a belt, so just enough to get somewhat fired up.

Rolling thunder with FBBC loading pin, left hand
100# 1x3
120# 1x2
145# 1x11

TTK, both hands
10# 3x10

Wrist roller
50# 2x8

• Like 2

Yesterday was a very off day for me personally. Nothing went sour physically and was able to lift, but mentally, I was off big time and wasn't with it, just grabbed the plates without thinking how much I was loading up to lift and did 25lbs more than what I was meant to do. Only noticed this when I actually started counting the weight. Again, just had a really off day mentally yesterday.

8/20/2013 Week 3)

Rolling Thunder: 1x12 - 142lbs

Pony Clamp: 3x10

Wrist Curl: 2x10 - 127lbs

• Like 1

140x12 right x13 left

Did that on 8/19 just havn't had a chance to post. As for thumb and forearm work I swung a frigin ax all day. Didn't even wanna look at the RT after work so I was pretty happy to get more than 10 reps but didn't bother with any secondary exercises.

145x14 right x16 left

135x15x5 barbell wrist curls

pony clamp

looking forward to week 5 when we get to start doing 2 work sets! lol

Guest Squat More

It's actually one work set, followed by an isometric hold of a weight 5-10lbs heavier than that days working weight for 3-5 seconds. This is where you squeeze as hard as possible at lockout.

It's actually one work set, followed by an isometric hold of a weight 5-10lbs heavier than that days working weight for 3-5 seconds. This is where you squeeze as hard as possible at lockout.

Are you saying no rest in between the sets? 10 rep set then add 5 lbs and go straight into the static hold?

8/21/13

RT 90 2x2 120 17/22. grippers were crap so I dropped them and went to RT. reps still feel good even as the weight is going up.

8/28/13

RT 90 2x2 125 17/19 week 4 and reps are still pretty high. did axle last night and still got good reps. they are starting to feel heavy though.

Guest Squat More

Are you saying no rest in between the sets? 10 rep set then add 5 lbs and go straight into the static hold?

Nah you give yourself a bit of time after the 10 rep set to recover, this could be two minutes or ten, it all depends on you. Once you feel recovered you add the weight, either five or ten pounds and do an isometric hold with it, you can use your other hand to help you pull it to lockout before letting go and holding for three to five seconds.

Nah you give yourself a bit of time after the 10 rep set to recover, this could be two minutes or ten, it all depends on you. Once you feel recovered you add the weight, either five or ten pounds and do an isometric hold with it, you can use your other hand to help you pull it to lockout before letting go and holding for three to five seconds.

should it be around 100% effort to hold for the 3-5 sec?

Letting everyone know, I came down sick and had to put all training to the side, should be fine now, will update later tonight or tomorrow.