From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

An amazing afternoon! Still Big Donnie Thompson( first 3000lb. Power total) came by to visit and bring by two special gifts. One to add to the history of strength was a dumbbell and ancient barbell collar that was on the desk of Bob Hoffman the man who started York Barbell and put weightlifting on the world map. The second gift was Donnie's time ,caring and interest. We spent the afternoon relaxed and talking of almost everything but powerlifting and training. We spoke of our gifts ,our plans to give back, our families, roles as a mentor and a father.....It was a wonderful time. As stated by the last two posts by our grip members which truly are so important and as we grow and life comes into sharper focus we are given the gift of wisdom. I truly could not have been happier seeing this happen.

• Like 2

Richard

First of all, best of luck and wishes for continued progress. At some point it would be interesting to see the “what you did” training log end of this project – along with any conclusions you may reach of what really helped this and what worked that – or what didn’t etc. I’m going through an injury myself (MRI Monday) and take inspiration from your journey towards recovery and the positive attitude you keep. Being old may not always be smooth and easy but it does beat the alternative. Life is so much more than the feats we do and the things we lift that seem so important at the time.

My wife and I are temporarily parents again. My wife’s niece’s husband has been told he has a very aggressive lymphoma at 39 years old and is in an accelerated treatment program at Johns Hopkins so we now have a 9, 5, and 3 year old in our house for a while (active little rascals :). We are thankful to be retired and in a position to be able to help out – it’s rather overwhelming for him and his wife right now. Being told at 39 that you are full of cancer brings home how fortunate I am with my little health problems and how blessed we all are having the health we have enjoyed for so long. I have long said that at my age I no doubt have one more big injury in me – but do I have another big recovery? Looks like we two old farts are going to find out I guess – lots of changes already and more to come for us as we and father time continue our battles.

My dad turns 79 this year. The time flies by. I remember when my wife was pregnant with my twin-sons. She had just been pregnant and we lost it so I was super scared. At any rate, she had some issues with the twins and I remember thinking, just let these babies be healthy. I will give up anything in the world, I will trade my own life, just let them be healthy. 3 years later they are crazy twin boys full of life. I consider fatherhood the greatest achievement of my 35 years on this planet!

I can also remember many nights falling asleep with my hand on Delraine's stomach, hoping and praying the same thing, Rick.

Yesterday was a highlight in my career.Summerstrong 6 hosted 500+ people in a two part all day celebration of strength. The speakers , events ,roundtable disscussions and efforts were heaven to those of strength. Our grip brothers were such a supportive and special part in the day. We did grip at the event and at the after party where everyone let their hair down. Faces all day flashed in my mind of Andrew, Tex , James and his grip crew, Odin, Big Rich, Adrian, Ms. D, House, Joe, and it seemed every person just went onto a grip fury of fun and exploration. Andrew treated us to some huge one arm deadlifts( doesn't care to add up the huge weights he lifts) and spawned dozens to jump in. The Inch Dumbbell replicas and the Blobs were warn almost smooth from use. I can't even start to thank everyone for their fellowship and friendship that made this a cherished day in my life.

• Like 2

I was just putting our training gym back in shape savoring every chalk dimple in the floor where the Inch replicas were attempted or lifted. A near one hand snatch of a Inch 138 by Andrew will be in my memory for a long time. Gripper interest and input was high and it was good looking close at those 22 year old Silvercrush beasts. All eyebrows raised when a new#3 carried in by guests was side by side felt and compared to the Silver crush of the very early 90s. I added one special new gripper to the collection .......a gift from Joe Musselwhite of the first Warren Tetting " Gapper Gripper" . It is an amazing piece being the first one made is stamped as such and has 1/2" diameter handles encircling the beefy black spring. I see now how the first production efforts of grippers with "over crush "were addressed. Oddly ,it feels good to me , later developments moved the handle diameter to 5/8". It was the first time I have ever met Joe ,a sincere ,great spirited guy that knows and loves grip along with anything that creates it. 22 years was way too long to wait. Inspired by seeing all the iron moved at the "after party "will make training fun today. Body weight continues to drop slowly giving me opportunity to test different leverage position changes.

• Like 4

I have traveled to University of Texas to revisit the Stark Center. Dr. Terry Todd has put together with many collectors gifts the largest archive of strength and fitness book, periodicals and artifacts of anywhere. I plan to learn what I can to add to my knowledge in grip an the world of Iron History. The display is tremendous and a wonderful place to learn. 27000 square feet of strength heaven!

• Like 1

I have traveled to University of Texas to revisit the Stark Center. Dr. Terry Todd has put together with many collectors gifts the largest archive of strength and fitness book, periodicals and artifacts of anywhere. I plan to learn what I can to add to my knowledge in grip an the world of Iron History. The display is tremendous and a wonderful place to learn. 27000 square feet of strength heaven!

Having a lot of family in Austin, I finally made the long overdo trip to the museum only a couple of weeks ago. I had high expectations for what had been assembled, and not only was I not disappointed, I was overwhelmed. It's truly a magnificent museum of iron game history. If anyone is anywhere remotely near central Texas they owe it to themselves to brave the infamous Austin traffic to see all the dumbbells, barbells, bent steel, grippers, kettlebells, photos, and vintage posters of the last 100 plus years. If there was one disappointment during my much too brief two hour visit (had family with me), it was not being allowed to hoist, twist, and grip everything I saw.

I returned from a long ,very hot flight to Austin Texas for a second visit to the Stark center library and museum for a world of inspiration and welcome. The exhibits at this University of Texas facility are the finest in the world and everything you ever want to study on strength and the history of it is there. I learned so much how to apply and understand how my roots to strength grew. The rare ,first volumes of Iron Man Magazine stressed all the things that have been flowing through my mind as of late. Balance, diet, general wellness, and my favorite subject grip were addressed in the first dozen passionate pages of a publication that lasted a half century.

Restored ,I can continue to forge ahead on rebuilding. It is important to for me embrace where I came from. The people of strength Jan and Terry Todd were so helpful in sharing their life's work and making it a wonderful experience for me.. The 27000 sq. foot center and the endless archives serve as a rare dedication of preserving our rich past for the future generations to learn from and enjoy. If one life is changed for the better it was all worth it.

In 50 minutes training resumes!

• Like 1

Although the plan of " no lifting the day after flying" was set aside I had a good training session. In particular I wanted to get a benchmark as to where I am in grip endurance, hand mobility and general strength. I took the IM grippers and using a very shallow place into my hand set ,plenty of chalk , and a table no set I went for three back to back sets with the 1,1.5 , and 2. My absolute best 11 weeks ago was a trainer and a partial single rep with the 1. This was" all out as best "I could go. Last night first set 15 consecutive reps each hand with the 1 TNS, 6reps each hand with the 1.5 TNS, and two reps with each hand with the 2 TNS. A final squeeze on a resident 3 was a slightly moving( literally) experience. I was encouraged by the hand dexterity gained and the general rep increase endurance. After my mini test the Pops gripper for 5 sets of 10 fingertip closes with 10lb. Increases and 4 red mini bands anchored to the unit. My plan now is to work more intensity in with more single and double closes with the 2 and 2.5. Weight training has changed from a each workout being total body involvement to a upper body / lower body daily split. Cardio, breathing,stretching still high on my list.

Keep it up old man - keep it up. Its inspiring to the rest of us geezers to watch the human spirit in action!

I need some of your spirit! Inspired by your thought I just walked back into the gym and closed a 2 for 4 TNS, and finally the 2.5. Thanks for YOUR encouragement. A fellow lifter age 67 added "you can't get better without trying" He just benched 260 in a T shirt!

• Like 1

You know still being on the mend I have to focus in a different way. I was so excited to see the archives I didn't get to immediately think of where my grip really caught fire. As we took a long ride through the beautiful Texas Hill country I kept looking at Dr. Terry Todd's meat hook like hands. They were still thick and with amazing long first length from knuckle to first finger joint. He was known for his great hand strength and his super gripper accompanied him to meetings of the famous strong men of the day. As a young man of 14 I first read his Mighty Mitts article which really changed my life. I knew I had a gift of grip strength but from that article I knew there was merit to grip and some quality performances finally to compare to. I kept those two magazine articles with me through all my life and travels for the past 48 years. They have guided and inspired me. I hope Terry knows what an important part in my life he has played. I shall always be thankful.

What are you doing for hand dexterity? Have you been using the dexterity balls? We now keep a set on our desk and use them as part of our warm-up and on off days.

The table no set repetitive closes and the finger tip Pops gripper work give me some full range dynamic work. Stretching and Armaid are always used during the day and worked in. As of late I have been doing as much with my hands during the day for dexterity. I kind of go out of my way to do old school screwdriver and wrench type movements to build up mobility and rotational torque fitness. My two strongest fingers that had allowed me to do some personal best grip feats were reduced to not being able to even sign my name in a comfortable manner. The fine muscle work is still very slow to come back. It is a creative, tough ,situation when your best weapon in the arsenal is broken. The steel balls might well be the answer to helping this area. I shall try them.

My Collins testing unit continues to improve with a test mark today of 158 as opposed to 11 weeks ago 78. I feel my power has come back along with some endurance the fine motor and stability issues are still giving me problems to overcome.

• Like 2

If you take a heavy rubber band and not just open your fingers against it but roll the band over the fingers as they raise and lower it is a very similar therapeutic movement to the dexterity ball. I feel for all the one way movement we do it should be balanced with opening movements and lateral between finger closing and opening movements.

• Like 1

Coming off rest weekend. Checked on the Collins Dyno. Two trials 180, 171. Things are moving better. The lower reps on the torsion grippers will be started tonight. Probably going back to my original standby of one set warmup of uncounted reps and then 7 singles with if possible a short iso hold on the end of each successful close. It worked 22 years ago it should work now. I think I will do the grippers first in order then plate pinch and Pops finger tip work second . Then I can get volume in without undue fatigue present on high energy expenditures. My weight is down but comfortable and early morning walks with after workout cardio are keeping the body stretched out and charged with oxygen.

• Like 1

All went well with the weights a steady micro rise each day in sets , intensity ,or volume. Each day I have to access where I am so the training fits. I steamed into the gripper work but I was kind of flat. I did my rep one set warmup but the singles were not very dynamic. Also ,the hard squeeze repeatibility was not really there yet. A few wide set singles with the 2.5 went but not all the way to 7. I guess the important thing is isolating each single into an all out focused, repeatable form.

Adrian Wilson was in the gym before me clicking away on an impressive lineup of grippers. The 2.5 was all over the map but the strength was there. Ms D is returning to train grip following a trip North. She was lucky enough to train at the Giant Killers place and Andrew was as usual helpful bringing out the best in anyone's training and performance.

Although an extra sobering step ,the use of the credit card needs to be in their training as a mainstay.

Working the stability muscles in the shoulder blade and rotator cuff group seem to be the single most important and least responsive muscle group I am contending with. My grip seems directly related to the overall condition of this area.

I had a really good training session last night. All weights went up and repeatable sets were done. The stability of the right arm is being addressed by doing 1 arm dumbbell rows and a standing lever row I rigged up on our Basecamp power rack that has holes to mount moving arms with various attachments. I used two simple pins . One pin was used to hold the weight and one to grasp right or left handed. The smooth upward arc hits the small damaged muscles in the shoulder blade area very well. This is the first day I feel my body is really starting to respond along with natural healing. Two days on after weekend rest , one day off with cardio, two days on with moderate weights is the plan. Upper body two days total, lower body two days total, cardio on mid day ,and upper body day. Grip 2 days heavy done on back /arm /leg day. Usually work sets in any given muscle group add up to the "magic" number of 24. Accessory lifts in the same muscle group are in a inverse rep scheme manner with the reps an inverse of the work sets. IE: low reps in bench add up to 24 total and dumbbell presses following are higher reps also adding up to 24. Rest, massage, natural diet, cardio, stretching, deep breathing,and a tranquil mind all serve to insure results.

Rest, massage, natural diet, cardio, stretching, deep breathing,and a tranquil mind all serve to insure results.

I agree 100%. I am a relatively young guy, but I see many folks out there (through the internet of course) lifting and getting really strong, but who apparently pay no attention to any of the stuff I just quoted. These guys are tough and even train through injuries at times.. but eventually the body just can't take the beating and things go downhill fast. I think taking good care of diet, and working out the stuff most men don't like (prehab exercises, stretching and the like) are key if one still wants to be working out at advanced ages. Everyone likes lifting the heavy stuff and doing the maximal efforts and getting big and strong (and fat?).. but devoting time to that other stuff may allow us to do what we like for a longer time, perhaps? I am a couple of months from turning 30, so I'll report back in 40 years. lol. :D

It was the usual afternoon rainstorm so I was the only one training. Kind of an eye opener when if something goes wrong you are in a spot. I took a bit longer to set up spotters levels for squat ,unlock door, and have my phone at ready. Strange things happen and safety is important to be able to lift again another day. All went well and again the reps weights and sets were pushed up a bit. Grip was on last night and I stuck to my plan of warmup and 7 singles with the 2.5. I was a bit tired from the back and arm work but made the 7 trials. 1 was closed and the rest went down to 1/4to 3/8 ". The set was either TNS or a very light placement into the hand. I want to continue to train the motor pathway of a big sweep. After the last I was tired so put in my squats and then went back to 5 sets of 10 fingertip Pops Gripper. Dyno earlier that day was 170 in each hand. I was pleased with the balance. As much as I try the stability issue in my shoulder and arm from the rotatator cuff and nerve problems slows me down but....onward!

A born in zeal has me overtrained and hurting. Too much too soon will get you as quickly as doing nothing. Everyone says relax, don 't overdue ,and it is going to take so long to "heal" . I bow up when that is usually said and think " they don't know me...more is better! Maybe not true. As long as gain is associated with well being I can buy in. Pushing the adrenals along with the body trying to work overtime to repair comes with a bill. I never have looked much to what a person my age "does ."It has always been pushing along side of top level guys in their prime. I have to re think and ask a bit more to gain the proper thermostat setting so I can proceed in a more healthy manner.

I am going to head back to the gym with a better ,more level attitude. The grip mobility is increasing and not going at it to kill myself each time will help fill the extended recovery process. It might be in the air or others are becoming keyed on old school sensible training and being more health minded. People I certainly look up to Jedd, Brooks Kubik, and Bill Hinbern have been putting out some real helpful stuff for me and others to get on a well established better track. I thank them for that .I have been awakened and embraced by their contributions. I guess the Dyno squeeze today is in order and grip work. I am exited as well to see how our gal grip crew is addressing the climb to the 2.5 mountain top.

Dyno still at 170. The old unit continues to give good results as long as one can figure out how to keep that blasted sharp needle from from ripping past your palm.

Something have been thinking about a long time. I thought it was a good thing for many reasons to re certify on the #3. A couple are talking about it as well. I wonder if there is a grip life span, or how guys train years after they peak and hit the three and don't go farther? With all the new plans , equipment,popularity of grip, would it not seem for the numbers of " old guys" to still be improving? I was 41 when I first certed and 57 the second time. Where are the rest of those hundreds on that list just how many could meet muster again? What is the average age of the men on the list? 25,30,35?????? Just wondering.

Dyno still at 170. The old unit continues to give good results as long as one can figure out how to keep that blasted sharp needle from from ripping past your palm.

Something have been thinking about a long time. I thought it was a good thing for many reasons to re certify on the #3. A couple are talking about it as well. I wonder if there is a grip life span, or how guys train years after they peak and hit the three and don't go farther? With all the new plans , equipment,popularity of grip, would it not seem for the numbers of " old guys" to still be improving? I was 41 when I first certed and 57 the second time. Where are the rest of those hundreds on that list just how many could meet muster again? What is the average age of the men on the list? 25,30,35?????? Just wondering.

I will speak for myself here Richard. When IM changed the rule I thought it was bunk. It basically took the hard work and dedication of so many and turned it into nothing as we all know there is a huge difference in the 2 certs. They are night and day. But, hey, IM can do what it wants. I also felt bad for guys with small hands as they are basically no-setting the gripper which isn't a level playing field.

Combine that with what IM stands for, which from my perspective is not much, and IMs treatment of people, and I came to an easy decision to not spend another dime on a single IM product. I don't train grip much if at all anymore. Too much else going on in my life. Any grip training I do decide to do will include setting a gripper because that is how contests are set up.

I wont bother to cert because I want nothing to do with IM.