From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

A rainstorm passed through and even though cool everyone sweated a lot. The new pupil is finally learning to squat. From a stick ( and failing) to full reps with 55lb Olympic bar getting sets of three last night a huge increase. It is not where you start , but where you end up. Everyone was unsing the DD barrel squat device even tried for a bit bands set up in a deload position. So very comfortable and after a bit of sway( great torso builder ) the squats are lower and body sits much straighter. Again Anderson knew his training!

We ended up using the Bosco bell filled tight with 90 lb. of steel rack poop and doing single rep cleans and push press. Ms. D handled the weight right and left handed as a toy. Adrianne Wilson and D smacked the #2 shut a number of times and spurred on by Johnny that is shutting the 2 every time now ,all three came close with the 2.5. We all squeezed the Baseline Dyno and registered 70-82 for the crowd. Gals are close to the old guy! Johnny did the 82kilo .The 2.5 felt pretty easy for me doing a no warmup TNS with a 20 second iso hold afterward . So ,despite ongoing arthritis in both wrists and hands strength still lingers. Beware of all those sets till you bleed ,heavy levers, and negatives with dumpster springs. Your body will pay for it in the end as well as your pride when you can't open a jar of peanut butter at 55 . Coax, rehab, and be kind to your hands.

Wise words, pops. I laughed at that dumpster spring comment :) Any suggestions for rehabbing the hands in between workouts?

Mr. Sorin, I saw you congratulating Elizabeth Horne from England on her Ironmind Hub lift, which is a female record now, and I was wondering, do the very strong ladies at your facility ever try the hub? Would be nice to know what they can do, seeing they are so strong in other areas of grip. I asked you here not to "hijack" Mrs. Horne thread. :)

Ms D is actually far more flexible and explosive in her moves than you would ever think. Dancing with the Stars or Ballet might be her true calling! Good call Climber!

I had the pleasure of watching her throw as a kid in HS - and it was a pleasure.

Chris, what are guys like you and Richard Sorin still doing on strength forums? Have bingo and Matlock re-runs lost their charm?

:grin:

I lifted weights and ate lunch with Chad today. He mentioned that y'all are still at it. Good to see.

Ms D is actually far more flexible and explosive in her moves than you would ever think. Dancing with the Stars or Ballet might be her true calling! Good call Climber!

I had the pleasure of watching her throw as a kid in HS - and it was a pleasure.

Chris, what are guys like you and Richard Sorin still doing on strength forums? Have bingo and Matlock re-runs lost their charm?

:grin:

I lifted weights and ate lunch with Chad today. He mentioned that y'all are still at it. Good to see.

Rex - where have you been? You dropped off the face of the earth for a long time now. Richard and I can't stop lifting at this point or we might realize how old and decrepit we have become. :)

I have upmost respect for Dave and Liz Horne for the long time involvement with grip. For years they have promoted ,studied ,innovated and supported grip strength and its history. I am always so pleased to see greatness in any aspect of strength and give credit where it is due.

I was asked how our girls do and I see so much talent,much of it taken for granted. If I was best or near best in the world in an activity I could excell even if it were not done "for myself" I would try to push the limits so others after me had an accurate standard by which to set their goals or access their individual merit. I try to encourage when I can but , I am not the one doing the work. Our girls stay busy in many levels of coaching and competing at multi , strength related, sports. Could they make significant marks...ummmm, yes ..all it takes is concentration, commitment, and heart.

As to the return of Rex I am delighted to hear he is still active. I still remember his strength and welcome visit. I would be interested in what this strong man has been doing the past few years. I think have T shirts as old as Mr. Natural. I just smile and think to myself what weights will be flying and what grippers will being shut "when you are 64" . Best of training!

Jokes aside, I am impressed that Richard and Chris are still doing feats of strength. All you have to do is visit a hospital to see folks their age who are struggling to even walk. And here these guys are getting upset with themselves when they don't credit card set a #3 or ring-and-pinkie a blob.

I weigh about 215 pounds now. I'm training for a 5K in May. I still lift weights three times per week and I want to start training grip again.

But enough about me. This is Richard's training log.

One last thing--thanks to Richard for the money and time he's put into the Mighty Mitts competition. Chad told me that the competitors are treated like "kings" while in Ohio and that everyone walks away with money. I'm pleased to see that the top grip athletes are getting the resources and attention they deserve.

• Like 1

It has been one full year to the day since I slipped on that slick new oak floor and life changed. I wasn't sure at times if I would make it or ever recover. Feeling good today and in so many ways renewed. Thanks to everyone for their support , interest AND understanding.

It was ladies night at the gym last night or so it seemed. A new visitor Ms, T is a well trained strength advocate. I didn't expect someone as impressive as she was. Jumping in doing doubles in the deadlift at 400 weighing a rock solid 160 was pretty impressive. She has the eye of a champion and the body to get the job done. Ms . D pulled a beautiful deadlift raw as well at 450 as if she owned it .First closer of the 2 , Olympian , and Highland games legend Adrianne Wilson was doing her thing giving back ,coaching and inspiring others. Our newest trainee chalked up her "now "calloused hands. Strange to see a banking VP. With a couple of hundred dollar nail manicure gritting out sets of 6 in the deadlift with 160. The empty bar was her first day max! No stopping her now! A 50 k squeeze on the Dyno blew all our minds! The new Ms. T has a set of strong , strong ,looking hands holding those endless rep deadlifts with ease yesterday. If interested I will see

what he might do in other grip tasks.

Word to the wise..... Build it and they will come!

• Like 1

I was excited this weekend to visit the opening of a large outdoors heaven Cabelas. I coaxed old Dave a good lifting partner over the years that has been fighting cancer for 9 years now. They gave him only a 5% chance of survival in the first year and with working out and an attitude of a bull he somehow makes it. It was a joy to spend some time in the outsideworld and count my blessings.

I might have a special gift of radar or a bit ot of detective in me but a truly interesting thing happened. I rounded Dave up after he checked out everything in the place and I was at the counter paying for some gadgets for another adventure when I noticed a gentleman with two children get in line behind me. In a quick look they definitely seemed related but there was something just a bit different. He appeared to be a working trades type man , sturdy built with no wedding ring on , a fresh splint cast on his arm and two "mommy dressed" squeaky clean children with him. They were all very nice to each other but seemed uncomfortable on how to relate to each other. Perhaps a visitation day for a separated family? He was being as thoughtful as possible and the kids but they struggled to be comfortable. The little girl was clutching a stuffed toy dog like she truly loved it and the boy stood with " something" that he just seemed to be holding as a token of the Sunday trip. The man seemed nervous and when the little girl presented her new pet dog to me we quickly figured a name for it. To lighten the situation I winked at the cashier to put the pet on my bill and let life go on. The cashier smiled big ,I handed the little girl her new pet and I thought the dad was going to fall over. He said "that's the first good thing that happened to him in a long time". He seemed so relieved. I said " no it's not, look at those kids of yours". I grabbed my stuff and hit the road.

• Like 7

That's beautiful, Richard.

I will always wonder the "real story "of that man and children. Maybe I was totally wrong and he was a friend or uncle. Perhaps the broken arm was from doing a fun activity instead of punching a wall in stressed anger over his family plight. The little girl seemed like she craved so much love but it was not put in a form perhaps she could readily see. I left happier seeing them enjoy the day a bit more together than having all that stuff in the store. Family , blood and people that have always stood by us are priceless, I hope for a moment or two each day we clearly remember and treasure that.

• Like 1

Great night training last night every one of the pack pushed a pr bench press. Hundo did 350 raw about at 190. Johnny that started out on a 65 lb bench has gained 30 lbs of muscle ,. and easily pushed 240. Ms S trained by Adrianne Wilson ripped up three heavy sets of deadlifts 4 reps with 180! She could barely lift the bar when she started. We all tried the new bosco squat bar and it feels better than any one I have tried . Lots of improvements . Big Donnie Thompson saw it and although having a seminar in Long Island today said "he MUST get one". We did a demo for him with the bar holding the world record squat, chains attached and bands ready to hook up. The ends of the bar don't curve up so the danger is lessened along with comfort using bands. The bar lies on your shoulders with almost no effort. Johnny is building a vice like grip and both he and Hundo are hauling up the pinched York pair of 35s on a regular basis. We have finished the prototype upgrades for the Adam Smasher grip combat device. Different than it started, but in may ways very user friendly and still keeping the raw intensity.

A sunny day out and rested up a bit for a good week ahead.

Easter is a special day for many and and a good time to reflect. No matter our individual beliefs ,I think it is wise to believe in something if only at very minimum yourself. A positive attitude and giving thanks for even the smallest good things are good perks for the soul.

I was lying in a hospital bed split open after 12 hours of cutting , sore ,worn and alone wondering how much time I had left and what suffering it would take before I was granted to turn the page. I quit waiting and decided to do what could, enjoy what I had left of life and play the hand I had been dealt. Easy, nice, what I wanted ... but no , just move on. Today changed, but better.

I saw a tribute program about Bo Jackson yesterday. A man gifted with almost superhuman powers cut short in his career. He lived it the best he could and no matter the pain , noise ,or distraction from the roar of the crowd . All he said he ever heard" was the sound of air rushing by "as he ran to the light of an opening ahead......A great one!

A decent training night. All seemed lackluster except the gals were at it. Our new pupil in "some way "in the past month went from an empty plastic pipe squat to 90x4 in deep good squats. What a great effort and gain. The gals all did grip work mostly Blobs, 35 lb. plate pinching attempts and heavy 80-100 thick handle Circus type Bell push jerks.

I have been sore in my joints more than usual so while the muscles seem willing the fingers wrists and shoulders don't seem to heal or function well after rest as they did before. The weights move well but pain in every rep. More tape , stretching, Epsom salts and Aleeve. I am thinking about attending the big super heavyweight deadlift showdown on August 9 in Leeds England. If I did go I wonder how cordial and spread out the chance meeting would be to interact with Mr. Snook, Mr James, Mr Horne, and Ms Horne. Does anyone know there locations in England? That would be a super trip and wonderful people to meet.

Richard,

This may be the first time my eyes watered reading the gripboard. Some of the younger guys on here may not realize it, but when you have kids of your own it really softens you up for this sort of thing.

Thank you Richard for blessing that family.

I was excited this weekend to visit the opening of a large outdoors heaven Cabelas. I coaxed old Dave a good lifting partner over the years that has been fighting cancer for 9 years now. They gave him only a 5% chance of survival in the first year and with working out and an attitude of a bull he somehow makes it. It was a joy to spend some time in the outsideworld and count my blessings.
I might have a special gift of radar or a bit ot of detective in me but a truly interesting thing happened. I rounded Dave up after he checked out everything in the place and I was at the counter paying for some gadgets for another adventure when I noticed a gentleman with two children get in line behind me. In a quick look they definitely seemed related but there was something just a bit different. He appeared to be a working trades type man , sturdy built with no wedding ring on , a fresh splint cast on his arm and two "mommy dressed" squeaky clean children with him. They were all very nice to each other but seemed uncomfortable on how to relate to each other. Perhaps a visitation day for a separated family? He was being as thoughtful as possible and the kids but they struggled to be comfortable. The little girl was clutching a stuffed toy dog like she truly loved it and the boy stood with " something" that he just seemed to be holding as a token of the Sunday trip. The man seemed nervous and when the little girl presented her new pet dog to me we quickly figured a name for it. To lighten the situation I winked at the cashier to put the pet on my bill and let life go on. The cashier smiled big ,I handed the little girl her new pet and I thought the dad was going to fall over. He said "that's the first good thing that happened to him in a long time". He seemed so relieved. I said " no it's not, look at those kids of yours". I grabbed my stuff and hit the road.

Man monster Donnie Thompson spent the afternoon at the facilityand we talked life , training ,and equipment. He was the first man to total 3000 in powerlifting including a 950 bench and 1265 squat. He has dedicated his life to helping others achieve the highest level of strength possible.We went over the design applications for my new squat bar and we both were in agreement . After that ,he spotted th DD Anderson squat barrel system. He circled it like a shark knowing perhaps the other greatest squatter of all time used such a rig. He quickly pointed out the motto painted on the barrels " filled by the tears of the weak". He was into the idea of the barrels unique feeling but was at once concerned with the built in safety of the barrels bottom hitting the floor before a full dept squat. After the first rep a huge smile on his face along with an absolute rock bottom perfect squat coupled by a light floor brush and distinct RiPPP of his new shorts! Deep ....you bet ! ANOTHER DROP OF TEARS FOR THE BARREL!( sure not weak though)We laughed ,and a minute or two later Adrianne Wilson of Highland, Shot put, and grip fame walked in to figure out what all he comedy was about.

Recovering with stretching , water and rest from a heavy day of Triplex pulls, deadlifts ,heavy curls ,and hammer curl. Tonight it is war again!

Ladies night again tons of weights lifted by all but, the gals really stood out . Powerlifter Ms. T came by for a deadlift workout planned with Big Rich and Ms.D. Strong , strong people. Our new gal continues to blast set through set and gets better each day. Just amazing the progress when you really apply yourself!

I must be plagued by a new pollen in the air because breathing has been difficult. Anyway pushed through 5x5 benches( 245), heavy sets of dumbbell rows( 134x20) and squats on the new squat bar. I was short winded so I cut back on the reps and didn't count the weights just lifted by feel. A grunting last set finished me. What I though was in the low 300s was 380....a good " bad " day. Everyone was in good spirits and a near accident avoided when our safety strap system caught two missed lifts. One was a 305 bench that the lifter completely missed the hooks. I don't know if a normal spotter could have caught and curled 305. The other was a crash forward ,fall backward missed front squat that would have been sticky without some help. Glad everyone is ok.

Ladies night again tons of weights lifted by all but, the gals really stood out . Powerlifter Ms. T came by for a deadlift workout planned with Big Rich and Ms.D. Strong , strong people. Our new gal continues to blast set through set and gets better each day. Just amazing the progress when you really apply yourself!

I must be plagued by a new pollen in the air because breathing has been difficult. Anyway pushed through 5x5 benches( 245), heavy sets of dumbbell rows( 134x20) and squats on the new squat bar. I was short winded so I cut back on the reps and didn't count the weights just lifted by feel. A grunting last set finished me. What I though was in the low 300s was 380....a good " bad " day. Everyone was in good spirits and a near accident avoided when our safety strap system caught two missed lifts. One was a 305 bench that the lifter completely missed the hooks. I don't know if a normal spotter could have caught and curled 305. The other was a crash forward ,fall backward missed front squat that would have been sticky without some help. Glad everyone is ok.

"What I though was in the low 300s was 380....a good " bad " day."

People who can't add end up strong :)

On the Iron History site I was questioned to to scope ,dimensions ,and perhaps a picture of the new "old "squat bar. I commented "it took 50 years of thinking and a day to build" and I never realized how true that statement was. In 1966 I was gathering parts and pieces to make the large Cedar Street Boy's cellar gym that was other than one York Olympic set and a large (lunch money bought) Jackson #5 " Semi Olympic Set" as Jackson called it all the rest was all hand made. Our benches were wood, uprights made of street sign posts, pads were made of washing machine lint gathered and put under a towel and the power rack was of stout drilled 2x4s set about 2' feet apart( much different than normal York racks of the day. The fact it took me since 1966 to remember we did all our squatting on a donated thick bar that was bent by mistake ( dropped loaded onto a bench)in a college weight room. It served no purpose to a bunch of Olympic lifters but before getting tossed out I made some crude walnut wood( it was a hard wood) clamp type collars for the boss area and from that day on served as our only squat bar to 1969. I never saw a bar " cambered " for the squat to that time but ,form followed function and taped in the center with a thin towel as padding some fearful squatting was done. I am in the process to contacting some of the old crowd that used it and perhaps in my memory chest sealed since 1968 there may be some remaining snapshots of us using it. I learned more about equipment design in those early days armed with scraps of steel from " Poppa Joe" a construction worker that out of his love for his son let us use his basement. The more I think of those golden days of youth and how lessons learned through necessity have sustained me for life. Thanks to Jason Pate for jogging my memory!

I spent part of the afternoon looking through boxes of old photos . Yep cambered bar pics even with me squatting on in 1966 ,, thick bar 3" handle curls when I was in 8th grade, heavy 340 lb lockouts on a primitive "behind the fence in the woods" rack of sorts when I was 12. Cleans wit 355 as a teen, incline press with 411 at 36 ...all things of my younger days that started the juices flowing.

The workout last night was different , I never have been one to take supplements or adhere to strict diets. In desperation to help stem some of the pronounced swelling in my finger wrist, foot and shoulder joints I took the plunge and ordered a supplement to reduce inflammation. In two days The swelling is down 60 or so percent I can move and the redness at each joint has faded. I shall test this stuff for the next 30 days. As a result singles in the deadlift went from 400 hurting singles to 5 sets of 3 with 405,squat went up another easy 10, on squat with new /old bar, curled on ez curl bar in loose fashion a comfortable several sets of 10 and a finisher of 16 reps with the " deep dish" 45s on the bar. To totally astound me a number of gals and guys have been lifting and flirting with pinching in a full deadlift the old York 35 lb Olympic plates( never forget the picture of John Davis doing it in Strength and Health magazine) so I gave it a try. The plates came up well a number of times right handed and to my shock and awe they came up solid with my left hand. I don't recall ever doing that lefty ...... Pretty late in life for a first! Kind of happy to say the least. I will keep tabs on if this was just a good day or new trend for my training.

Listened to some of my own instruction last night and after a full day of meetings ,instead of grinding out another workout .,I reflected on a good week , had a decent meal ,rested ,puttered around on some fun projects and slept well. Perhaps the secret to win is......recovery.

Back at it today to help with a special Olympics power meet tomorrow. Seeing them compete safely and feeling the joy that strength brings will make for a good weekend.

• Like 1

An amazing weekend. Almost a walk "full circle "in life. It started with a fantastic meet held outdoors in powerlifting put together, in a flawless fashion by Donnie Thompson and his group of steadfast ,dyed in the wool supporters. David Hoff the man now with the highest power total of all time ( 3005)drove town to support and judge, friends brought a free cookout, food , drinks and water for all without being charging a cent. The Compound, Donnie's lair of strength was open to all and along with my son and grandson I saw old friends and new that I have have competed and bled with. All classes wether, masters, women, teen, raw ,and gear where supported and given a full red carpet experience. I can't say enough on the effort and honest quality of such an event being put on to better powerlifting and promote strength as a life style.

My second part of my experiences was more sober. I hope with Mother's Day approaching as many out their as possible still have a mom to celebrate or at least fond memories. I have heard about that upcoming date and struggled in my heart as to how to deal with it. Mom is gone on, left much, and is truly remembered. I tried to push aside the anxiety of next Sunday and as I pulled up in the driveway a lone rose bush had bloomed a single huge rose. As a child I didn't have an allowance so most of my gifts were hand made. My greatest gift in my young mind was to give the first rose of summer to my mom. Easy, one would think except the rose bush grew overhanging our fence from my stern ,grumpy neighbors yard from a hand made trellis. You didn't go into Big John's yard. The first rose bloomed and shirking fear I climbed my fence crawled bleeding ripped through the thorns and plucked that single rose for her. It was all I had to give someone that gave me life. To see that rose Saturday ,by it self bloom was a way I was told she was in a good, safe place and was still smiling down at me.

I decided to take a trip down a road off the interstate that not until yesterday was perhaps a "time line "of my life on one road. It started in 1974 with my first job as a teacher,the lives that were changed, adventures, many businesses now bear the names of my past successful students. Farther down the road I for the first time since 1995 walked in the building I had first bought to produce Sorin Equipment. The near by garage that the actual work had started in was long since leveled after 1981. The doors were wide open and a name of one of the greatest humanitarian men I have met, Mr. Billy Stanick had from his goodness and pocket marked the 1940s domed building into a Rocky type boxing center. I hesitated, but turned the truck around to finally stop and visit. I walked in and was struck how much smaller the building looked and the absolute quality of the facility. All hand crafted , painted and outfitted by Mr. Stanick and " his boxers" I was greeted so warmly by all not knowing why or how they knew me. All were "grip friends "and have used the original weight equipment I built with my own hands 30 years go. All was still rock solid with memories oozing from the very steel. Excited ,one of the boxers called Mr. Stanick and I was elated to be able to talk with him again and tell him my deepest respect and thanks for what he has done for his fellow man. The bloody handprints I had put on those walls decades ago to commemorate deer kills have long since faded but not the memories of the life and passion within.

• Like 2

I spent part of the afternoon looking through boxes of old photos . Yep cambered bar pics even with me squatting on in 1966 ,, thick bar 3" handle curls when I was in 8th grade, heavy 340 lb lockouts on a primitive "behind the fence in the woods" rack of sorts when I was 12. Cleans wit 355 as a teen, incline press with 411 at 36 ...all things of my younger days that started the juices flowing.

The workout last night was different , I never have been one to take supplements or adhere to strict diets. In desperation to help stem some of the pronounced swelling in my finger wrist, foot and shoulder joints I took the plunge and ordered a supplement to reduce inflammation. In two days The swelling is down 60 or so percent I can move and the redness at each joint has faded. I shall test this stuff for the next 30 days. As a result singles in the deadlift went from 400 hurting singles to 5 sets of 3 with 405,squat went up another easy 10, on squat with new /old bar, curled on ez curl bar in loose fashion a comfortable several sets of 10 and a finisher of 16 reps with the " deep dish" 45s on the bar. To totally astound me a number of gals and guys have been lifting and flirting with pinching in a full deadlift the old York 35 lb Olympic plates( never forget the picture of John Davis doing it in Strength and Health magazine) so I gave it a try. The plates came up well a number of times right handed and to my shock and awe they came up solid with my left hand. I don't recall ever doing that lefty ...... Pretty late in life for a first! Kind of happy to say the least. I will keep tabs on if this was just a good day or new trend for my training.

Nice to see you reflecting on life and good training sessions. Even better seeing your trying supplements and setting PR's left....grabbing those old york 35's must've been nice!