From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

I am still a bit sore from "moving down the line " to doing one arm rows now with our 138lb. Baby Inch Bell replica. It is the same size as the original just turned out light due to a special cast iron used by mistake years ago. I am SO glad that mistake was done. To row it( yes I did use a strap) loads your arm and back muscles in a very intense way. ( like palming a basketball feeling) sets of 10 with it about ground me to a halt. My new student our 170 lb. soccer playing shop foreman is really getting into lifting( he has played 7 soccer matches back to back in one day) being as tough as a honey badger. He high bar rock bottom squatted 350 last night and rowed the Inch 138 for five strict reps! He really doesn't know how strong he is getting. Repping 420 in the deadlift dead raw like he owned it as well. Every night it seems that another face joins the training center gang. These folks work hard all day building quality strength equipment then lift their creations 3 nights a week . That to me shows dedication to purpose. A rangy but tough lot...... I have a lot to be proud of seeing that fire in their eyes!

We all enjoyed John Cena's visit and wish him well in Ireland and with his new film. The guy is a dedicated ,down to earth as they say a People's Champion......he earns it!

Also a few more shorts of Bryan Danielson aka WWE Superstar Daniel Bryan who came and trained in the afternoon before a match later that night in Columbia, SC

post-57-0-98871900-1383923610_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-97378100-1383923657_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-42379900-1383923700_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-12995000-1383923794_thumb.jpg

Thinking of the films John Cena has been part of and being Veterans Day I just wanted to say......I was # 21 on my draft pick notice in 1972 I was probably going....I entered in grad school so at least I would continue my education to the time I was called in for service. A broken leg ended that and the draft was called off. I have spoken with many WW2 and Viet Nam vets and deeply thanked them for doing the necessary to keep America safe for our way of life. I told one vet I felt that I felt in someway deprived of doing my part by the luck of the draw. He flared up and said I should never feel that way and it was what had to be done no more no less , I felt the things he learned and gained and body parts he gave perhaps were part of something required as a passage to a higher level of responsibility as a person and citizen. I pray each day that those who gave so much and came back and quietly went on with their life are remembered. We have two vets working with us one pieced back together with titanium and left with many scars that continue to heal by working in the Wounded Warrior project on a daily basis. Deep felt honor and thanks .

• Like 1

It was like an iron storm last night. The SBI( strength by invitation) crew grows. Hit a bit higher bench single towards my goal and diamond bar presses and the ever helping band presses are at a new height. A strong torso... The key to overall strength is built like that. Standing on your feet and doing alternate movements helps so much. From the heavy( for me) one arm rows I was able to climb trees and ladders like a monkey this weekend...no easy feat for a typical 63 year old. Everyone had PRs last night and the grip area was a war zone. Blobs flew in every direction regular and face up gals both shut the #2 and flirted with the 2.5 hovering. "Same same "training mode ...credit cards were out and used. Stones were pinched in every possible way and when the web area of the hand started to split on a few stalwarts we called it a night. You missed a good one!

Felt like the old days last night. All my row sets of 5x10 each with the vintage Jackson 125 dumbbell. Squats up to do doubles up to 375 raw. Knocked out endless curls on concentration straight pull machine( my pet design) ending with a set of 40 reps with 70 lbs. everyone went for it .....all the new guys went up again on PRs in deadlift up to a few try's at 450. Not bad for regular folks with enough heart to try. Grip continues to return but must be careful to not overwork that area for proper recovery.

At a wonderful place visiting and sharing a hunt with World champion and standout in Highland games Dan McKim. He is a complete true gentleman athlete. So very strong ...350 snatch and his 4xl tee shirt stretches over a fit 300 lb. man /mountain frame.His dad an amazing man is like the body double of his son. Dad is a lifter, coach, preacher and farmer with an attitude and laugh that let you know there are truly good people in this world. A cherished experience in the wilds of Missouri. Plenty of deer in this state!!! Should have done more cardio and calf stretching. Newly regained strength from rows , grip, and upper body strength has saved me so far!

Mr. sorin,

You are a role model of mine...i've always said that when i'm around your age, i want to be still moving the big boy weights around instead of being "that guy" at the gym talking about the good old days. Reading your journal gives me confidence that the human body is perfectly capable of staying healthy through decades of lifting with careful form and planning. Thank you!

Anthony ,

I take your observation and compliments a measure of what a good life should be. We are all given gifts but we choose how to use them. I think a good day or deed needs to be returned and to see a young lifters face light up or the spark of interest is lit by something ...ANYTHING that we can do IS the highest order of personal success. If you are going to show up do your best. That extra effort adds up. If you are willing to lead a good fight in anything worthy it in my opinion worthwhile. In my younger days in gripping or lifting I was so passionate not of my skills or given strength but my will was at a level that those believed what I told a much stronger opponent " you will have to kill me to beat me" their heart and mind was not willing to go there " to that place" In the big picture of the world we are not much so what we do rarely leaves our own life force circle , family or real friends. Do your best by them and they will do their best by you. There are people out there that are counterproductive and send out negative life force. I suggest to avoid it and seek the true ,good people, mentors of quality and be PART of something that matters. Each time I reach out and look and become involved life gets better. Yes , It was easy to be a active strength monster at 30 give it another 30 years and see where your passion , heart and strength really lie! Time does a number on us all use every moment wisely..............

• Like 2

Anthony ,

I take your observation and compliments a measure of what a good life should be. We are all given gifts but we choose how to use them. I think a good day or deed needs to be returned and to see a young lifters face light up or the spark of interest is lit by something ...ANYTHING that we can do IS the highest order of personal success. If you are going to show up do your best. That extra effort adds up. If you are willing to lead a good fight in anything worthy it in my opinion worthwhile. In my younger days in gripping or lifting I was so passionate not of my skills or given strength but my will was at a level that those believed what I told a much stronger opponent " you will have to kill me to beat me" their heart and mind was not willing to go there " to that place" In the big picture of the world we are not much so what we do rarely leaves our own life force circle , family or real friends. Do your best by them and they will do their best by you. There are people out there that are counterproductive and send out negative life force. I suggest to avoid it and seek the true ,good people, mentors of quality and be PART of something that matters. Each time I reach out and look and become involved life gets better. Yes , It was easy to be a active strength monster at 30 give it another 30 years and see where your passion , heart and strength really lie! Time does a number on us all use every moment wisely..............

Thank you for the words of wisdom, Mr. Sorin. I lost my father at 14 years old and since then twelve years have passed and I never take one day for granted. Training for me has been a way to stay focused in all aspects of life and i do not know where i would be without the gym. So i just want you to know, when you post these updates in your journal, people are reading and listening, and taking it in.

I stood shivering in my sateen blue gym shorts in the November cold trying to use a wall to block the wind howling through the schoolyard. I was young ,13 and in 8th grade. I was hoping the required gym class would be over soon. I heard a scream and on the steel fire escape landing a normally reserved English teacher ran out screaming. " they killed the president, they killed President Kennedy" I was so surprised this stoic lady was frantic ,I instantly knew it was something true AND bad. The world changed that day a half century ago...perhaps not for the better. I still have the vision for some reason of seeing myself standing there in those shorts looking upward at that teacher in a third party like a still photo observation. God rest him and all the others taken before their time. R Sorin

I NOW recall why I was standing shivering in those shorts. Kennedy established the Presidents council on physical fitness and we were required to take physical education AND be tested. He wanted America more fit.I had started lifting and grip work but the 600yard walk run was SO very hard for me after early tests I vowed to never be last again. Perhaps that stimulus kept me driving onward. I made sure after that things changed.

I NOW recall why I was standing shivering in those shorts. Kennedy established the Presidents council on physical fitness and we were required to take physical education AND be tested. He wanted America more fit.I had started lifting and grip work but the 600yard walk run was SO very hard for me after early tests I vowed to never be last again. Perhaps that stimulus kept me driving onward. I made sure after that things changed.

Richard - remember Kennedy's 50 mile hike? My friends and I did it - it was a long day as a kid!

Richard - remember Kennedy's 50 mile hike? My friends and I did it - it was a long day as a kid!

I think I did it in 1963 - I would have been 14 I think.

Good stuff Richard. I vividly remember gym classes in grade school and throughout and the best part was the end of the year, when the weather was warming up and we were preparing for our Presidential Physical Fitness Test. The pull-ups, sit-ups, shuttle run, standing long jump, v-sit and reach, and mile run. Those are fond memories for sure! Several years ago I ran into my old grade school teacher and she told me, at that time, that I still stood atop the leader board for the most pull-ups done in her class. I was pretty impressed by that but also saddened because it made me realize the state our youth are in. My kids don't even have the Presidential test any longer...and when they do push-ups and sit-ups they aren't allowed to share with anyone how many they did because they don't want kids to feel bad if they are beaten by other kids. Man the world has changed a lot in my 36 years!

I used to dominate the shuttle run and then suck it up in the mile!!!

My legs are sore today so it must have been a good training session! Every one of my new trainees did at least one personal record last night in one or more lifts. To see " regular guy" in a t shirt bench 300, a 170 lb soccer player squat a perfect high bar 365 for 2 , a twig of a welder going from 70 to 135 in the bench, and Clark that a year ago lingered near death from an auto accident that took much from him including an eye bench 245. I I am very proud to see those that build our equipment live the life as well!

As a young man in the Elizabeth NJ YMCA I was surrounded by strength. Dave ( just called him Big Dave) Draper, writer ,power rack wizard Anthony Ditillo and everyone else paid respect to the "boss" of the gym an Hungarian superman coach Dezso Banlaki. He was honored by all for his work ethic , expertise, and as a role model. He coached me all through my high school years and remained steadfast supporting me with regular letters of encouragement during college. He was the phantom named on the great web site"The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban" I don't know if anyone ever knew what that meant.( the only time we ever saw him dressed up was at my surprise birthday party wearing tan slacks that were stretched covering his massive quads built from years of front squatting) someone snapped a picture of him and so the legend was created. By chance I was reunited with him at the York powerlifting Nationals . I was with big Donnie Thompson helping where I could to get his 2905 power total. I noticed all weekend a dignified man with a thick mustache sitting first seat, first row all weekend. Just by his presence I knew he was " someone" in the world of strength. Little did I know it was my long lost mentor of 45 years past! Dezi had a stroke previously and when we met again he slowly remembered me and both shed a tear. I was given the blessing to have the opportunity to truly thank him for all he did for me. He was a great man giving of himself and creating a desire and respect for strength that I hope to continue on to my son and his son. Thank you Dezi! He passed into Gods hands on October 24.

Terrible weather last night but the pack of Iron showed up. Their lifts are really going up. We as a group towards the end of the workout pass the #2 around from man to man in a chain TNS it both right and left. Either the grippers are getting weaker or we are improving. My hands require more recovery and rehab but when I don't kill them a strong workout follows. TNS the 2.5 and holding as an Iso shut for 10 second sets for me. The positioning of the gripper is so important for success.i will never forget watching Paul Knights instructional video several years back and realizing closing a gripper is a good bit of applied technique.

I was treated to see the first customized Pops gripper completed with solid 3/4" handles. It has the same overall outside measurement on pre load width and allows handles to completely come together. Just trying to meet our customers needs. We will see how this works ! The thicker handles used with a side choke pinch ( hands parallel using finger tips placed on each side of handle sitting at end of the unit not facing it sideways))is MY personal favorite though.

Terrible weather last night but the pack of Iron showed up. Their lifts are really going up. We as a group towards the end of the workout pass the #2 around from man to man in a chain TNS it both right and left. Either the grippers are getting weaker or we are improving. My hands require more recovery and rehab but when I don't kill them a strong workout follows. TNS the 2.5 and holding as an Iso shut for 10 second sets for me. The positioning of the gripper is so important for success.i will never forget watching Paul Knights instructional video several years back and realizing closing a gripper is a good bit of applied technique.

I was treated to see the first customized Pops gripper completed with solid 3/4" handles. It has the same overall outside measurement on pre load width and allows handles to completely come together. Just trying to meet our customers needs. We will see how this works ! The thicker handles used with a side choke pinch ( hands parallel using finger tips placed on each side of handle sitting at end of the unit not facing it sideways))is MY personal favorite though.

I've enjoyed the articles on the 'Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban' website and always wondered who it referred to, thanks for sharing that story.

I seem to have what Ifirst thought was a deep bruise on my fingertip now it seems to be infected. I say this after hearing the sad news of Strongman Mike Jenkins passing suddenly of from what I gather was an infection picked up while traveling in China. I know you guys beat the heck out of your hands with continual abrasions and bruises. In this day and time lets stay mindful a small cut cn turn into a septic nightmare! Train , but be careful training 'till you bleed!

The infection got pretty interesting. The good doctor lanced the thing and anti biotics seem to be helping. Looked like a split open overlooked hotdog by Saturday. Well , tonight the crew with the Honey Badger having a freshly broken/ dislocated finger and me with a rotten fingertip.. Grip training and lifting will be a joy to behold( no pun there). Wash the hands and pass the splints!