From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Richard,

I'd love to see a picture, diagram, anything of the lower back stretches you do to avoid tightness. My lower back never hurts, but is always tight. Could you reference please?

Anything on Youtube about Dick Hartsell or Donnie Thompsn on stretch bands should help. We are right in the middle of Summerstrong 7 so "I will get you information as soon as I can. Donnie is a speaker on lifting rehab Sunday. I do my low back inverted with a heavy band secured to a pull-up bar. The hip and hamstring stretches are lying on my back between two post about 10' feet apart. A heavy band to anchor top of my thigh from one direction and a light(er) band on the other post to anchor to my foot. Creates a two way stretch on hamstring and hips as you raise your foot upward and side to side. Feels great! Start slow!

• Like 1

Thanks Richard, I'm gonna check them out now on Youtube. The standard stretches I've outgrown...they don't offer any "resistance" anymore for me.

The first day of Summerstrong 7 just went off the charts. Fantastic speakers world, Olympic ,state ,muti sport coach champions . Former Seal Team operator, about half a dozen 1000 squatters, and loyal lifetime friends. Cutting edge vendors showing their newest additions to the world of strength an to top it off an awards banquet for the first SC.Powerlifting hall of Fame hosted by Donnie Thompson the first human to total 3000, I was in awe of being honored in the company of former world record holder Spud Bartley and 10 times world Champion Dan Austin. Treasured plaques and amazing gold rings were part of the celebration of strength continued. Terry and Jan Todd were present and along with wrestling evil man the breeze and Dr. Todd I was deeply well done...roasted and honored. What a starting day for an epoch three day event. As our long time friend in grip National championship referee Ben Oldham said this is once in a lifetime score for strength. Today will be full day a of learning, contests, great food and perhaps some heavy gripping and lifting.

The Summerstrong7 went down as a high point in my life seeing brilliant strength educators all blend together to instill their very best educational and "in the trenches experience "with the crowd. The depth of quality as I said before with the top modern NFL strength coach of the year Joe Kenn working shoulder to shoulder with to to teach and learn. Having straight up heartfelt words of what winning is from Adam Nelson Olympic gold and silver medal winner. Champion level referees explaining how you make the" tough decisions on the field of life" the competition was a Crossfittype challenge for all weights and sizes of men and women testing their explosive, grip general strength and stamina to the max. Injury prevention and simple ways to lift move and recover to become a better athlete by America's best coaches. So simple but so enlightening to finally know how to put it all together.

Dr. Terry and Jan Todd were there as speakers and to lend their vast knowledge of Iron history and be amazed by the living legend of evil my friend and supporter of strength the Breeze. At the VIP party after12 hours of straight lifting and learning the gym at Sorinex was opened and the place was packed with old and new friends of strength. My grip brothers James Retardes and Bob Sundin were there along with Jon Von Plinsky wading through grip feats to the amazement of others. Great Food, a bit of drink and a good time was had for three straight days. The people we work with to help supply the best floor, bars, weights pulling blocks, military self contained training centers and even Leo the wonder dog spreading his cheer. Seal team six operator said he had the time of his life "just blending in." A short demonstration of "proper water boarding" rendered our toughest team member ready to tell anything. The mindset dealing with stress living without sleep and doing your job was a subject that was rammed home as " the few that "do it for the rest of us "to be safe. I had a highlight of my lifting life being inducted into the SC Hall of fame by my peers that have been my heros for my lifting life. Spud Bartley, and Dan ( 9 time world champ) Austin were there and recieved their long overdue thanks. Donnie Thompson always giving brought us all together , taught entertained,and supported us. I had in my mind that this log I have maintained was a statement of coming back from the ashes of near death and physical damage to "go at it "again. I wasn't sure after 49 years and all the highs and lows in life would I be recovered enough to once again "man up "and deadlift raw 500 as I have done each year since I was 15. In a short time on Saturday a few of the lifters Ms D included had an impromptu deadlift contest. Lifting with Brandon Lilly was a distinct honor as both Baby D and I successfully pulled 500. Other than stretching my work out will be minimal this week as I feel my innards have been rendered by trying to be a young lifter again. My deepest thanks to our staff the greats of strength and coaching and those who truly care to make bodies and minds stronger. I was contacted by Wannagrip as my turn in the well next week and I look forward to answering to the best of my ability my experiences in half a century of grip.. As the old saying " don't ask unless you really want to know" will be how I will reply to any questions. Thanks to all for your support and another great year of strength, Pops

Edited by 1stCoC
  • Like 3

Nice write up, wish i was there! Any video of it out there?

can't wait for this grip well session!

We have a chart in our gym of "the look" chart made of photos of faces or famous and not so famous people that portray what the look of commitment and intensity is. From little Debbie of snack cake fame to the turn the switch ,mad dog follow through of one of Adams throws comprise our rankings 1-10. I could always tell by the look in one's eye where they would wind up on the scale.

Adam has our equipment at his private training facility and his business as well. He just wanted to see what we were all about in our life , and passion for what we do not just sell metal gadgets.He took the time the next day before heading home to present in my hand the feel of all athletics summed up ......the Olympic gold. It felt like it had a life within it. He placed it around my neck as a kind memory I shall never forget. He said "instead of an athletic 6' tall 280 lb shot putter he "was convinced "when he walked into the circle to throw he was 6'5" 340lb. monster that had gained the right to pay the price and win". As he also said "that mindset like flooring a a race car ....has to be done when needed, maintained ,and readied for another future race or it will self destruct".

Looking forward to your session in the Grip well, I know I'll have my questions ready, Richard. Also, a super congratulations to you on pulling 500. You are proving that age is merely a number. Keep on truckin'

By the way, I am still motivated by your signed #3 hanging on my wall. The spread on that sucker is around 3.25 inches...I can tell that it is a very, very hard 3.

Edited by Anthony C.

I look forward to candid ,hopefully helpful answers to my training , mind set, what I did or didn't do during my 50 years involved in grip,with straight forward ,untwisted ,factual answers. If any subject is to be censored by the board or moderators I as well as the members need to be clearly told as why this will or will not be done. If you want to know......just ask. Thanks, Richard

• Like 1

Richard, I know you starting training your grip as a kid. I think you were a teen by the time Warren Tetting's Iron Man grippers came out.

You starting working with hand strength decades before IronMind existed, and perhaps before Tetting was selling grippers in Iron Man Magazine.

What is the story as to how you got started, and what were you doing? I am most interested in your early years, how, why, what. You may have told this before, but I only remember that it predated high school for you, which is pretty mind boggling. It is an obscure activity now, and would have been nonexistent back then.

My interest in strength started very young. My favorite possession was a Billard Jr. Champmaker barbell set that I took to "show and tell" at age 5. I still remember carrying that loaded set a few seps at a time and setting it down crossing the school yard. I lifted at a friends house on his brothers weights for a quarter a week then with any allowance money I would with the help of my dad buy Bur, Healthways,York ,and Jackson weights. I hand built all my equipment as a young lad and the Korean War was not long over so I would turn surplus into usable grip and weight equipment. I have searched for an early picture of doing a one arm seated assisted curl with an ultra thick(3-31/2") OD green section thick bar handle cut from an aluminum antenna mast. My grip fueled by having only enough room to do endless deadlifts according to a loving mother " was dangerous" I would play ,tussle ,or even arm wrestle and my grip that "I knew I had "but never paid it much attention would do some interesting things. In an early school kids arm wrestling match I tried hard and the match ended with blood shooting out from my under my competitors finger nails. I started walking across town picking up Iron man and Strength and Health magazines. I had deadlifted 400 and pinch deadlifted a pair of York 35 s right before my 13 th birthday . In 1965 the Terry Todd article on "Mighty Mitts "came out I totally embraced it. I tried all I could that related to grip in the article, tested my hands in any way possible ,pinching stone blocks, hanging one handed from a vertical hardwood ladder rung while holding a100 lbs in the other hand. In general I found joy in using a gift I had. In the early 80s I did nothing but thick axle deadlifts and found and ordered several of Tettings super heavy duty grippers that I would close and then give away to friends. Tetting ,a nice man called one day and asked my secretary " he does with all those grippers " she told him and instantly Tettings keen mind said no one can close that gripper" my secretary said "well he sure does" Warren politely said to me that perhaps I was wrong and it was a super duty not the super heavy duty I was closing. In order to quell the argument I asked him "how can I prove this to you.?"He promptly made one up painted it a gaudy red and requested a picture of me closing it. The close was done the picture sent and I still have the gripper and I think Warrens respect. A bit later Warren and Dr. Strossen linked up and produced the first, upgraded chromed solid steel silver crush grippers. They were harder than the original Tettings with some spring and handle improvements. After some practice I had some great success one handed , two fingered ,and lucky to receive a gift joke what I referred to as first a 4 then the phantom 4 since the product IM. came out calling a 4 followed several years later on their official product line after severing production ties with Tetting. My active life in grip was probably from age 10 to this present day on my 64th birthday. Things like the Blob were items that challenge my grip and were added to my regimen. I was lucky enough to change my workouts and avoid catastrophic wear or over use injuries and was thrilled to span a 17 year period to become for a time the first, last and oldest closer of the #3 gripper that perhaps is the world standard gauge of grip strength. I wish my hands were a bit larger ( I would compete in the small hands class if by measure) but you work with what you are given. I find little in the world of strength or strength equipment is unique is unique so I do embrace and respect what I saw ,learned ,and was inspired by from the great designers and grip men like David Horne, Bruce White, Warren Tetting, Randy Strossen, Terry Todd, John Brookfield, Goerner , Apollon and the man who pushed the modern grip envelope Joe Kinney. I had a gift, I actively pursued it, had the ability to design , build objects of strength ,and by early profession as a teacher have a desire to pass what I perceived as good thing on to others.

Edited by 1stCoC
  • Like 5

Happy belated birthday, Richard. Hope it was a great day that you'll remember for time to come.

Thanks for sharing your story with us, and I wish you strength and happiness.

Yori

Thanks for the response Richard. I had forgotten all about that interview with you in David Horne's Iron Grip Magazine from 12 years ago, and some of what you said was covered in it. That was why some of it sounded familiar to me. Anyone can Google "Richard Sorin David Horne" and it will take you right there.

Liked the "show and tell" story at Age 5.

It felt good stepping back up to the plate,bench doubles, standing band( banjo) after a few days of water, stretching, high protein food and rest. My upper body is getting stronger from a bit more rest and my band stretching helping my hips to stabilize better during standing lifts . Bench press sets of 2 (5 work sets) banjo band standing press, and 5x5 deep squats really felt good. Took about a half hour doing my Thompson protocol band stretching hips , hamstrings and lower back It helps so much ,and actually my concrete like flexibility is vastly improving. I even sleep better after workout.

Gals were at it last night world and national highland champs baby D and Adrianne Wilson were going through their paces. D was push pressing the 100lb baby circus bell for uncounted reps. On our lightweight squat stand we were figuring out with the 45 lb. bar with Hundo ( benched 345x2 last night at 208 ) and Johnny Ruthless might hang over the bar ends and serve as some live weight for her to squat. She has been training at the Compound as well and said they are running every bar used in squats" through the wringer" to develop the ultimate leg squat program for half ton plus squatters.

Will do triplex pulls, deadlifts , one arm rows and curls tonight. A bit of alternate carry plate ( pair35) pinch as well.

• Like 1

Nice night for lifting ,World Cup guys didn't make it and some listened via radio. The rest and stretching showed in each exercise allowing me a more comfortable range of motion and core stability. Pulls were high and clean, deadlifts 7 ascending sets of two with last set 4 reps. Curls all done with bar and deep dish 45 lb Yorks. 25 total reps in what ever way set or rep wise you can reach that number 25 total. Heavy machine iso curls sets of 5 90-100lb. Then followed by long 20-30 minutes of Thompson protocol stretching . Gosh knows ,that helps. My back and hips are feeling young again. Plenty of water ,hydrate!!!! on hands it makes the fingerprints like a sponge ....dried it holds nothing ,hydrated it absolute absorbs and holds almost anything....think grip applications! Plates 35 pound pair pinch alternate "walk about" carry around room.

Getting ready for 4th of July going to get outdoors fresh air sunshine,water, snakes ,swamps ,and ........freedom!

Cooking 40 lbs. of special chicken thigh BBQ. For the crew. A more dedicated hard working group I never have seen.

Putting in a new strength training facility today as well for the NFL Patriots.

A safe weekend of rest recovery and fun for all. Be safe. Remember those three words that might save you " don't do it" if it seems stupid ,it probably is.

Well, it was a full interesting weekend. Two days in sun weakened me quite a bit .....just not used to it. Spent a day on the lake with friends of strength. More horsepower in boat than in engine I think.

Hit the swamps tending to deer lease land on Sunday and at least a little breeze helped. Went down a new trail and of course became stuck on four wheeler straddling a new fallen tree. About a mile from nowhere decided to use machete to cut log in three pieces then perhaps move it. All goes great until auto opening knife on cord around my neck oddly flicks open as I swipe down with machete . Lucky I wasn't gutted ! Only a nasty slash to finger. Well, got bleeding slowed enough to finish cutting and the green monster pulled itself out and back to camp I went. Glad hands held up and some long time woods training got me out. One scar added ( like a tattoo with a good story) and a needed training break. Back to lifting and grip work tomorrow. Going by to visit big Donnie T this week to gather more training gems and stretch protocol.

I saw on Facebook a recent 5 set workout of 35 degree inclines done raw in a T shirt, with pauses ,or even longer pauses with talking while holding load at his chest of Big Rich. He has yet to put up last two of 5 work sets that was probably "just part "of the whole workout but saw an amazing 410x9, 450x5, and 470 x3 handled as if it were a toy.

I wish both he and Mr. Burke could by their choice push the overall grip boundaries a bit farther, I see so much talent in those two. Rich has trimmed down by careful diet application to about 383.

I feel better today hydrated , and refreshed .

Not enough hydration I guess ...We were doing sets of 4 in the deadlift after triplex pulls and going at a pretty quick pace. At the 4th set at 375 I felt a sharp sting in my left tricep. I thought that was kind of odd for triceps being stressed during deadlifts. Second try a no go either." Limped" through curls and then used our recovery wheels and stretched quite a bit.

About time to leave ,a large black gentleman walked in inquiring if he could train with us being a former power lifter that had moved back to Columbia. Always friendly ,Adrian Wilson introduced me to him saying "watch his handshake". I extended my hand into the mild mannered gents hand and it felt like a bear trap! Just a strong ,all enclosing ,natural grip. I liked his spirit and friendly attitude so perhaps he will return and try some training with us. Strength is to be shared and enjoyed

I did enjoy reading on Facebook the sage advice of Chris Rice mentioning the importance of recovery as an integral part of his workout.

Hub,

Thanks for reminding me about interview I did with David Horn in 2002. Even though about 12 years ago ,from re reading the text for the first time in about that many years what I felt , recalled ,and my insight pretty much remains the same. My involvement in grip for 50 years has brought me in contact with many men or strength and particular grip strength.

I wonder why comments are being emitted recently by a "Nice guy" gripper star are so jaded towards me. A person that an had a self proclaimed "2 year career "of serious grip involvement now surfaces in public after 16 years to those that probably simply wonder was the 15 minutes of fame accurately and factually substantiated. That proof being left up to each person to decide, I suggest instead of throwing back handed comments of poor sportsmanship they might man up and perhaps address getting re certified to quell any questions and try to help others with their amazing super grip gift.

I was " strong enough" after 17 years to go back at age 57 to meet a personal goal to physically recover from a bout with cancer and show that the strength could remain if the heart and body worked in accord. Perhaps this legend will do the same.

I would be glad at any time to set things right with any that may have questions or concerns about my or others true agenda.

• Like 3