2013 Gripmas Carol

climber511

The ISG results are way different from what the TSG ended up at NAGS. Andrew came in right near me and Kody won it. At NAGS, Andrew was ahead of me and Kody was below us, so they were quite a bit different. But throw that event out and I think the contest ends up pretty much the same, unless we go both hands on the Choke.

I kick my own self in the ass for not working the ISG harder in training. Hindsight 20/20.

Gripmas results (best of the two one handed lifts and sledge) have been added to the NAGS database. Once Aaron approves the entries, many of the lifts will go live on the top fifty lists. Stay posted..

WOW! I was going to try and enter them and had emailed Aaron for help (because I'm a tech idiot). So a huge Thank You Jon!! Huge!

I think everyone knows how I feel about TSGs. I really liked the ISG despite the problem with the light system. I am coming to believe that over time some type of plate loaded parallel handled grip machine that one cannot cheat and that can be micro loaded will end up being the crush test used in competitions - it will have some type of positive close for judging purposes - either visual or audible. As we become a more worldwide organization where results should be "repeatable" and the testing apparatus exactly the same for all countries - anything using a spring for resistance (and one that is very difficult to measure in an accurate way that reflects the total difficulty) isn't going to work. I imagine something hydraulic might also be possible but I don't understand that well enough to comment.

i agree with that Chris. I think the only way TSGs will remain fully legitimate in competition is if all the grippers were rated by the same calibrator and were circulated to every competition. Grippers could be rotated in and out from year to year. But sanctioned contests would have to utilize the competition set (perhaps 30-40 TSGs covering an even range of poundage?) I think the current rules allow too much variance and results are subjective to who calibrated the grippers.

Gripmas results (best of the two one handed lifts and sledge) have been added to the NAGS database. Once Aaron approves the entries, many of the lifts will go live on the top fifty lists. Stay posted..

WOW! I was going to try and enter them and had emailed Aaron for help (because I'm a tech idiot). So a huge Thank You Jon!! Huge!

Not a problem at all Chris, was the least i could do..

I essentially disagree with the idea that grippers will be replaced. While grippers are a test of crush I don't think most people are interested in a crush event. they want a gripper event. some of the thickbar events are pretty interchangable and I feel the same way about pinch but, grippers are clearly an athlete favorite.

as far as judging them being so hard, I think that with the addition of the block set they're no harder to judge than any other event. there is a degree of judgement involved but, I think that trying to eliminate that 100% can lead to more gimickyness than improvement.

• Like 1

I essentially disagree with the idea that grippers will be replaced. While grippers are a test of crush I don't think most people are interested in a crush event. they want a gripper event. some of the thickbar events are pretty interchangable and I feel the same way about pinch but, grippers are clearly an athlete favorite.

as far as judging them being so hard, I think that with the addition of the block set they're no harder to judge than any other event. there is a degree of judgement involved but, I think that trying to eliminate that 100% can lead to more gimickyness than improvement.

I have never understood the fascination people have with grippers I guess - and no doubt never will.

i agree with that Chris. I think the only way TSGs will remain fully legitimate in competition is if all the grippers were rated by the same calibrator and were circulated to every competition. Grippers could be rotated in and out from year to year. But sanctioned contests would have to utilize the competition set (perhaps 30-40 TSGs covering an even range of poundage?) I think the current rules allow too much variance and results are subjective to who calibrated the grippers.

Could not be said any better.

Jon, thanks for what you are doing. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. I hope I conveyed this accurately at Gripmas. It really means a lot to have you helping.

Its no problem at all; its my way of contributing in a small way to help our sport grow. I appreciate everything you do as well - people like you, Aaron, David Horne, and MANY others have made grip sport - competitions in particular, a big part of your life's work.

• Like 1

I want to second Jedd's thanks to Jon. Most people don't have any idea how much work goes into all the records/promoting/running of things.

thank you.

Hey guys,

any idea when the WR's will be approved & added to the NAGS website?

Thanks, Robert

Hey guys,

any idea when the WR's will be approved & added to the NAGS website?

Thanks, Robert

I added them about a week ago, Aaron Corcorran makes final approvals before results go live. He may be a bit busy with the holidays... No worries though - they'll be up soon. :)

Understood. .. Thanks jon!

• 2 weeks later...

WR are updated on the NAGS website guy's...check em out!

Thanks for the updates Aaron!!