Wall Street Journal - Grip Article Tomorrow

Jedd Johnson

Anyone interested in competing in the 2013 West Australian Grip Cult Championship. It does include a few ceremonial acts at the alter of the Mighty Torsion Gripper but this should not detract too much from the obscure events to follow.

• Like 5

the cult comment appears a good bit on the IM board. I'm sure it's a number of things but, I think it mostly comes down to the use of jargon and accronims. while I get that those can be a problem they exist essentially everywhere that has a specific set of terms. it's a pretty weak label to make yourself seem like the supperior group.

Great article Jedd.

As for the cult comment, I have heard that used for years by some.

I look at it like this - Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.........

• Like 3

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324904004578539600394806108.html Just started reading it myself. How did you know this article was going to be there?

You are going to get nah sayers all the time; who cares. That is one person's opinion versus others. In a way I hate to say it we are sort of a cult but we are not. I would say a good example of a cult is Crossfit. To me a cult is a group that has one way of doing, seeing, and believing in things. With Crossfit they are all about endless reps and what not. We on the other hand is about strength developement and unless someone disagrees, we are all for using any tool and method no matter how obscure it is to get you there. So I think we are not really a cult, but I can see why they consider us one.

Oh well, like what's his name said, even bad publicity is good publicity. Going to see if they mention Gripboard in the article; I remember them mentioning Grip Board Forums but not sure this board in particular. Let's read and find out.

I knew it was going to be in there because the reporter told me yesterday.

I knew it was going to be in there because the reporter told me yesterday.

My man has connections. Awesome!

It's all about the money to be made in Grip Sport smile.gif

I think if you know anything about the media you should be giving Rich the benefit of the doubt for now. Hopefully when someone asks him about it he says they took his words out of context, otherwise that is pretty disappointing.

Very good article!

Shame about that one paragraph. It does feel out of place. An editor should have picked that up. Either it needed a bit more explanation or it should have been left out.

Great promotion anyway, congrats on this Jedd!

Well I was ecstatic to see the Grip Game get some well-deserved attention because I know we will grow as a strength sport with this kind of major focus in such a respected publication that is even international. The write up seemed good to me also until I read that BS from Rich Williams…Are you serious, cult really. A group of passionate strength training enthusiasts are now considered a secret society. One of the greatest facets of this community is its transparency and the vast majority of people in the grip scene are more than willing to share their training and techniques ect… Grip brought me to the board but the camaraderie is what kept me all these years.

"I'm not doing backyard grip contests. I'm not wasting my time," says 34-year-old Rich Williams, explaining his reason for skipping the Wooster event. The 6-foot-4, 410-pound former college football player has won the Mighty Mitts for three straight years. "You don't see me on the grip boards or in the grip community. I feel like it's a secret society or a cult."

I know that journalists are pressed to make a story have some type of hook for readers and they are not above putting a controversial spin on something to add to the articles draw but there seems no real gray area there in this one. I am sure this guy said more positive stuff but that negative comment speaks volumes.

Another BIG CONGRATS to Jedd and Andrew for representing our strongth sport so well, onward and upward for sure! I bet we will see at least a modest spike in membership and future gripsters in the near future after this article! :rock

As a side note if anyone is interested:

I have actually been in the Washington Post myself and many other major newspapers back many years ago while serving in the U.S. Army for my involvement in helping the Kenyan people recover from the psychological trauma they endured and had to deal with from the Nairobi, Kenya U.S. Embassy bombing in Aug of 1998. http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1998/Kenyans-Becoming-Crisis-Counselors/id-3430bf6ee65f34611b463c46d02db1d7

I think if you know anything about the media you should be giving Rich the benefit of the doubt for now. Hopefully when someone asks him about it he says they took his words out of context, otherwise that is pretty disappointing.

back in my college days, i was interviewed and quoted in some sports pages. there were times when i read something printed that never came out of my mouth. it certainly is a possibility that rich never said any of that stuff.

Any press is good press and they did mention the board. Thanks Jedd for getting that plug in there for our community here!

• Like 2

Assuming Williams' quote accurately matches his feelings (a sizeable assumption perhaps) - is his attitude really that much of a suprise to people, given his lack of participation in the "Back Yard" style meets over the years? This is old news, however unfortunate.

Another positive step for grip! Andrew and Jedd have been wonderful ambassadors for grip and this was a great showcase to what is happening through their efforts and the many out there working every day to make the grip world better. The only way to grow this sport we love is to welcome and encourage others to participate on whatever level they feel interested and comfortable. Great job guys! R.Sorin

• Like 2

Assuming Williams' quote accurately matches his feelings (a sizeable assumption perhaps) - is his attitude really that much of a suprise to people, given his lack of participation in the "Back Yard" style meets over the years? This is old news, however unfortunate.

I have no problem with not not attending smaller meets-although I would not consider nationals a small meet at all- I just thought the way he expressed those feelings came off as aggressive and dismissive.-I will give him the benefit of the doubt though since he comes across as a great guy from all other accounts of him-

Edited by Stephen Ruby

My dad just sent me an email of a scanned in copy of the WSJ article. I thought it is very cool. I just finished uploading the scanned articles to post and just noticed that it is already up here. Very very cool to see.

I liked the part where he describes Jedd as walking around the comp in slippers and snifing smelling salts. :ninja:

• Like 1

It's been a long time, but I had to pop back in and say congrats...nice article, good video online, and definitely a surprise to see n the front of the WSJ this morning!

• Like 1

Well I was ecstatic to see the Grip Game get some well-deserved attention because I know we will grow as a strength sport with this kind of major focus in such a respected publication that is even international. The write up seemed good to me also until I read that BS from Rich Williams…Are you serious, cult really. A group of passionate strength training enthusiasts are now considered a secret society. One of the greatest facets of this community is its transparency and the vast majority of people in the grip scene are more than willing to share their training and techniques ect… Grip brought me to the board but the camaraderie is what kept me all these years.

"I'm not doing backyard grip contests. I'm not wasting my time," says 34-year-old Rich Williams, explaining his reason for skipping the Wooster event. The 6-foot-4, 410-pound former college football player has won the Mighty Mitts for three straight years. "You don't see me on the grip boards or in the grip community. I feel like it's a secret society or a cult."

I know that journalists are pressed to make a story have some type of hook for readers and they are not above putting a controversial spin on something to add to the articles draw but there seems no real gray area there in this one. I am sure this guy said more positive stuff but that negative comment speaks volumes.

Another BIG CONGRATS to Jedd and Andrew for representing our strongth sport so well, onward and upward for sure! I bet we will see at least a modest spike in membership and future gripsters in the near future after this article! :rock

As a side note if anyone is interested:

I have actually been in the Washington Post myself and many other major newspapers back many years ago while serving in the U.S. Army for my involvement in helping the Kenyan people recover from the psychological trauma they endured and had to deal with from the Nairobi, Kenya U.S. Embassy bombing in Aug of 1998. http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1998/Kenyans-Becoming-Crisis-Counselors/id-3430bf6ee65f34611b463c46d02db1d7

Yeah that part made no since to me what so ever about the board being a "cult" its far from it when every new face here is a very welcomed site and the encouragement every one gets is never ending.

mostly a great writeup, and i was excited to be reading it. ..other than Richs' quote. but, re-reading it, im pretty sure the editor may have quoted Rich word for word, and just assumed that Rich wasnt referring to the Nats comp in a negative sense.. it was somewhat evident that the editor didnt view the Nats comp as a "backyard comp" based off the fact that he/she mentioned the comp being at a Andrews gym and having lots of competitors..

but all in all, as Rindo says- "bad publicity is better than no publicity"

I red into it as... smaller comps should be moved into the "front yard".

I wonder how welcome Big Rich has felt by the Grip Board? He has natural strength and great drive to do what interests him. I think that is fair to be able to speak how one feels on this open forum. I can think of others that have contributed much to the grip field that don't post,compete, or train with anyone in the Grip Board world. Should greats like Mr.Brookfield and Mr. Kinney be thought of in the same light because of what they choose to do or ,be given credit for the inspiration, information,and high mark that they have set? I feel we should consider such things first before one hopefully accurate statement taken from an hour interview is the definition of the man.

I wonder how welcome Big Rich has felt by the Grip Board? He has natural strength and great drive to do what interests him. I think that is fair to be able to speak how one feels on this open forum. I can think of others that have contributed much to the grip field that don't post,compete, or train with anyone in the Grip Board world. Should greats like Mr.Brookfield and Mr. Kinney be thought of in the same light because of what they choose to do or ,be given credit for the inspiration, information,and high mark that they have set? I feel we should consider such things first before one hopefully accurate statement taken from an hour interview is the definition of the man.

i am sure rich said many positive things in his interview that didn't make it to the article. i don't know if what was quoted in the article was verbatim. if it was, it does seem to be a bit derogatory toward local meets (and even the North American Championship) and grip forums. it's hard to perceive it any other way. obviously only a few people know the context and actual words of the interview and answers.

Personally I have felt welcomed here and on the steelbenders site as well. And, I am more than happy to have a conversation with anyone that can help me improve, be they naturally gifted or people who have worked things out for themselves. I can't see a situation where any of the athletes mentioned would not be welcomed here. If Mr. Brookfield posted here I am sure he would be treated with respect and asked 1000 questions by people like myself, i.e. people eager to learn.

Having seen Mr. Brookfield work with Mike Mahler, I have a very hard time imagining him referring to what goes on here as a cult. I think the exact opposite is actually true: these kind of 'backyard' strength sports are made up of highly individual people, interested in non-mainstream, freak strength. Like everyone, I hope these comments were just taken out of context as we know journalists are want to do. Perhaps Mr. Williams himself would care to comment and clear the air.

It might have a bearing to understand the situation better but,...The gentleman was researching for an article on grip and its development, it was not a direct report about the Nationals. He called a number of us myself included at least a month before the posting date and in my case it was about my take on an the evolution of grip. All the gathered information was then combined in one article coming together with the Nationals being the final focus . Rich might not have even known about the Nationals or speaking about them other than being in the same article. He as all of us needs to select what needs to be the right atmosphere to compete in and simply referring to backyard events was a way of saying he could not attend every event ever held and chose to pace his funds, time and strength . Just my take when directly asked by other gripsters today. Thanks

• Like 2

It might have a bearing to understand the situation better but,...The gentleman was researching for an article on grip and its development, it was not a direct report about the Nationals. He called a number of us myself included at least a month before the posting date and in my case it was about my take on an the evolution of grip. All the gathered information was then combined in one article coming together with the Nationals being the final focus . Rich might not have even known about the Nationals or speaking about them other than being in the same article. He as all of us needs to select what needs to be the right atmosphere to compete in and simply referring to backyard events was a way of saying he could not attend every event ever held and chose to pace his funds, time and strength . Just my take when directly asked by other gripsters today. Thanks

Richard, I understand your inclination to defend your friend, which is perfectly natural, but your suggestion that Rich may not have known about, nor was he speaking about Nationals is contradicted by the article. Here's the quote from the article:

Perhaps this was a total misquote or taken completely out of context, but barring that it's an insult. So, Rich can say nothing and leave everyone to believe exactly what the article plainly says, or he can clear the air.

• Like 2