Wrist Curls

Roark

Some matters in my personal life have thwarted any

determined interest in my wrist curl progress for the past few weeks but I have resumed, and have been performing them this way:

You know the upright back pad that goes with the Nautilus leg extension machine? I take it and place it perpendicular to a flat bench. My knees brace the pad,

and with the barbell on the other side of the pad, I stick my hands between the pad and the bar, grasp the bar,

sit down so that my wrists are about 2" off the bench (now on the pad) and perform wrist curls.

This isolates the forearms, but allows the forearms to be wider than if I used the end of the bench.

Also cheating is bypassed because I cannot use my calves to nudge the start- as I could if my wrists were over my knees.

This morning:

empty bar x 10

65 x 10

95 x 10

115 x 10

140 x 10

160 x 6

180 x 5

Then some dumbell wrist curls, 50s, 60s, 70s.

I hope to be back up to speed in a month or so.

I have just started doing wrist curls as they are included in the online competition. I do them seated off the end of a bench. but not resting on my knees. I place a board across the bench to give me more width and curl off of that. It is only a little painful.

I prefer my method because when I go to failure I simply allow the bar to rest on the bench.

When I used the end of the bench method, then the standing and placing the bell back on the floor was

distracting. But whichever you prefer.

Have you tried thick bar wrist curls?

I am seated inside the power rack with the safety rails set just below the lower range of the wrist curl. Haven't tried thickbar wrist curls as I now have a complex about my large hands! I do use a gadget called a forearm flexor, which may seem like just another piece of junk, but I think it is great. There is a great deal of flexion going on in wrist rolling too.

I've been using the end of a standard bench press seat, which forces me to use a narrow grip. I'll have to try using a board across the seat, and see if the wider grip doesn't allow heavier poundages. I can use all the help I can get. Let's remember though, if we opt for this method as we compete in the competition, we must use a board that's deep enough to allow our entire forearm to sit on it, ensuring our forearms remain parallel to the floor. Are you ready Roark? Your poundages tell me you are ;)

The board does allow a wider grip. What I was looking for was avoiding sinking in to the padding of the bench. Also the end of the bench is round rather than square.

Ah yes, OldGuy, power rack with pin holes all the way down- great! The gym here has one of those which are not drilled lower than the bench, so that thwarts me- but I

used to use that set-up at another gym.

A complex about big hands? Don't you have that backwards :blush

Eric,

Yes, the pad must be the width of the forearms length to prevent 'rocking' the bell.

My poundages are nothing to get excited about- there are many here who would surpass me if they trained at wrist curls as intently as I do. But this never seems to be a continued topic here- most are concerned with finger

strength.

• 1 month later...

Murder getting old- takes longer to warmup than to workout.

Anyway after another injured wrist, yesterday 135 for three sets of ten reps in the over the knees wrist curl.

No pain today, so the creep upward begins again.

Heels remain on the floor, hands spread probably about

20"- with elbows about 12" apart- that angle is less

strainful on my wrist.

Pad under butt while straddling the bench.

Roark,

Have you tried any heat rubs applied before you workout? Might help? I found it helps with my heavy gripping days.

Jon@han

Roark,

You should be back up to speed in no time. Muscle "memory" is in your favor; weight poundages up to you.

After warmups with empty bar, 65, 95, and 115 lbs- each in sets of 10, then:

135 x 10

145 x 10

165 x 3

165 x 3

150 x 10

Still playing it safe.

I'll keep bumping it up and soon should be back to

my regular workout.

50 x 10

70 x 10

100 x 10