Grip Museum For The Grip Board!

mightyjoe

Here's a Russian Grip Dynamometer from Russia that I received last week and now

have on display in the museum!

This dyno works very well! It goes to 30 kg./66 lbs. and to reset it back to zero you simply

rotate the dial in the back of the unit and you're set to go! This dyno is marked as an unknown

manufacturer at this point because Natalia didn't know and I do not know at this point. I believe David

Horne has a similar dyno in his collection and maybe he can enlighten us on a manufacturer?

Big Thanks to Natalia Aksak from Russia for this wonderful donation to the Grip Museum!!!

Hope you enjoy the pics! :)

post-14752-0-21663300-1374801879_thumb.j

post-14752-0-97801600-1374801892_thumb.j

post-14752-0-85020200-1374801906_thumb.j

post-14752-0-34285500-1374801918_thumb.j

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mightyjoe

• Sam Scott

• Brett H

• Old Dax

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to officially announce that my Grip Museum is now the Official Grip Museum for the Grip Board!!! I want to thank Bill (wannagrip) and all the mods for making this happen and I would fur

For those interested I have been absent for some time now and being this sub-forum was set up at my request I feel very obligated to participate and share things as I have time. I was absent for numer

The latest donation for the Grip Museum can be read about here: http://musselwhitepapers.blogspot.com/ HUGE Thanks to Alawahdi for his donation and generosity!!!

Posted Images

David Horne

I don't know the manufacturer, but it possibly will have the date of manufacture on the back, mine was 1974.

Here's a Russian Grip Dynamometer from Russia that I received last week and now

have on display in the museum!

This dyno works very well! It goes to 30 kg./66 lbs. and to reset it back to zero you simply

rotate the dial in the back of the unit and you're set to go! This dyno is marked as an unknown

manufacturer at this point because Natalia didn't know and I do not know at this point. I believe David

Horne has a similar dyno in his collection and maybe he can enlighten us on a manufacturer?

Big Thanks to Natalia Aksak from Russia for this wonderful donation to the Grip Museum!!!

Hope you enjoy the pics! :)

mightyjoe

It sure does!

The manufacturers date is 1971. I had to use a 10x loupe to read the numbers.

Thanks David!

mightyjoe

Joe,

Where does that #4 rate.

My prediction is 185.

I haven't got to rate it yet Sam but I'll post it here when I do buddy!

Yesterday I was up till 1:00 am moving my power rack upstairs instead of it sitting out in the

shed unused the majority of the year because it's either too hot or too cold to train out there.

I got it all done and now I can rate grippers in an controlled environment anytime now. PLUS,

I bought a neat device that will seal the deal on rating grippers as far as max force numbers.

I'll try and get it set up this weekend for a review. We are remodeling and painting our bathroom

this weekend so not much spare time.

BTW, I'm making a special display for these Szimanski Test Grippers and I think everyone will indeed like it!

climber511

Joe - there's only one place left to look for the PDA Gripper paper - I'll check there today - it's always the last place we look :)

climber511

I found it - just have to go get it copied - it's 40 pages long. Joe PM me your mailing address please.

mightyjoe

I found it - just have to go get it copied - it's 40 pages long. Joe PM me your mailing address please.

Thanks Chris!

PM sent!!!

mightyjoe

Joe,

Where does that #4 rate.

My prediction is 185.

The PDA #4 Test Gripper rated @ 190.0 lbs. today! You was very close Sam!!!

mightyjoe

UPDATE!

Rated 15 more grippers from the collection today and below is the new number and all

15 grippers were rated with my new DDM rating system! With my NEW ratchet style chain

hoist secured inline with my digital scale I can now guarantee accuracy to +/- 6.4 oz. :rock

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 151

Highest Rated Gripper: World Class @ 285.8 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
mightyjoe

UPDATE!

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 161

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 1

Is/was there any real changes to what grippers read or have results been predictable and in a close range.? Overall range of #3.....#4s?

mightyjoe

Is/was there any real changes to what grippers read or have results been predictable and in a close range.? Overall range of #3.....#4s?

Thanks for the great question Richard!

I will have to take some notes and get some averages. Please note that I can only compare numbers with spring size

at the moment due to other variables that I can't control such as handle spread, spring quality, etc. I will get some

averages posted this week and we can see.

I will get averages on spring sizes for #2, 3, and 4 type grippers. By spring diameter that is. I will further break it down

by brand as well. For example, COC #3's, GHP's 7 and Tetting Grand Masters and so on.

Edited by Mighty Joe

You mentioned handle spread. Is shutting a gripper over a longer sweep create more work done in the feat or less? Would shutting a gripper of the same ultimate closing strength be harder if that resistance sweep was more or even twice as far? Say 1 inch as opposed to two inch sweep or is it all the same?

mightyjoe

You mentioned handle spread. Is shutting a gripper over a longer sweep create more work done in the feat or less? Would shutting a gripper of the same ultimate closing strength be harder if that resistance sweep was more or even twice as far? Say 1 inch as opposed to two inch sweep or is it all the same?

More! Yes!

Even though the total closing force is the same you are moving that force over a longer distance (ROM) which

is equal to more work.

The reason a wider spread gripper seems harder than a narrow spread or even a normal spread gripper of

the same total closing force is because you are starting the close from a wider hand position which is a weaker

position than a more narrow hand position.

Make sense? If not, I'll try a better explanation.

Thanks for such a good question Richard!

Wish there was a device that registered the amount of work to close a gripper through its full range. A example question would be if a 1.5 gripper was closed with a full 2" sweep would more or less actual work be done than say a # 2 closed from an inch out set? Since the hand and gripper position changes through a full range close and a deep set is a hand set in a more favorable end set position the short close is almost like an isometric exercise. In study partials or isometrics only really build strength at the range and angle they are used at .Perhaps partials might not help you get over that hump and certified as quick as hoped. This stuff is just simple food for grip thought. Logical answers are welcomed.

• 5 months later...
mightyjoe

UPDATED Listings as of February 1, 2014:

Total Grippers = 320 (previous number was 311)
Grippers by Type: 11
Torsion Spring Grippers = 276
Vulcan Type Grippers = 9
Ivanko Super Grippers = 2
Frame Type Grippers = 2
Compression Spring Type = 3
Grip Spring DB’s = 6
Others = 4
Grippers by Brand: 36 (latest brand in bold)
Alex
AtomGripz
BCG
Beef Builders - made by Warren Tetting
Bone Crusher
Emenee
Everlast
FBBC - Fat Bastard Barbell Company
Generation II
GHP - Gillingham High Performance
GNC - General Nutrition Center
Gold’s Gym
Grip Master - Pro Hands
Harbinger
Heavy Grips
Horne, David - Vulcan
Hubert Brown
Iron Mind - Captains of Crush
Iron Grip
Ivanko
Jubinville - Super Gripper
Kool
Manus Grip - Silvis Grip
Python Grip
Robert Baraban - RB Grippers
Samson
Sandow
Sears
Socha - Iron Hand
Spri
Tetting - Thor
Valeo
Voit - AMF
Weider
Whitely
York
Hand Grippers by Countries: 17, (with latest country in bold)
Austria
Canada
China
England
Europe
France
Germany
Israel
Italy
Japan
Korea
Poland
Russia
S. Korea
Taiwan
Ukraine
United States
  • Like 1
mightyjoe

UPDATE!

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 161

UPDATE: Total Number of rated grippers is now 167 as of February 1, 2014!

mightyjoe

The latest donation for the Grip Museum can be read about here: http://musselwhitepapers.blogspot.com/

HUGE Thanks to Alawahdi for his donation and generosity!!!

• Like 2
Alex
AtomGripz
BCG
Bone Crusher
Emenee
Everlast
Generation II
Gold’s Gym
Grip Master - Pro Hands
Harbinger
Heavy Grips
Horne, David - Vulcan
Hubert Brown
Iron Grip
Ivanko
Kool
Manus Grip - Silvis Grip
Python Grip
Samson
Sandow
Sears
Socha - Iron Hand
Spri
Tetting - Thor
Valeo
Voit - AMF
Weider
Whitely
York

Great to see you back after a long hiatus from GB.com

Quick question, what happened to the PDA Grippers? They haven't been included on the list.

mightyjoe

Thanks Sam! They are included in the total # of grippers and rated grippers and your name is listed as a contributor. I also posted pics in this thread along with the ratings.

Edited by Mighty Joe
mightyjoe

My mistake Sam! PDA is not listed under brands. I sincerely apologize for this oversight!

Correcting it now by adding it to the list!

mightyjoe

UPDATE:

Grippers by Brand: 37 (latest brand in bold)
Alex
AtomGripz
BCG
Bone Crusher
Emenee
Everlast
Generation II
Gold’s Gym
Grip Master - Pro Hands
Harbinger
Heavy Grips
Horne, David - Vulcan
Hubert Brown
Iron Grip
Ivanko
Kool
Manus Grip - Silvis Grip
PDA, (Piedmont Design Associates)
Python Grip
Samson
Sandow
Sears
Socha - Iron Hand
Spri
Tetting - Thor
Valeo
Voit - AMF
Weider
Whitely
York
  • 2 weeks later...
Alawadhi

Joe

I noticed you don't have John Brookfield grippers. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason?