Ironmind Gripper Evolution

Brett H

On 6/19/2013 at 6:01 PM, Brett H said:

Mighty Joe has asked me to re-post the Ironmind Gripper timeline which had been previously posted on another thread. This is the final revision of the timeline and should be an accurate depiction of the evolution of Ironmind grippers. Considering the Ironmind grippers are arguably one of the most important developments in grip strength history, this would be a more appropriate place for the timeline. If any revisions need to be made please let me know.

Microsoft Word - Ironmind_timeline.pdf

Very cool and informative post.  I wasn't sure where to ask the question but has anyone seen a similar evolution timeline for GHP, Heavy Grips, Tetting, RB, etc. The Grip Museum Contributors post has some good info too.

My best take on the heavy grip changes.

• pre 2005 - black steel spring no coating, dull aluminum handle
  • 2005-2013 - black steel spring with coating, polished aluminum handle
  • 2013 - black steel spring with coating, some type of chrome aluminum handle

• Thanks 1

Would be so cool if Randall brought back a classic series from 2003

black springs, double stamp, #T, #1, #2, #3, #4

id buy some in a hurry! 12D3764B-8DD8-4E6A-A79E-2C90725641AA.thumb.png.0095c80bf20e552da0ccef8ab6c7134b.png

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

id buy some in a hurry! 12D3764B-8DD8-4E6A-A79E-2C90725641AA.thumb.png.0095c80bf20e552da0ccef8ab6c7134b.png

Like an anniversary silver crush would be epic!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:11 AM, Stich said:

\

This was even before the chrome spring and pin. They were actually welded at the spring which really caused them to snap. Because of the heat and rapid cooling. My dad Gary "the Gripper" Stich would use these ones as warm ups before his famous grip machine and they would often break on him. Being a welder himself, he suggested they do a pin to hold it in place instead of the welding.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.31f25a7984e6c9038112340b8fb8b4b4.jpg

When you write “they” are you referring to Warren Tetting or IronMind?

That makes sense about the welded springs being more brittle and snapping. I’m just curious who your father worked with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VintageWeightsPGH said:

When you write “they” are you referring to Warren Tetting or IronMind?

That makes sense about the welded springs being more brittle and snapping. I’m just curious who your father worked with. 

It was the Ironmind prototype of the COC grippers but I believe Tetting was the one making them?  It was about 1989. The gripper was iron with black paint, no knurling, and slight grind marks at the top of the handle to remove the weld marks. The #2 prototype gripper was rated by Cannon at 132

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 6:50 AM, Tommy J. said:

Six months ago, before I knew anything about the history of CoC grippers, I found a full set, Guide through #4 plus an older style IronMind rack, at a garage sale for $100 and negotiated down to just $60.  When I took a closer look the #2, #3 and #4 were Double Stamp Captain of Crush.  

What were the actual springs that were used in these earlier grippers?  Does anyone know the physics behind the newer springs?  Newer springs are less likely to break...correct?  Why is that?

1 hour ago, RITParent15 said:

What were the actual springs that were used in these earlier grippers?  Does anyone know the physics behind the newer springs?  Newer springs are less likely to break...correct?  Why is that?

It's hard to tell exactly what type of springs. You could ask them directly and see if they tell you. From our experience, there are 20+ different types of materials which are commonly used to make torsion springs, based on the application. They can be roughly divided into high-carbon steels, stainless steels, alloy steels, and copper/nickel alloys. The good modern choice for torsion spring grippers are the high-carbon steel types, the two most common being music wire or oil-tempered.

Dark springs are probably oil-tempered (Vintage IronMind, Tetting, Standard). Shiny springs are probably polished music wire (GR8 IronMind, GHP, Baraban). In both cases I say "probably" because for example you can polish the various types of oil-tempered springs to be shiny. Music wire is not manufactured in large wire sizes so some of the larger springs are more likely to be oil-tempered even if they're shiny. Another reason for the "probably" is where I started by saying there are 20+ different types of materials. That is just the common, readily available ones. It's entirely possible that IronMind's GR8 is a proprietary high-carbon alloy. But all the same, I would be shocked to find out it's not some kind of music wire or oil-tempered wire (including chrome silicone).

Newer springs are less likely to break simply because the materials and manufacturing have gotten better. High-carbon steel is very brittle by nature. Back in the day, materials handling simply left them still pretty brittle. Also it's not hard to imagine that newer/better alloy recipes have been developed. I don't want to give the impression here that I "know a lot." I've purposefully tried to learn about this and it's still pretty confusing to me. Lots of new vocabulary and materials property stuff that my College of Liberal Arts degree didn't cover. HAHAHAHA

:)   

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Cannon said:

It's hard to tell exactly what type of springs. You could ask them directly and see if they tell you. From our experience, there are 20+ different types of materials which are commonly used to make torsion springs, based on the application. They can be roughly divided into high-carbon steels, stainless steels, alloy steels, and copper/nickel alloys. The good modern choice for torsion spring grippers are the high-carbon steel types, the two most common being music wire or oil-tempered.

Dark springs are probably oil-tempered (Vintage IronMind, Tetting, Standard). Shiny springs are probably polished music wire (GR8 IronMind, GHP, Baraban). In both cases I say "probably" because for example you can polish the various types of oil-tempered springs to be shiny. Music wire is not manufactured in large wire sizes so some of the larger springs are more likely to be oil-tempered even if they're shiny. Another reason for the "probably" is where I started by saying there are 20+ different types of materials. That is just the common, readily available ones. It's entirely possible that IronMind's GR8 is a proprietary high-carbon alloy. But all the same, I would be shocked to find out it's not some kind of music wire or oil-tempered wire (including chrome silicone).

Newer springs are less likely to break simply because the materials and manufacturing have gotten better. High-carbon steel is very brittle by nature. Back in the day, materials handling simply left them still pretty brittle. Also it's not hard to imagine that newer/better alloy recipes have been developed. I don't want to give the impression here that I "know a lot." I've purposefully tried to learn about this and it's still pretty confusing to me. Lots of new vocabulary and materials property stuff that my College of Liberal Arts degree didn't cover. HAHAHAHA

:)   

Thanks for the detail!  I have a mechanical engineering degree, so strength of materials was a required course.  The factors you cited are what I was suspecting and the detail you gave is what I was hoping for.  Great explanation!!!