Gripper Strength Shot Up From Doing Plate Curls.

Jones1874

I think to paraphrase what Ben's saying (if I'm correct) is that getting to a 2.5ish level is relatively easy level of handstrength to hit and can be hit from just about any means but to progress beyond that level will take specific gripper training. Beyond the 2.5 unless you're a savant is where the skill level really ramps up.

• Like 2

I think to paraphrase what Ben's saying (if I'm correct) is that getting to a 2.5ish level is relatively easy level of handstrength to hit and can be hit from just about any means but to progress beyond that level will take specific gripper training. Beyond the 2.5 unless you're a savant is where the skill level really ramps up.

im glad you clarified that aswell. not sure i fully understood either from the way it was written.

I think he meant, that at Alex's level you get good carry-over... And when you get to the 2.5 level and beyond, carry-over gets slow.

I agree... At the 3 or higher - I struggle unless I'm working those block sets almost daily... Gripper strength is the most perishable

Alex, I don't doubt you've had good carryover. I do think that the higher your base level of gripper strength goes over time, the less carryover you will have to the grippers. I think that level starts around #2.5.

can you elaborate your thought on this? not sure i am following.

What are you not following? It's only my opinion. Based on a decade of my own grip training and helping others with their grip training. But still just my opinion. If it goes against what you believe, just discard it.

not sure if your opinion has been attacked on here in the past but that is not what i was doing. i sincerely did not understand what you wrote and i sincerely was hoping you could clarify. as i re-read my post i wonder why it prompted your response. there was nothing inflammatory about it.

not sure if your opinion has been attacked on here in the past but that is not what i was doing. i sincerely did not understand what you wrote and i sincerely was hoping you could clarify. as i re-read my post i wonder why it prompted your response. there was nothing inflammatory about it.

I don't think you or anyone else were "attacking" my opinion. And I don't care if you did. Everyone has the right on a forum to give their advice. Simple concept that we are all familiar with.

However, not all advice is created equal. This is something that becomes painfully clear when you spend an appreciable amount of time on any forum.

If I was a forum member with no credentials (COC, etc.) and a thousand posts that are always newbie repetitive questions, my advice should count for exactly what it is worth - absolutely nothing. Someone who always asks questions of others should eventually get to the point where they find their own way...and then start giving helpful advice to others that are on the same path they went down years before. I mention credentials because, like it or not, they are an indicator that someone has likely listened, taken heed of, and acted on helpful advice given to them by someone with more knowledge.

So when a forum member of over a decade with some decent credentials (grip and bending) gives me or someone else advice - it rates a LOT higher on my "pay attention to this" list. Especially when I was just getting into grip. These experienced forum members had already worked their way to where I wanted to be.

• Like 4

im glad you clarified that aswell. not sure i fully understood either from the way it was written.

I'm glad he clarified that for you. Even though short of drawing you a flowchart it should've been pretty easy to grasp the meaning.

I don't think you or anyone else were "attacking" my opinion. And I don't care if you did. Everyone has the right on a forum to give their advice. Simple concept that we are all familiar with.

However, not all advice is created equal. This is something that becomes painfully clear when you spend an appreciable amount of time on any forum.

If I was a forum member with no credentials (COC, etc.) and a thousand posts that are always newbie repetitive questions, my advice should count for exactly what it is worth - absolutely nothing. Someone who always asks questions of others should eventually get to the point where they find their own way...and then start giving helpful advice to others that are on the same path they went down years before. I mention credentials because, like it or not, they are an indicator that someone has likely listened, taken heed of, and acted on helpful advice given to them by someone with more knowledge.

So when a forum member of over a decade with some decent credentials (grip and bending) gives me or someone else advice - it rates a LOT higher on my "pay attention to this" list. Especially when I was just getting into grip. These experienced forum members had already worked their way to where I wanted to be.

"i sincerely did not understand what you wrote and i sincerely was hoping you could clarify." even after typing that long response, you still have not clarified what you were saying.

Edited by bubba29
  • Like 1

I'm glad he clarified that for you. Even though short of drawing you a flowchart it should've been pretty easy to grasp the meaning.

i admittedly am not a rocket scientist. problem is, another grip newbie also did not understand what you wrote. not even a vet like shoggoth was certain about what you said. the newbies are on here to learn. you seem to be on here to pass on your years of vast knowledge. if you are sincere about that, either try to communicate in a way that newbies can comprehend or be patient with their probing for more of your knowledge.

btw, i never questioned your credibility. not sure why you thought i didn't take your advice seriously. i took it so seriously that i asked you to clarify something that was confusing to me rather than just dismiss it as something i didn't understand.

Edited by bubba29

Well, this post turns out to be a great post in essention. Bottomline are some very good points, which I also have just learned after almost four years of fiddling around, overtraining and starting with almost no experience in weightlifting and grip, apart from the occasional bicep and pec excersices in the fitness now and then.

What Andrew said, is I think a very appreciable advice, building gripstrength up in general with not neglecting extensors, wrists and such, and only then concentrate periodically on what you want to excel at;

I am currently around CCS-ing lower to medium rated level #3 grippers and from that level what Ben and Jason already said, it takes specific practice to improve gripperstrength. Don't be afraid to practise with different training methods, I threw everything in but the kitchensink and learned that for me, less is more. But that's just my hands. So many strong guys around here which are willing to help in any way with advice, and also enough guys around here to keep you humble and see that there is always room for growth and improvement.

About my credentials, as from soon I am focused on going to refresh those haha (evil laugh)

It was very easy to grasp the meaning Ben.

• Like 1