Beginner To Grip Training, Can You Overdo It?

Hafey

I'd like to preface in saying that if I have posted this in the wrong area, please tell me and ill happily move it to where it should be.

Im starting the beginner grip training workout that David Horne posted:

Pinch lift + hold
wrist curls
reverse wrist curls
finger curls

I am doing this 3 times a week as stated (mon,wed,fri) however I had a question in regards to overdoing it, whether or not it was possible (which im sure it is) however to what degree? and if I was able to add some of my favourite exercises into the mix.

I was hoping I would be able to add farmers walks, and my gym has a metal bar with a rope attached where you add a weight to the bottom and roll it up (not sure the name for the exercise).

Kind regards

The exercise you ask about is a wrist roller. You're able to go both ways when using this tool (wrist flexion ad extension) depending on which way the rope is being pulled up.

This can replace your wrist curls of both varieties if you'd like. Or you can alternate.

The farmers walk is definitely a good idea. I suggest doing them, they'll work your closed hand grip and endurance well.

In addition, doing double overhand (DO) deadlifts will do the same, and your grip will quickly catch up to what you can pull right now with straps or with a neutral grip. From now, as a general rule, don't use straps for DLs.

Pinch lifting is fun and will develop your thumb pad. I'm assuming you're plate pinching.

This being said, it's very possible to overtrain yourself. Wrist roller takes longer to heal, so will be once a week. DODLs and farmers can be once a week each or so.

Plate pinching can be once a week, it can tear up your hands pretty easily. The closed grip heals faster from exhaustion than the open grip.

Keep it light in the beginning and work up. If you feel any tingling in your elbows, take it a little slower.

Listen to your body and abbreviate your training while keeping the fundamentals.

Pinch lifting is great, however my gym has plastic plates so i'm not sure how much that aids in the thumb pad strengthening.

Im currently doing a Sheiko #30 powerlifting routine, and it has be deadlifting once a week for a lot of volume, and i've never strapped up for deadlifts, and by the looks of it i have no intention of doing so. The program is 3 days a week so im doing my grip training on my off days.

@TentacleGrip

Looks like ill implement some farmers walks and ill alternate between wrist rollers and wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. thanks for the help!

Standard weight bar collars for pinch grip, i have used a wrist roller for ten years trust me it works and fat grip bent over rows.

Dont forget deadlifts for all around strength. And overtraining only prevents growth let your muscles and tendons heal good.

You can over do it on anything and the last thing you want to hurts is your hands and you must crawl before you walk and walk before you run also strength training is a marathon not a race so just got at your own pace and learn to feel what works for you.

good luck in your training.

The whole idea of a "beginners program" is to build a base of all around hand and forearm strength before committing to a more advanced or specialized routine. Therefore the work load is limited on purpose - to avoid the over reaching or over training effects that beginners get into of wanting to add in this and this and this until something bad happens. Consider this program as a"toughening up" or maybe as an "injury proofing" process. Take it slow and do Davids program as written for a couple months - then if recovery has not become an issue - add in one (and only one) new movement at a time. Too much too soon has done in many people - don't be one of them.

• Like 1

I find soaking my hands and wrist and doing extenser workouts also prevents pain and loosen's things up.

• 1 month later...

Standard weight bar collars for pinch grip,

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Was this in response to his concern about training pinch strength but not having flat metal plates at his gym? How would you use bar collars to fix this?

I was suggesting working his pinch grip with small standard size weight collars, in response to his concern of not effectively targeting the thumb pad.

You would squeeze the collar with your index finger and thumb.