Cleaning The New Model Rolling Thunder

Guest Squat More

Guest Squat More

So I have a predicament of sorts, nothing serious but wanted to get some info by running this by the IM section of the forum.

I have a 19 year old cousin who trains with me in my home gym (squats, deads, bench, OHP etc) and long story short over the last few months he has showed an interest in grip training, especially thickbar and pinch work. He enjoys training with the Rolling Thunder especially, and plans to eventually buy his own but in the meantime he uses mine.

Now my issue is this, he likes to use Chalk in his training, I prefer a non chalked hand for rolling thunder training. The more recent rolling thunder model holds chalk very well, my concern is the chalk on the revolving part of the hand and getting between the revolving part of the handle. I can use an air compressor to "blow out" the chalk if it gets between the revolving bit and the bar that goes through it if there is any issue with the spin. What I wanted to know was the best way to clean the handle itself. I got used to not having any chalk on my handle in training and have noticed a difference between a chalked handle and a non chalked handle personally, should I just use some warm water and a clean facecloth or rubbing alcohol to clean the surface? As of now I have only used a dry rag to clean the handle of chalk, not sure if water or alcohol would affect the black revolving surface of the handle?

Does Mr Strossen or anyone else have a suggestion on the best way to clean the handle for my training until my cousin puts up the money for his own?

I use multipurpose cleaner for heavy stuff, and warm water for just wiping chalk off.

Wipe the moisture off with a clean rag, and you're set.

Just a guess, but it seems like heavy rubbing alcohol (the 90% stuff) would probably do the trick. That can cut through the toughest crud.

Windex

Not sure if serious...

I am serious. Clean it with Windex and it will leave it with a very slightly tacky feel.

So I have a predicament of sorts, nothing serious but wanted to get some info by running this by the IM section of the forum.

I have a 19 year old cousin who trains with me in my home gym (squats, deads, bench, OHP etc) and long story short over the last few months he has showed an interest in grip training, especially thickbar and pinch work. He enjoys training with the Rolling Thunder especially, and plans to eventually buy his own but in the meantime he uses mine.

Now my issue is this, he likes to use Chalk in his training, I prefer a non chalked hand for rolling thunder training. The more recent rolling thunder model holds chalk very well, my concern is the chalk on the revolving part of the hand and getting between the revolving part of the handle. I can use an air compressor to "blow out" the chalk if it gets between the revolving bit and the bar that goes through it if there is any issue with the spin. What I wanted to know was the best way to clean the handle itself. I got used to not having any chalk on my handle in training and have noticed a difference between a chalked handle and a non chalked handle personally, should I just use some warm water and a clean facecloth or rubbing alcohol to clean the surface? As of now I have only used a dry rag to clean the handle of chalk, not sure if water or alcohol would affect the black revolving surface of the handle?

Does Mr Strossen or anyone else have a suggestion on the best way to clean the handle for my training until my cousin puts up the money for his own?

I use multipurpose cleaner for heavy stuff, and warm water for just wiping chalk off.

Just a guess, but it seems like heavy rubbing alcohol (the 90% stuff) would probably do the trick. That can cut through the toughest crud.

Thanks much for asking about this and I'd say probably the best is rubbing alcohol—warm soapy water would be ok, but you'd have to be more careful with it than alcohol (any excess will evaporate, it won't leave a film, etc.). You definitely do not want to use anything like acetone or a wire brush as you want to keep the original surface intact.

Not sure if anyone here was around then, but about 12 years ago, in a major Rolling Thunder contest, we had a competitor pull out a jar of paint thinner to clean the handle and it was changing the surface of it before our eyes—not a good thing.

Thanks much for asking about this and I'd say probably the best is rubbing alcoholwarm soapy water would be ok, but you'd have to be more careful with it than alcohol (any excess will evaporate, it won't leave a film, etc.). You definitely do not want to use anything like acetone or a wire brush as you want to keep the original surface intact.

Not sure if anyone here was around then, but about 12 years ago, in a major Rolling Thunder contest, we had a competitor pull out a jar of paint thinner to clean the handle and it was changing the surface of it before our eyesnot a good thing.

Interesting.... Did it give him a corrosive advantage?

Thanks much for asking about this and I'd say probably the best is rubbing alcoholwarm soapy water would be ok, but you'd have to be more careful with it than alcohol (any excess will evaporate, it won't leave a film, etc.). You definitely do not want to use anything like acetone or a wire brush as you want to keep the original surface intact.

Not sure if anyone here was around then, but about 12 years ago, in a major Rolling Thunder contest, we had a competitor pull out a jar of paint thinner to clean the handle and it was changing the surface of it before our eyesnot a good thing.

Interesting.... Did it give him a corrosive advantage?

Corrosive advantage—I like that and would say that any gain he hoped for evaporated on the spot. :D

This must have been in 2000 or earlier, because I don't think you could get a solvent on a plane post-2001, but we saw what was happening and stopped the special cleaning immediately. If there had been an advantage, he would not have been the only one to benefit because a lot of lifters were following him.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'd say this "if you want to use chalk on my handle and if it affects the spin you buy me a new handle and you can keep my old one, okej? Otherwise dont use chalk :D"

I've cleaned my handle with a slightly wet rug and it didnt affect my handle. Never tried alcohol tho.