2013 Gripmas Carol

climber511

The Sledge Choke is awesome. Straight forward, simple movement. No pain. Easy to judge. Fast.

• Like 1

The Sledge Choke is awesome. Straight forward, simple movement. No pain. Easy to judge. Fast.

No pain? - I thought reading what you and a few others did was pretty painful to my ego :).

Two weeks until the early entry deadline - please get your entry form sent in.

Don't forget - feel free to bring any items you'd like to sell or trade - one mans junk is another mans treasure and all that stuff :)

No pain? - I thought reading what you and a few others did was pretty painful to my ego :).

That may be true. But no pain like with the double lever where it makes you do stuff that biomechanically you are not set up to do.

That may be true. But no pain like with the double lever where it makes you do stuff that biomechanically you are not set up to do.

Ah but watching your face during it was priceless.

On the sledge choke with the 12# sledge. What distance with the choke would equal the full handle with an 8# sledge? And will that become one of the qualifiers for Nationals now that it is being contested more often?

My only guess would be using the following math:

8lb head X index finger at 25 inches (8X25) = 200

12lb head X index finger at 17 inches (12X17) = 204

I counted distance at the first finger versus distance at the back of the hand, because the score for the Sledge Choke involves first finger reference, and not back of the hand.

Seems about right difficulty-wise. Not sure if it really works out.

Take note - the wrinkling of my face is tension, not pain. The day after hard training on the Sledge Choke, I can train the Sledge Choke again. The day after hard training on the Supported Double Sledge Lever, I need a break.

Double Supported Lever hurt the web of skin between my thumb and fingers really bad (like almost injury bad) - other than that I didn't notice much muscular or joint pain from it - but yeah - it hurts like a B..... I usually used gloves when training for it. I feel a little pain at max distances on the choke but mostly I just kind of collapse at my limit. It seems like a safe event that can move quickly and be super easy to judge - my off hand is a lot weaker - you? Now to find one that works as well to test the other direction of the wrist.

Josh Henze is now signed up!

Just uploaded this so it may take a few minutes to show up. It's the Gripmas Carol Ivanko Super Gripper light setup and shows the "set" method I will allow. You can place your closing hand in "a normal manner" as far out towards the end as you want (no tricks here allowed for any feat cheaters who want to get inventive) - I think that will eliminate any arguments. When you are positioning the closing hand the ISG may not be moved from the stops. If the two stops separate - that's your turn.

says it's private

Try it now.

I assume that when we play with it for a minute we'll see how not to set it off accidentally?

are those the normal ISG springs? I think there's one at the gym I can play with.

Will the ISG be held inverted like in the video or the normal way for the competition?

Inverted? I don't understand the question I guess. You can hold it horizontal or at an angle like I did - it cannot touch any other part of your body during the close.

Edited by climber511

Will the ISG be held inverted like in the video or the normal way for the competition?

Inverted? I don't understand the question I guess. You can hold it horizontal or at an angle like I did - it cannot touch any other part of your body during the close.
Sorry, bad wording. For the contest is the ISG going to be held in the orientation that you are holding it in your video or in this orientation: Edited by Tom Scibelli

Tom - I have never seen it that way before. I don't have a problem with it but think everyone must do it the same of course. Is one way harder or easier than the other?

12 and 9? Holy Crap am I weak!!

Brent - they are the springs that came with it new. I lost the little rubber caps over the years.

12 and 9? Holy Crap am I weak!!
Yeah, this was not a video of me. My max is only around a 10-1. But I've been training with it in this orientation. I think it might be harder holding it the way you are in your video but I haven't trained with it that way so I'll have to try.

Brent Barbe is now signed up.

Is there a downloadable entry form for this?