Race To Mm0

Mike Sharkey

Lots of new and veteran gripsters in the race. Now we just need to come up with a prize for whoever MM0's before New Years!!!!

This has been more like a marathon than a sprint.

Its slow going. As I have transitioned into other interests, this still remains a useful goal of mine. Best close is 130. Only once though.

This has been more like a marathon than a sprint.

Its slow going. As I have transitioned into other interests, this still remains a useful goal of mine. Best close is 130. Only once though.

I look forward to seeing your progress on grippers....I'm new here but judging by your accomplishments your certainly strong.

As a piece of advice, start practicing taking video now. I have been able to close my goal gripper on several occasions but can not get decent video of it. Best of luck.

• Like 2

Made two attempts at videoing PR attempts.

Now I know why my kids laugh so hard when they do grippers with me.

Found a great video from a grip God just googling grip close video. Lots of good tips, I'll see if I can link to it.

One hour this morning practicing my set with my kids. I'm realizing my set is lousy!!! Watched five killer videos explaining set.

My sets are deeper and definitely to parallel.

Question- for certs, is it ok to set closer to parallel as long as you open to parallel before you close. I feel I see this in videos, but don't want to develop bad habits. I feel an amazing difference in torque if I set narrow, open to parallel, and close. It takes all of the stretch out of the skin.

Not happening any time soon for me, 300 axle will happen before, but I have so many grippers now I have no choice but be in the challenge some time in 2015.

One hour this morning practicing my set with my kids. I'm realizing my set is lousy!!! Watched five killer videos explaining set.

My sets are deeper and definitely to parallel.

Question- for certs, is it ok to set closer to parallel as long as you open to parallel before you close. I feel I see this in videos, but don't want to develop bad habits. I feel an amazing difference in torque if I set narrow, open to parallel, and close. It takes all of the stretch out of the skin.

I'm pretty sure it's ok to set it to deep as long as you open it back up to parallel before the close.

BTW Sharkey, you better get on that MM0 man! I know it's gonna happen!

• Like 1

It's nice to see so many people vying for the MM0, really motivating. Today I closed my GM rated at 141. I closed it with both hands, I did get a video that I'm going to try and post in my workout log; however the video is pretty bad. Next time I do grippers I'm going to have my wife run the camera.

Chops how did your video attempts of your PR go?

141 both hands!!! Nice work.

My video, oh boy. Bad. Hands not in the frame. Didn't capture close, silly faces. It was bad. Glad I was practicing. I did close it though. Off hand is probably 10 pounds behind.

David, I've mostly abandoned weightlifting in the form I was doing it. In fact, my axle and oly bar where just removed from my apartment. As I turn 40 I am really forced to ask myself what is important to me and what will make my life better. Another plate on my DL just really wasn't doing it for me anymore. That being said, closing the 3 is still a very useful goal for me in my current endeavours.

• Like 2

Glad to see this thread alive again.

My plan is to work grippers 2-3 times a week, and drag 50# steel blocks around until I can make them fly!

I have not been able to consistently do negatives, I end up with a bruise or tear my hand. I think I'll try to put them back in the mix and just keep it to a lower gripper. Still have a gap in grippers from 130# to 150#. May pick up a GM to try and fill the gap, even if it is an extended handle.

Anybody want to elaborate how they plan to make 2015 the year of the Mashmonsters.

Todd-

Here's a method I found that works without having to invest in an extended handle gripper. You can go to your local hardware store, find a pipe that can slide over one of the handles, which makes cheating a gripper down way more effective with the use of heavy negatives. I would suggest tapping one handle, as the metal inside the pipe could grind the knurling off. Electrical tape helps to stop it. I would say that tapping the handle while doing negatives or overcrushes will help prevent tearing of the hands.

• Like 1

Thanks John. I used those same ideas to crawl through KTA. My tears were at large calluses. Just my hands getting used to a new position of wear.

John. I am thrilled to see you reading this. Are you still a fan of heavy negatives, and how far above my max should I go. In kta I used the three. It was so far out of reach, but here I am a month later thinking I'll close that within the month...?

Thanks John. I used those same ideas to crawl through KTA. My tears were at large calluses. Just my hands getting used to a new position of wear.

John. I am thrilled to see you reading this. Are you still a fan of heavy negatives, and how far above my max should I go. In kta I used the three. It was so far out of reach, but here I am a month later thinking I'll close that within the month...?

Right now all gripper work has been put to the side in order to give full attention to the King Kong contest coming up in a few weeks.

I'm a big supporter of Negatives still, I will never get away from the use of them, they were one of the main factors of why I was able to certify on the MM3. But I had other concepts used, which I formed together to create an experimental program.

On negatives, since you're at about 130 lbs on the ratings, attempt a gripper that's in the 165-170 lb range, doesn't matter what the rating will come out to as long as it's within that said range you should be good. If you use it with a pipe, cheating it down makes it where you can focus on the resistance more of the gripper.

For myself, I looked at the heaviest possible gripper I could attempt (my 208 lb rated #4, or, an unrated GHP 9 that is filed). I would attempt that until I could get it close to or at a closed position cheated shut.

• Like 1

With a special cameo from my brother, here is a close from last night.

MM0 attempt:

Thanks for watching.

With a special cameo from my brother, here is a close from last night.

MM0 attempt:

Thanks for watching.

Awesome close....looked like it was from a pretty wide set too

Good Work. MM0 soon then?

David, I've mostly abandoned weightlifting in the form I was doing it. In fact, my axle and oly bar where just removed from my apartment. As I turn 40 I am really forced to ask myself what is important to me and what will make my life better. Another plate on my DL just really wasn't doing it for me anymore. That being said, closing the 3 is still a very useful goal for me in my current endeavours.

That's cool. I'm pretty much doing the same thing right now. I'm combining running, bodyweight training, grip, and bending together right now. It might not be the optimal routine for developing grip strength, but I'm convinced you can still make very good gains without heavy squats and deadlifts.

• Like 1

That's cool. I'm pretty much doing the same thing right now. I'm combining running, bodyweight training, grip, and bending together right now. It might not be the optimal routine for developing grip strength, but I'm convinced you can still make very good gains without heavy squats and deadlifts.

Anyone that says there's 'one way' or you have to do 'this' doesn't know sheeeeeeeet. Myself, I'm studying JuJitsu. The grip work I do will be related to grappling and contraspecific for the stress on the body in the martial arts.

• Like 1

I'm convinced you can still make very good gains without heavy squats and deadlifts.

Not to interrupt you and Sharkey but I agree completely.

I haven't squatted or deadlifted more than 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years (or done much of any conventional weight training for that matter) but my grip has continued to improve steadily but surely.

• Like 2

My latest attempt, I will get someone to film it for me next attempt to get the set in the video better

Hope everyone is getting strong gains with their gripping!

• Like 2

My latest attempt, I will get someone to film it for me next attempt to get the set in the video better

Hope everyone is getting strong gains with their gripping!

YEAH!! Nice work!