From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Those are heavy dumbbell rows, Richard! Do you prefer to do them on a flat bench, with one hand and knee on the bench, or do you bend over the dumbbell rack and do them?

I try to do exercises in a wavelike pattern of changing reps and weight each workout so strength and size comes in balance. I start them ( our crew)off with the basics and when in basic condition with a fair basal level of strength we add exercises that train, and warmup the muscles in a more specific manner at the same time. The rows have helped me greatly because I was injured in that area needing rehab, the muscles used are a huge portion of total body muscle structure ,so ,doing the rows had a key role in my plan. A few things I feel are important. Same ,same( train as you would compete) emphasized by the Russians led me to have a very square fore and aft foot position feet pointing in same line, back angled up and square, arms long with a full lowered stretch first movement initiated with the back NOT the arm and the end of the movement the bell has to touch in the upper chest armpit area . This puts you in a solid ground based position, cuts down dangerous torque in lower back,and relates to other lifts to be later used in training. I don't see many uses for a half jerk pull with the arm while one leg is on a supportive bench. My off hand does add stability by being put on the top hook of a bench or dumbbell stored in a rack. This lowers the damaging torque keeps you in a more strict position able to work through a more full range of motion. There is no "written in stone "right or wrong but experience, scientific data,and positive results do tend to suggest a likely path of training. Thanks for asking!

• Like 1

Thank you for the detailed description. I ask because with this exercise, it's so easy to be loose with form and mess something up in the back....but if you're doing them for this many years at these kinds of weight, then you have your technique dialed in and I want to know about it, haha. I do them in a similar way except I must admit, sometimes I don't necessarily touch that armpit. That's a good guideline for a successful completion of the rep.

Good lifting last night our 170lb. Soccer player is now 190 squatting perfect low doubles with 355. We all have been working grip with Adrianne Wilson getting close with our 25lb. Heavier master fab guy Johnnie missing shutting the 2.5 by both a hair. We all have been pinching dimes, pairs of 35lbs, and several now cyborg, Bert, Hundo, and myself hauling up and holding for time the tapered 155 lb. iron mandrel cone.

The mighty Mitts Arnold's contest will be straight forward and exciting with the thrown in bonus of getting a shot in front of thousands to lift thevHenry Mistake Bell correctly for 10k. Any MM competitors should be well versed in vertical anvil horn type lifts, thick bar dumbbell lifts, pinch grip most around 4", hub, finger tip strength. Crushing will be included but to a more minor degree. And bending and levering due to the difficulty of display ,inherent danger ,and technique involved most likely will be minimal. You never know when to break a tie YOU might have to do the highly touted NON finger tip crush of an apple ,potato or cabbage to break a tie! Enough said ....

Later, my one arm rows last night and inspired by Mr. Mitti I tried to strict row high a 100lb. 3" handle solid steel dumbbell to my underarm in a braced leaning angled forward position( Hands in dead center of handle and not touching ends). 5 clean dead stop reps about did me in. I will start doing these as part of my workout with the 138 lb. Inch bell we also have.

They are some big fellows and some loyal followers. You ,as any other serious gentleman grip enthusiast is always welcome in our place. We always can share ,compare notes or perhaps pass on something positive to you by being involved in this joy of grip for over 50 years.

Last night a solid training night with Triplex pulls going up by leaps and bounds for all. Some continued good squeezes with 1.5 , 2and nearly closed 2.5 grippers by some of the pack. I asked Ms. " D" if She could haul up a 3" handle 80 and then 100 lb. dumbbell with one bare hand.The 80 was up in a flash the 100 a couple of inches ( 5-6)up. I noticed she felt more comfortable trying the100 more from "the side "with her grip. Interesting ,Much like Mr. Mitti ! She also went to work with those powerful arms and hands in the log clean and press. The woman North American Strongman record is 206. She motored strictly through ...get this after a strong clean did 216x5 , 226x3, and 232x1! NOT a bad relaxed training session! Pack member Johnny filmed the lifts on a phone but , I haven't reviewed them yet. She is one all around strong lady. "D"seems like the Arnold Strongwomen will be a good opportunity for her!

I was ready to roll with the pack and a call from the heating service man pulled me away. While trying to conserve a bit of heat I watched via phone the Pack go for their singles test day. All to a man made at least one PR. Hundo was pretty let down missing the 350 bench he wanted, badger the animal soccer player just to spite me doubled 405 and added a deeeep 410 squat, Clark and Johnny broke well over the 200 barrier adding 100lbs to their benches in 3 training cycles. Johnny that struggled to squat 65lbs on day 1 made a strong 245. They all curled like monsters crowding the 100 mark on the super strict curl machine. ( as I have said before few in 20 years have done 100) very proud of what a determined crew of new lifters can do. They all are working their grip as well and the stability gained in their upper body has increased all facets of their grip performance.

Had a tweak in my shoulder neck and back the other day. I don't know if slogging through swamps chasing wild boar in 11degree weather didn't help any either.I will cut my weights back for a few days since our protected single test night was completed a few days ago as well.

Information should be flowing under contest section about Mighty Mitts competition and and questions will hopefully be answered by contacting my son Bert@sorinex.com. We will move on this quickly to give time to contestants. Please stay posted and competitors when offered please respond ASAP. We have a baby Sorin being born right on or near that date so all is pretty tense.

The shoulder back neck thing has locked down farther.I am just greatfull that the training I have done to date might have saved further damage. I will be at the gym tonight but what I can do may be interesting. The last three workouts have included Triplex pulls and deadlifts ....perhaps a little too intense progression for this circa 1950 frame. The young guys are thriving on them. We will see!

Chiro always seemed a very short term help. My rotator cuff, shoulder and neck discs were so damaged any twisting or snapping might be very bad for me. My spinal cord in my neck is occluded to half the normal size. The surgeon was hedging on operation a few months ago. I appreciate the concern and suggestions and support! I WILL keep on trying!

Ahh. Ain't that something. We're the ones killing ourselves in the gym, trying to better ourselves, and then you have the lazy people out there, not doing any activity at all. And we end up with all the aches and pains. Oh well I guess it comes with the territory.

A gut check night but mothered through a decent workout. New faces, gotta help em! If I back down or off they will.

Ms, D chewed trough Axle deadlifts on a IM bar. 255 no problem. 275( actual weight 279) was hauled up to just below knees a half dozen times. She is so strong that she pulls the weight like a clean. I suggested more time to grip and set then ease the bar up. That is some good weight!

Coming home........

It was a trial to go to the gym last night but I figured I could feel bad at home why not try to do something. As we started to lift the Pack broke into their usual groups and were in good spirits. Our accountant Kenny showed last night to make his bones at lifting. Brave and smart. Now pretty sore but game!

We looked to the door seeing a new person lurking outside. Everyone looked at each other like" hmmmm". I walked over ,opened the door and a stocky young man with a big smile stood before me. I said can I help you? He said "no that they were traveling through and he just liked working out".All of a new 13 years old reminded me of my younger days. I told home to come on in and make himself at home. Is he walked in we invited him to jump in with us. He blinked and said" you know my dad Scott" and steps behind his dad entered from the closing darkness. I did not know the man but , I knew his eyes. After 35 years have passed since I taught him weightlifting in fifth grade he took the trip home to put his ill dad at rest and present his fine son. Scott was my best student and received the " weightlifting award" of the 5th grade so many years ago. He told me his strength and knowing how to lift carried him through college wrestling and football at Clemson U. We united after all these years ,and once again trained together.......they were home.

• Like 6

Double dippin' grippin' last night. The pack plus another new one, Hacksaw showed up all out. We hit it fast and hard even more rep PRs in the bench for a few. We set our sights on one arm rapid rows last night. Stipulation 5sets of 10 minimum with a 100lb bell. Son Bert kicked it up a whole notch by changing the 100 to a 2" axle thick handle. There were blue faces and tongues hanging out. Curls afterward by a high rep down set of 20. Then they all zipped over to do deep squats 6sets of 4. Gassed ,they all migrated towards the grip zone and Blobbed it up , several hauled up the pinched Pair of York 35s and at least 4 now can hold the 155 cone mandrel aloft. Hacksaw went at the grip stuff like he could eat the iron. Probably one of the strongest "natural grip average guys " I have ever seen. No quit in him! Ms D was cleaning and rep jerk push pressing the 3" handle 100lb Circus type bell. She just toys with it! A good night to say the least!

Ready for another tough Monday night. Going to try out a new bar that combines several things we have been working on. If it works workout time more effective ,lower stress on Joints ,and add to overall grip gains. Excited to see how the pack likes it. We test everything we sell to insure it is just not another shiny gadget to get your money but instead a solid answer to better training results.

• Like 5

Like a beehive of power last night. Everyone was just rocking. I pulled up shortly after 5 and saw a Florida plate car parked in "PopsParking spot" amazed anyone went for a sure drubbing and pulled in there amazed me. I walked in hollering " what type of human would take old Pops parking spot". A lot of blank friendly faces were putting their belts and shoes on but no one fessed up. Suddenly from the shadows of the grip area a bear sized being emerged. Top pro strongman, Bulgarian Dimitar Savatino came by to visit. He is one of the competitors in the Arnold Strongman this year. About 5'10 and 335 ....he HAS mass. Sheepishly he he raised his hand and said " it Is me, my car" . We all laughed exchanged a crunching hug and had a great visit. Being a Ringling strongman he travels quite a bit , he said after the visit he was off tho Orlando. To see the 23 inch neck stride out the door was something to see. His last workout at our place he deadlifted on our diamond trap bar .........790x10. Grunted " goot varmup"

Adrianne and Ms D were killing the grip area last night with mandrel cone lifts, blob lifts and curls and stacked 10 lb plate pinches. They really went at it. The mandrel to be used at the Arnold Mighty Mitts medley is giving ground to my repeated try's. I got it with and extra 10 attached and the lighter 83 lb mandrel loaded up with an extra 70 lbs at the same time. With music vibrating the room the night went on. The new grip/ press diamond bar worked perfectly . Everyone loved it . Tonight we use it again for big grip deadlifts and shrug pulls.

• Like 1

I love your story telling while enjoying seeing your inspiring progress.

If this is how the Sorinex facility has always been, then why oh why did nobody ever suggest to Mr. Sorin to start this thread many years ago? Almost 100% of the entries have something entertaining about it, and even the regular entries without stories, just sharing progress, is a good read. "goot varmup" on 790x10... wowzer, the guy sounds like a tank at that height and weight too.

Just wanted to let everyone know about the most recent details of the 2014 Sorinex Mighty Mitts are now available on our Mighty Mitts site:
www.MightyMittsContest.com

Let me know what you think and if anyone's going to be in the area for it

• Like 1

I'll be there to see these impressive athletes compete for the title. The medley and frame lockout are a perfect mix to challenge these men. The website looks great!!! You and Bert did a fantastic job setting this up again this year. I'll see you there Richard. WILL ANYONE HAVE THE POWER TO LIFT THE HENRY DUMBBELL????

We are pressed with the upcoming birth of my grand daughter and the contest. Bert has been working non stop to organize the contest and go back and forth to the ER with his wife. A few problems are making it critical to have her on bed rest. I don't know at the moment what the future holds. Bert will most likely have to remain here and our friends, worthy crew ,and stout competitors will all pull together and the " show goes on"! Cyborg (Jason Lawson) ,House Wilson, Adrianne Wilson , Pat Povalitis and Steve Weiner will be there to make things happen. All good. If you do pray, please say a silent one for my daughter in law Les and grand daughter's health.

• Like 1