New #4 Close (cracked The Handles Together)

Paul Savage

Paul the same thing happened to me when I signed up for the #3 certification. They said I hadn't closed the #3 under certification conditions enough times before requesting the cert. They wanted me to do it under cert conditions many times before requesting the cert. Randall Strossen told me I can still do the certification if I was confident that I was ready. You probably got the same email that I did. He said it wasn't really a rejection but more questioning if I'm ready. We discussed this on the IM forum in this thread http://ironmind-forum.com/showthread.php?1617-Another-COC-3-CCS-close

Chez -

I'm interested in what you consider being the same thing, so I'll go back and review your request because the rules are both simple and clear: we want you to have mastered the gripper before requesting an official attempt. Here's a link to the rules:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/captainsofcrush5.html

Chris is at lunch right now, but when he gets back, I'll have him pull your file for review.

I didn't mean Paul got the same response since I didn't read what he received. I wasn't trying to start any controversy. I was trying to explain the possible reason which I agree is that you have to be ready to perform under cert conditions. That is what Chris told me and I wrote above. That is all.

Paul if you can't get an official crack, atleast do it unofficially on video with all the normal procedures present. That in itself would create a precedent that has never been established and would surely give you a go at an official attempt by Iron Mind.

You don't even have to do it on video—most people quietly do this themselves before they request a certification attempt and IronMind urges people to make sure they are ready, even though we understand that anyone can have a bad day.

But to approach this on a wing and prayer and to think you can go from almost touching the handles after a deep set start to something that's legal by the rules isn't realistic. I'm trying to think who has the record on a missed attempt—I remember one guy who came up about 1" short of closing a CoC No. 3 on his official attempt. You probably think I'm kidding, but this really happened and some other things like that led to IronMind developing a pre-certification questionnaire to screen people who request a certification attempt.

I would skip the 3 Cert, do a 3.5 Cert. Burke skipped the 3 and went directly to the 3.5 after the LA Fit Expo.

He did indeed and I know it's true because I read about this on the IronMind forum (and I was there, too), and Mike Burke had just spanked some of the biggest records in the grip strength world and he asked me if I had a CoC No. 3.5 with me and the next thing you know, he closed the sucker—didn't even make it look like that much of a struggle. Maybe at the IronMind Record Breakers, when he thinks he's done for the day, we can give him a CoC No. 3 for each hand and let him slam them a la Jesse Marunde.

Edited by Randall Strossen
  • Like 1

Paul the same thing happened to me when I signed up for the #3 certification. They said I hadn't closed the #3 under certification conditions enough times before requesting the cert. They wanted me to do it under cert conditions many times before requesting the cert. Randall Strossen told me I can still do the certification if I was confident that I was ready. You probably got the same email that I did. He said it wasn't really a rejection but more questioning if I'm ready. We discussed this on the IM forum in this thread http://ironmind-forum.com/showthread.php?1617-Another-COC-3-CCS-close

Chez -

I'm interested in what you consider being the same thing, so I'll go back and review your request because the rules are both simple and clear: we want you to have mastered the gripper before requesting an official attempt. Here's a link to the rules:

Chris is at lunch right now, but when he gets back, I'll have him pull your file for review.

I didn't mean Paul got the same response since I didn't read what he received. I wasn't trying to start any controversy. I was trying to explain the possible reason which I agree is that you have to be ready to perform under cert conditions. That is what Chris told me and I wrote above. That is all.

Not a problem but I want to check our correspondence (yours with IronMind) to see what transpired so we can close the loop on this. Meanwhile, here's an easy way to explain the situation about what can happen when some wants to certify.

Suppose someone requests certification on the Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper and in the pre-certification questionnaire, they tell us how they can consistently close the gripper with a legal start, etc.—this is not using some funky No. 3 they bought via Sam, either, but a recent vintage CoC No. 3 that has not been bent, spindled or otherwise mutilated. The guy's good to go, right?

Case two: A guy tells us that he's closed an OGM (other gripper manufacturer) TM (TuffMuther) and maybe he even tells us that it has an RGC rating of XZY and using a medium-deep set he almost closed it last Friday.

We would write back to the second guy and while noting how swell that was, we'd ask how he could do in terms of closing a CoC No. 3 according to the rules.

Chez -

Not a problem but I want to check our correspondence (yours with IronMind) to see what transpired so we can close the loop on this. Meanwhile, here's an easy way to explain the situation about what can happen when some wants to certify.

Suppose someone requests certification on the Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper and in the pre-certification questionnaire, they tell us how they can consistently close the gripper with a legal start, etc.—this is not using some funky No. 3 they bought via Sam, either, but a recent vintage CoC No. 3 that has not been bent, spindled or otherwise mutilated. The guy's good to go, right?

Case two: A guy tells us that he's closed an OGM (other gripper manufacturer) TM (TuffMuther) and maybe he even tells us that it has an RGC rating of XZY and using a medium-deep set he almost closed it last Friday.

We would write back to the second guy and while noting how swell that was, we'd ask how he could do in terms of closing a CoC No. 3 according to the rules.

I've got your pre-certification questionnaire in front of me now and my guess is that our concern was that you had first closed the CoC No. 3 about a week before you requested certification and we were looking for some reassurance that you could do this consistently. So we emailed you about this and got no answer. You did raise the matter on a forum though, as I recall, and I probably hopped on and asked you a few questions, got some answers, and decided you were ready. Next thing was that IronMind lined you up with Steve Weiner (CoC3 '00) as your referee and you destroyed the CoC No. 3 under official conditions and got certified.

So, it's not that we're bad guys when we run through this due diligence stuff at IronMind—the guys who can perform are going to get their shot and they will succeed, but that does not mean that everyone who wants to get certified is ready.

Chez -

I've got your pre-certification questionnaire in front of me now and my guess is that our concern was that you had first closed the CoC No. 3 about a week before you requested certification and we were looking for some reassurance that you could do this consistently. So we emailed you about this and got no answer. You did raise the matter on a forum though, as I recall, and I probably hopped on and asked you a few questions, got some answers, and decided you were ready. Next thing was that IronMind lined you up with Steve Weiner (CoC3 '00) as your referee and you destroyed the CoC No. 3 under official conditions and got certified.

So, it's not that we're bad guys when we run through this due diligence stuff at IronMind—the guys who can perform are going to get their shot and they will succeed, but that does not mean that everyone who wants to get certified is ready.

Yep, that is exactly what happened. I misunderstood the email. I understood afterwards the reason for the process. I also had no clue IM was going to give me the gripper after the cert, which I thought was pretty cool. I was going to pay for it and even asked Steve if I could buy it. Again, I didn't mean to start anything by posting in this thread. I was just trying to let Paul know the probable reason is that you wanted to make sure he was ready.

Hi randall,

With regards to paul savage. What would you consider him mastering the 4 to be?

Consistently ccs's a 4 on video?

Hi randall,

Question went through twice, sorry.

Chez -

Yep, that is exactly what happened. I misunderstood the email. I understood afterwards the reason for the process. I also had no clue IM was going to give me the gripper after the cert, which I thought was pretty cool. I was going to pay for it and even asked Steve if I could buy it. Again, I didn't mean to start anything by posting in this thread. I was just trying to let Paul know the probable reason is that you wanted to make sure he was ready.

Chez -

Thanks much and no apology is necessary because this example gave us a concrete way to walk through the process and how it works.

Also want to thank you for what we said about the gripper, but, hey, you earned it and this is something to show your kids and grandkids many years from now when they, You used to be strong?!

Hi randall,

Hi randall,

First of all, it's nice to see even a veteran get whacked trying to post—I usually feel pretty klutzy over here and already managed to really butcher one reply on this thread.

All IronMind wants to see or hear is that Paul is ready per the rules—Paul, himself, told us that he wasn't ready to do this, so nobody should think he was trying to bluff on this. When Paul tells us he can consistently close a Captains of Crush No. 4 as described above, we'll be more than delighted to fire up the certification process for him.

That's the easy part, but here's the part that some guys are not going to want to hear: a lot of confusion enters the picture when all sorts of variations are accepted as a legitimate close, so while Steve Gardner, for example, has said that he believes any close counts as a close, I stick by IronMind's definition that we use for certification.

If you've been over on the IronMind forum, you know that when I challenged Steve on this, I explained that I, too, could close a Captains of Crush No. 4, but my starting position used a WVS (Wilton Vise Set), which begins with the gripper, essentially, being shut first with the help of a Wilton vise, and Steve for some reason felt this didn't count. Ok, a silly example, but my point was to parody some of what passes as a reasonable "set" and counts as "closing" a gripper and to show that everyone draws a line in the sand at some point.

But all of this is like talking about the days before Monolifts, triple ply suits and mile-high squats: there was time when if someone said he squatted xyz, you kind of knew what he meant, but now it might mean just about anything—if he can't get it passed in one federation, he can always go to another one. Same thing on grippers—the genie is out of the bottle and he isn't going back in.

• Like 2

I guess the rules are pretty clear and you have to respect that. This thread has enlightened me a bit about the whole process though I always thought the person certifying had to pay to do it so makes more sense that ironmind would want you more then ready for your attempt. I still believe its challenging to hit a world record-which would be a #4 ccs- consistently yet if you can do it at least once comfortably that should give you the confidence to try it-as well as the confidence with ironmind to let you try-.

I'm glad you have remained positive and give yourself the only option which is simply to just get stronger and try later down the road. I will continue to follow your log in the hopes you can acomplish your goal.

• Like 1

Honestly at first i was mad and i thought the decision was unfair, however after it was explained to me that changed. Rules are rules and i can only blame myself as i was the one who wasn't aware.

It doesn't change anything in the big picture but realistically i do have to slow things down a bit as doing this fresh while peaked one time vs multiple times when not fresh are two different things. I will push until august, looking to get the ccs done at least once, pinch six 5kg, 100kg dumbbell fat gripz and hopefully a good number on the axle. After this i hope to go on holiday and take some down time as i have been pushing my body very hard for an extended period of time now. I don't want to do anything stupid and get injured.

Ultimately, we know how strong you are, Paul. We have seen videos of how strong you are and no one can take that from you.

I would skip the 3 Cert, do a 3.5 Cert. Burke skipped the 3 and went directly to the 3.5 after the LA Fit Expo.

He did indeed and I know it's true because I read about this on the IronMind forum (and I was there, too), and Mike Burke had just spanked some of the biggest records in the grip strength world and he asked me if I had a CoC No. 3.5 with me and the next thing you know, he closed the sucker—didn't even make it look like that much of a struggle. Maybe at the IronMind Record Breakers, when he thinks he's done for the day, we can give him a CoC No. 3 for each hand and let him slam them a la Jesse Marunde.

I witnessed this as well and I asked Hubgeezer, "Was that a #3?".

He said, "NO! That was a #3.5!!!"

Chez -

Can you please tell me about this 'funky' #3 I sold to someone?

I just saw the end of this thread now. If one looks at the Mash Monster certs we do have something in place and in reality is no different -- several gates to try and make sure the person is ready. And, one of those gates is the MM0. Yes, they could have a "weaker 3". But, we also figured there is somewhat of a "peer pressure" element here with the cert. We figured if they want to go on display trying a cert close and miss it by a country mile after doing the MM0, the writing is pretty much on the wall for that person for the world to see here when the video comes out. Also, making the person pay for shipping also adds a "pre-screen" element as well. :)

I have also pre-screened many MM0's before they even get judged. "Dude, this will get rejected by the judges...I advise you to do X, Y, and Z." They have always been thankful for the feedback to get better and be successful.

Chez -

Sam -

It was the one that you torched and stomped and then had RB swap the spring on, but no, I was only using that as an illustration since—fairly or not—guys assume you have done worse than bend, fold, spindle and otherwise mutilate grippers.

Sorry if you took offense at that but I needed a quick way to communicate the idea of something different from, say, an unmodified, recent vintage Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper, and your (assumed) history provided the course of least resistance.

• Like 2

Chez -

Sam -

It was the one that you torched and stomped and then had RB swap the spring on, but no, I was only using that as an illustration since—fairly or not—guys assume you have done worse than bend, fold, spindle and otherwise mutilate grippers.

Sorry if you took offense at that but I needed a quick way to communicate the idea of something different from, say, an unmodified, recent vintage Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper, and your (assumed) history provided the course of least resistance.

Wow! I think Ironmind makes great equipment (i'm not a fan of the cert rule changes in the past, in which case no one has ever really certed on a #4) and has done a lot for the sport, but it seems like your "slinging a lot of mud" to be representing a company that's suppose to be the standard for grip sports.

Is there any video's of magnus certing the #4 ?

Is there any video's of magnus certing the #4 ?

Not his official cert but he has closed #4's on video

I have seen those just never realy seen a 4# cert

Let's not go off on a tangent and detract from the original intentions of Paul's thread.

Ok?

Chez -

Sam -

Wow! I think Ironmind makes great equipment (i'm not a fan of the cert rule changes in the past, in which case no one has ever really certed on a #4) and has done a lot for the sport, but it seems like your "slinging a lot of mud" to be representing a company that's suppose to be the standard for grip sports.

Slinging mud or replying with answers you might not agree with?

Boy the quotes are getting a country mile here.

No kidding—I'm getting kind of cross-eyed reading some of them :blink . . . especially mine!

Boy the quotes are getting a country mile here.

No kidding—I'm getting kind of cross-eyed reading some of them :blink . . . especially mine!

There's lots of people called Sam, funny how he thought/knew it was him! ;)

Sam knows the history of grippers and has himself become part of this, probably for more notorious reasons than having certed! Those that know, know.

This makes for an easy point of reference when it comes to malarky! :)

If you read the posts you can see they were made somewhat tongue in cheek but with a definite nod to the past...it's a lovely place but you shouldn't be living there! :)