Wall Street Journal - Grip Article Tomorrow

Jedd Johnson

Yo everybody, I got a call from the reporter at the Wall Street Journal this evening.

The article on Grip Sport will be in there tomorrow!!!

This gent was at NAGS Champs, so he got to see one of the biggest contests ever with his own eyes.

Can't wait to read the article!

Jedd

• Like 3

Can someone please post a link for those of us with weak Google Fu searching ability?

• Like 1

Really cool!

Hope more people can see how important and fun grip training can be as more people come out to local contests to see first hand what they are missing

• Like 1

Jedd, that is very cool. We get it delivered here at the office. Sometimes some editions are geographical. For example, a few years ago, there was an article on Stanless Steel that was in the East Coast version, but not the one on the West. I will let you know if it pops up on the paper version tomorrow.

• Like 1

The article has just been posted to the Wall Street Journal site. There's also a short video and some pictures.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324904004578539600394806108.html?KEYWORDS=grip+sport#articleTabs%3Darticle

I'm not sure if the article in the newspaper is more detailed or if it is the same.

• Like 3

Overall a good article. Jedd and Andrew get a lot of mention. Jedd mentions the Gripboard in a positive light.

Disappointed to read Rich Williams' comments. Perhaps the real reason he doesn't show up at nationals is that all aspects of hand strength are contested, not simply those taylor made to his strengths like Mighty Mitts. Who knows, I am just speculating.

• Like 1

Disappointed to read Rich Williams' comments.

Not going to lie. I was disappointed to read what he said as well.

• Like 1

Great article, although I must say my respect for Mr Williams took a herculean nose dive.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 2

Well, I guess we all can't be +400# naturals...

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 3

While it was worded poorly, he may just not have the resources to take off and travel to compete in smaller comps.

I hope that is what he meant and NOT, "I don't want to waste my time with BS guys lifting BS weights".

While it was worded poorly, he may just not have the resources to take off and travel to compete in smaller comps.

I hope that is what he meant and NOT, "I don't want to waste my time with BS guys lifting BS weights".

Well, that is one thing about reporting, sometimes because things have to be compressed to fit in the article, the context of the comment does not come through.

The article has just been posted to the Wall Street Journal site. There's also a short video and some pictures.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324904004578539600394806108.html?KEYWORDS=grip+sport#articleTabs%3Darticle

I'm not sure if the article in the newspaper is more detailed or if it is the same.

Great article and write up!

Did not expect those type of comments from rich, he seemed like a really nice and humble guy...I hope he gets the chance to clear this up...

I just recently corresponded with Richard Williams, he still remains humble guy. Perhaps he ambiguously formulated his thought, that turned out so if he spoke dismissively.

Great article!

I could not read any further in the article once I hit Rich Williams' comment. I will try again later.

Excellent article! Other than that one paragraph, I think the article portrays Grip Sport in a very positive light.

• Like 1

I got an email from this Wall Street reporter also, and when I gave him times to contact me I heard nothing. That speaks volumes!

Regarding Rich's comments, this may be what he said, and it may be out of context.

But regarding back-yard contests, ie. the roots of this sport and hobby. Without its roots it is nothing.

This sport was developed from the gyms, garages, cellars, just like weightlifting and powerlifting did. The first all-round grip contest was in a weightlifting gym in 1991.

As for the Expo type affairs, well if this floats your boat, great!

For me, and I've been to many Expos in my time with armwrestling, and after 30 minutes I've had enough of the place, and find a quite spot to sit down. Many of the things I totally stand against are evident in these places.

What's the difference between a gym contest and an Expo?

Money?

The sport of grip is never going to pay the bills, never. Best to get a job!

Crowd?

Your audiences may not know anything about the sport, and may not even care. At least at a backyard contest the competitors will fully understand what is going on.

As I said earlier Rich's comments could be out of context, and he won't be the last person to not like forums.

Just thought I'd put my two penny worth on what I think the sport/hobby is.

• Like 4

All I can say is the article is a great step forward for this sport! Great job to Jedd and Andrew!

Concerning Rich Williams comments? I'm going to Sorinex Summer Strong this weekend and

I will make it a point to ask him to clarify what he meant. I've learned over the years that there's

always 2 sides to a story and often media take things out of context. I will print off the article

and compare it with Rich's side of the story.

I will report back here with my findings.

BTW, I didn't get to go to SSS last year due to unforeseen circumstances so I have never met

Rich. I hope he is present this weekend so I can meet him personally and chat with him a bit as

I plan on doing with numerous others.

• Like 1

I always wanted to belong to a cult. Thanks for accepting me brethren. :-)

Other than the quote from Rich, it was a great article that was very positive on the sport. Hopefully people reading it will be able to get past the one negative paragraph. Overall, it is a huge day for GripSport to have an article like that in one of the most read papers in the world. Well done and congrats to all you guys.

• Like 1

I understand being taken out of context. It happens a lot. Sometimes by a reporter trying to spin things, but usually due to the editing process. Not sure what context the cult comment could have been uttered that would place it in a positive light. Just my two cents. But as they say, any publicity is good publicity.

Yes, ANY publicity is GOOD publicity. Great point, Mike.

Have a good time at Summer Strong, Joe and everyone. I am sure it is going to be AWESOME. I have stuff going on or else I would make the trip this year.

If anyone is having trouble finding the printed copy of the WSJ, you are not alone. I wasn't even sure where to get one and called all over the place last night.

I finally located two people are going to hook a brutha up with a copy. One guy owns an Insurance Company and the other guy owns and Accounting Business in town. If you know people like that, you might contact them and see if you can gig a copy from them!

Of course, if you live in a city with a newsstand, you will probably have no trouble finding one, but here in T and W towns, we don't have those - LOL!