Good Weight In Barbell Reverse Curl ?

Six Barrel Shotgun

I'm not sure how many people do it as a sort of max effort lift. It would have a higher than average injury potential I think. It's usually done for repetitions as a balancing movement and forearm developer. Others may have better info for you.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.

I see. To rephrase myself. Whats a good weight for high reps then? I like to have goals for the exercises I do. But for this exercise i really don't know what to aim at.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

A good exercise , usually did with a thumbs on top of bar grip. Wrist needs to be locked straight or slightly curved up. A real key is to vary bar thickness and do them pretty strict. Weights won't be high but the results will be! There was a man shown in a book years ago that holding his elbows tight to his sides( held by a belt!) did a dead strict 88 on a 3" diam bar with thumbs on top grip. In my best days I worked up in training to a max of a weighed 3" thick barbell of 132 trying to do this in his manner. Points to avoid......body sway, elbows flared out to the side,thumbs under bar, and wrists drooping. Start each rep from a dead still start.When I did reverse barbell curls in this manner my grip was at its very best.

• Like 1

A good exercise , usually did with a thumbs on top of bar grip. Wrist needs to be locked straight or slightly curved up. A real key is to vary bar thickness and do them pretty strict. Weights won't be high but the results will be! There was a man shown in a book years ago that holding his elbows tight to his sides( held by a belt!) did a dead strict 88 on a 3" diam bar with thumbs on top grip. In my best days I worked up in training to a max of a weighed 3" thick barbell of 132 trying to do this in his manner. Points to avoid......body sway, elbows flared out to the side,thumbs under bar, and wrists drooping. Start each rep from a dead still start.When I did reverse barbell curls in this manner my grip was at its very best.

Never done it that way... Sounds like it's worth a try!

• Like 1

I checked the special bar I used for the 132 many years ago and it was 2.5 not 3. I wanted to get that straight. I worked to the weight in the article on a 3" bar (88)but switched afterwards to the custom 2.5 bar . I do remember dead stop, strict and thumbs on top of the bar with 132 was hard.

Much thanks for your reply Richard. Interesting with thumbs on top, gonna try that! And now I have a proper weight goal :D

The notes on the bar included more information should you want to make one . The shaft to hold the plates I used was solid steel cold rolled steel 1 -15/16" bar, a 2.5"(inside diameter) piece of schedule 40 pipe with an outside diameter of 2.875" was welded on each end to a solid 2" (I D) set collar to form a large sleeve handle. The sleeve handle was then slipped over the 1 -15/16" bar and Allen screws tightened and bar was born. Notes : the pipe was 2.5 inside hole diameter but actually was 2.85 "outside. The inside solid bar to hold standard weights must be 1 -15/16 " not 2" because plates will not fit on 2". The weight of the shortened bar I made was 45 lbs.

Thanks for the nice information, Richard. I'll remember this thread for coming times.

Guest Squat More

I am of the mind that when it comes to a new exercise or movement, or even one you are accustomed to a "good weight" in anything is more weight, sets, or reps than you did last week. Not to sound cliche or seem like I am quoting my own signature; strength isn't a sprint to the finish, it is a long drawn out marathon with a lot of stops along the way, waves, ups and downs. It took me a while to realize this but when I did, training in every aspect got better. Just work on doing more in week X than you did in week Y and you will be getting stronger.

It is always best to take three steps forward and one step back because in the end, you will always be further than where you were.

• Like 1

I don't understand the no thumbs under the bar thing. When I take my thumbs off I feel like it becomes a finger exercise (and mostly the flexors since they're trying to wrap around and hold on to the now open bar) since I've removed one of the supports from the bar when this is supposed to be a forearm extensor and brachialis exercise. Same goes for reverse wrist curls. Seems like the more fingers you keep under the bar the move you can focus on the bigger muscles higher up. Can someone explain this?

Edited by truth1ness

There are places and times to consider each style. The use of the thumb under the bar greatly adds to the weight that can be supported and lifted. With the thumb under it is like a supporting hook or crutch to steady and support the load changing the mechanics quite a bit.Thumbs on top lowers the weight able to be used,reduces twisting torque on the forearm as with thumb locked under and heightens the intensity involvement of hands ,wrist , forearm , and bicep involvement. The thumbless grip also forces you in a way to keep the exercise from becoming a cheating semi clean movement. Thumbs on top will build you up in a more "other grip event helping" specific manner I would think.

I do this excersize in the gym with an ez curl and straight bars. Both with thumbless grip.

Edited by king crusher

This is something I will definitely have to try.

Thanks for sharing.

It's not an either / or kind of thing - do thumbs around one time and thumbs on top the next.

Nice David