Coc's Vs Adjustable Grippers

strongkeith

g'day guys, i was about to slap out a for 4 grippers being a trainer 1 2 and 2.5 but quickly stopped just to make sure i was gonna buy the right stuff, i seen the Robert Baraban Adjustable Hand Gripper which for me works out to be the same price as the 4 grippers, if my goal is to not certify on grippers but just build a monster strong crushing strength and grip would i be better off to go with the cOc's or an adjustable???? also if i was to go for the cOc's should i got for a trainer 1, 2 and 3 or 2 and 2.5? cheers as for my training i lift alot so thats why i was going to get higher grippers as i feel i will progress fairly quick

I'm probably the only guy on this forum who will give this advice. Buy an Ivanko Super Gripper (Baraban copied it which I think is wrong) if your goal is simply to develop your hand strength. But if you have any interest in saying "I can close a x,y.z gripper" then you should buy the Torsion spring grippers of your choice. TSGs are as much a skill as a strength test in my mind.

• Like 1

does the ISG carry over? I know that I tried to use just vulcan and it really killed my normal gripper strength.

I have not seen carry over with the ISG but like Chris said unless you are looking to cert or close the highest grippers it is a great tool and it makes a lot of sense. I agree with Chris, if you are looking to simply gain strength while using a gripper the ISG/Vise gripper is the way to go.

It depends. For instance if you want to know if you can close a #2, #2.5, or/and #3 then get those. For you never really know unless you are working with the product. Plus you can use harder variations with your training. For instance if a #2 is your goal and where you are at, then train with the #2.5 plus other gripping exercises. Just my 2-cents.

The adjustable looks cool, but IMHO I passed. I also owned the Ivanko and hated it. If I were to go back to a gripping tool, I prefer guillotine devices over any other gripping tool. However, I would like to have the Vulcan Gripper. So I am kind of hypocritical too.

But when it comes to grip training, my two favorite tool is towel and rope for pull-ups as well as other pulling tools and Fat Gripz! I just ordered the orange pair and keeping my blue ones on my home-made ab-rollers.

Hmm man to many good points I think to myself what I want and although hand crushing strength is the ultimate goal the rights to say I closed said gripper number carries a nice calling with it so I think cOc's are the choice as for which grippers is a trainer #1 #2 and a #2.5 the way to go or should I get a trainer 1,2 and 3? Thanks all for your comments like anything I will likely end up with both anyway btw can you get certified for cOc's in Australia or is that for the states only?

Also in regards to the fat grips I got a pair on its way bought ages ago still waiting plan to use these to train with on deadlifts for future strongman events as my gym didn't have thick bars

Edited by strongkeith

I wouldn't bother with the trainer. Things like just doing pull-ups using a towel to hang from will get you pass the Trainer in no time. If you have trouble with the #1 then it goes w/out saying to at least get that one.

I would suggest the T,0.5,1,1.5 and the 2 for your goal gripper, Thats just a ideal though.

You need a lighter gripper for warm ups and recovery i use the 0.5 for that.

I started a thread to get peoples thoughts on warmups which I personally stopped doing years ago for all my workouts (grip and non-grip related). For a universal argument, do those that do mason such as carry flagstone do warmups before they carry stone back and forth? That alone will give you one hell of a grip.

I started a thread to get peoples thoughts on warmups which I personally stopped doing years ago for all my workouts (grip and non-grip related). For a universal argument, do those that do mason such as carry flagstone do warmups before they carry stone back and forth? That alone will give you one hell of a grip.

The stones they carry back and forth will be no way near a 1RM or they would only be lifting it once! Brickies and masons will usually have a very good hand strength but there daily work routine would be more like low weight high rep endurance conditioning!

I wasn't aware that Baraban copied the ISG too! I know he ripped off David's Vulcan! Which is a very worthwhile tool.

The stones they carry back and forth will be no way near a 1RM or they would only be lifting it once! Brickies and masons will usually have a very good hand strength but there daily work routine would be more like low weight high rep endurance conditioning!

I wasn't aware that Baraban copied the ISG too! I know he ripped off David's Vulcan! Which is a very worthwhile tool.

I think you are correct - it was the Vulcan. I still say the ISG is just as good for general hand strength development. - but "everyone" who asks this question really wants to know what TSG they can close so they have already answered their own question it seems. I never recommend TSGs for my climbing friends - always an ISG or a machine.

Edited by climber511

I would also work the exstensor muscles with a strong rubberband, Ironmind also makes some.

I'm probably the only guy on this forum who will give this advice. Buy an Ivanko Super Gripper (Baraban copied it which I think is wrong) if your goal is simply to develop your hand strength. But if you have any interest in saying "I can close a x,y.z gripper" then you should buy the Torsion spring grippers of your choice. TSGs are as much a skill as a strength test in my mind.

I agree with this

I worked a few years ago with TSG for fun and stopped until late last year when I got a vulcan and only worked with that primarily and it did have carry over for me to TSG. I got up to a level 21 on the vulcan-guess would be rated at around 170 at final close and mid 180 during the start- but at the time I could not close a 3.5 gripper until I worked with TSG more-I knew I had the strength but the TSG felt much different in the hand-. So if your goal is to close TSG and cert on those I think its best to work with those but if you just want to develop crush grip an adjustable is a smart buy.

Once I get some more money and start training crush again I want to invest in the GHP grippers.

After all has been said and done I have ended up going for an adjustable set just for the fact its more versatile to my needs but in saying that next month I will order a set of cOc's too

• Like 1