From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

We all at Sorinex celebrated along with our extended family of strength the joy of the Holiday

season at our yearly party.The people that work hard as heck, take pride in what they build to make others stronger,and at 5:30 make tracks toward the gym all were there. We are a bigger, stronger family now. Even ol' Silent a top welder had a few words to say with a smile on his face. I looked around that room and was filled with pride. My little grandson Ezra was there being part of the future ahead.

I was more than honored to have Col. Jake and his wife Linda to visit us. Jake was the cell mate of John McCain in the dreaded Hanoi Hilton for several years. His daily routine of torture and beatings were his only reward for being a loyal American soldier. There were not words fitting to tell him my feelings and deep thanks for what he endured for his country. The next time we get down ,or think "woe is me."....just think.................. Peace and Grip to all!

• Like 1

A day of rest and using these stiff fingers to wrap packages for those that make life so special to me. I spent the last two days in the woods doing my thing in rain and cold but, above all doing what you truly love with those who mean the most to me is the true spirit of Christmas. Old friends have called and as long as they are well that is my greatest gift.

A friendship of 45 years that started as two young bulls bumping heads in a college weight room has turned into someone I have trusted for nearly a half century of friendship and probably saving me from my "own bright ideas" that probably would have killed me long ago. Tell those you need to what you REALLY think and give of yourself to better some one less fortunate than you. " life is time sensitive " use it wisely and with joy!

• Like 1

Well , the Pack should return tonight after a week of active rest. Ms. D Nd Adrianne Wilson were able to visit at Andrew Durinat's gym and get some getting some great training in. I

am pretty "stove up "from hunting, I actually feel better when I lift special in my hands ,wrists and lower back.

My grandson had a huge Christmas, I was in the dog house giving him gifts rated for a "bit older "than a near two year old. He has a bunch of wood barbells he can load and Nerf popper guns and grip actuated toys. Building mind and body with stuff like that and a basket of old time maple wood building blocks should keep him busy ..... And strong!

I am lucky that during my last workout for the holidays didn't result in " the Big Bang theory" being proved. I had a pistol I was planning to use on my final yearly hunt and one of the Pack wanted to see a round of ammo for this monster. I put in my breast pocket Barney Fife style a single round to show the interested party. I forgot about the .500 magnum round being in my pocket and for a whole workout of bench , dumbbell press and 125lb dumbbell rows crashing into my chest I for some reason had a pain in my chest. The bump if felt was not a sore spot but that crushed , bent , round sitting tucked away after being hit with accelerated iron a couple of hundred times with that primer at ready to go off . Lucky, funny, a typical day in the life! Lol

We all went at it last night. The active rest week helped everyone . My poundages went up from the short rest. We did a good bit of multi plate (10lb) plate pinches and the finer arts of Blob work with Johnny , Hundo,and the crew. To be surrounded by such a group from Cyborgs super child to tough 68 year old swat sniper, world champ highland/ grip queen Adranne, Bear tough House and the ever truly stunning ms Kim and ms Kristy makes for a varied but great night. All for one one for all! This has been a good , good time of year but it only possible with each of us being first happy with ourselves and then sharing it. A most joyous new year to all, time to restore, start anew ,and better this world!

Finished out the year more happy and healthy than about 6 months ago. My last lift of the year was a 402 raw squat that reminded me there is still challenge and fun ahead. All the crew is stoked to hit their goals in the new year and even after being let off at lunch time New Year's Eve ,they all headed forbthe gym. Mighty Mitts ahead in Early March and our sick with the flu media wizard is starting to process and color correct the photos he took of the monsters and mutants on Grip Knight. We hope to get them posted soon.

We completed two full cycles of training 18 weeks. All the guys lifted or had lifted before . To the man everyone did at least one set of 5 with what their best single was 18 weeks ago. Average body weight gain 16 lbs. all lifted at least a 40 lb . Blob last night. The "deal "on the one arm dumbbell row( keep body aligned and back angled slightly up weight goes from full straight arm to touch under arm pit) no matter what they "normally used "they had to try for 5 sets of 10 with a York globe 100. If they couldn't make all the 10 per set they were to do as many as possible. Everyone did at least 5 reps per set per arm. At the finish the Pack was a solid unit of green and grey colored faces totally gassed but smiling. I think back 18 weeks ago seeing them using 30lbs. .....

A new addition Mitch...as we call him quietly did deep raw squats last night for his fourth workout. I glanced over and saw his 170 frame knocking out the weight of what I thought was 185 out, until I added it up and it was 275! What a start for a quiet guy. They all have increased their water and better diet intake . I overheard a few talking about getting a good post workout supplement drink. Gee, what a long way they have come!

Other than being cold and flu ravenged in our area lifting and grip "goes on "tonight. A few highlights recently was being able to send a rare Fatman Blob used by many of the worlds best to an outstanding collector gentleman Tom Balchin. This will allow at least others in England to try and enjoy the "real "thing.

My day was even brightened more hearing from legend Laine Snook about his interest in attending the Mighty Mitts competition and perhaps setting an additional all time mark in the Inch Dummbell replica double carry AND lifting the Mark Henry "mistake" bell from its box. Good people and good things happening !

• Like 4

This is fantastic news! It would be a lot of fun to see Laine compete on the Mighty Mitts stage!

With the graces of Dr. Terry Todd and generosity of super star of strength and wrestling( grip too) Mark Henry ,it was related to me as a promise that the Henry "Mistake " bell will be included on stage as a part of the Sorinex Mighty Mitts contest held at the largest sports event in the world .....the Arnold's Sports Festival the first week in March in Columbus, Ohio. The single prize of 10,000.00 will be awarded for a correct , full, one handed deadlift of a 2.5" handled 300lb solid steel dumbbell out of its wooden packing crate. The crate is of stout lumber and weighs 50lbs. The box must remain in place.I am excited to hear from anyone in very short order that who is interested in not only earning a Mighty Mitts title before thousands of onlookers , Mighty Mitts prize for place money, and the crack at a extra 10K for about three seconds of work by a Superman better get on it! Contact Richard or Bert Sorin .

• Like 1

I traveled to Dallas this weekend to meet with Dr. Terry Todd and legend powerlifter of the 60s Mr. Ronnie Ray. Between them and the Safari club exhibition show I was a busy boy. Ronnie was a super strong ,beyond strict lifter that after his heavy days of lifting still became the first at age 50 to bench 500 in competition. We all enjoyed Ronnie's ranch hospitality and was able to discuss the potential ways we could be fair to as many as possible to be given a chance to lift the Henry Mistake Bell at the Arnold's Festival. Terry suggested we consider opening the opportunity to at least the strongmen as well and as long as the bell is properly lifted from the box and placed on the ground that in itself would meet the requirements of the challenge. We will review this suggestion quickly and perhaps in the event of more than one lifting the Bell a splitting of the prize be considered. Giving credit for a for what is done not by the luck of the draw may well be a more fair way to provide the worthy prize.

I am tired of early flights, endless flying ,and walking 8 hours a day, but .....I wouldn't trade it for the world! Off to the gym tonight with the Pack for another Monday of mayhem!

• Like 1

Here are some of those photos I promised from our "Grip Knights" a few weeks ago.
Some amazing things going on here.

IMG 0977

IMG 0982

IMG 1000

IMG 1009

IMG 1015

IMG 1024

IMG 1026

IMG 1028

IMG 1030

IMG 1035

IMG 1039

IMG 1046

IMG 1047

IMG 1054

IMG 1058

IMG 1062

IMG 1065

IMG 1079

IMG 1084

IMG 1089

IMG 1100

IMG 1105

IMG 1133

IMG 1136

IMG 1159

IMG 1161

• Like 3

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Here there be giants!

Is that a one hand millstone lift?

It sure looks like it - I did it 2 hands - one hand is STUDLY!!!

Is that a one hand millstone lift?

It sure looks like it - I did it 2 hands - one hand is STRONG!!! We really need to get him on a Euro setup!

On the 150 lb. Millstone lift in all the years there has not been a one hand lift. In the photo and one taken at my birthday by Dr. Strossen no one made the lift so we all tried it two handed and to hold with one hand . Dave and I were successful. I really think it can be done. No one here has practiced with it other than trying on special occasions. Still not conquered one handed!being still considered for Mighty Mitts medley.

On the 150 lb. Millstone lift in all the years there has not been a one hand lift. In the photo and one taken at my birthday by Dr. Strossen no one made the lift so we all tried it two handed and to hold with one hand . Dave and I were successful. I really think it can be done. No one here has practiced with it other than trying on special occasions. Still not conquered one handed!being still considered for Mighty Mitts medley.

The Mighty Mitts Medley sounds to be even more daunting than what is was last year. Craziness.

"D" there is no more game a competitor or truly impressive pound for pound athlete judged by ANY criteria. You are one stud buck that I never have seen to back down OR be the first to encourage another..... Much respect!

The want was there but the "will "was tested. 25 long years ago against all odds for a small company to rise and fulfill an obligation to build one of the very first college "super weight rooms "we came through the storm. Today my son is installing their next" new" link to strength. My eyes opened wide when I saw pictures of some of the very pieces I designed and built with my own hands were still there being used a quarter of a century later! After seeing those pictures and being reminded of the "will " I once had ,I decided latest night with the pack to finally be"back" . I started "crippled up "trying to bench press 70 lbs last May and last night after deciding to "go for it" did 300 raw with a pause. I had the "want "but the will just had to return on its own. Inspired ,it was a happy day!

Most of the pack in the last two training cycles have now gained near 20 lbs and put at least a 100lbs. on their lifts as well as acquiring a hefty grip.

• Like 2

The culmination of the one arm rows, diamond bar pressing, standing alternate band press setup and the rehab I have done has really had a great impact. My grip has returned, body weight of more useful muscle has leveled out and the carryover is significant. Last night the pack was on their new " 3 phase wave" style workout which includes the secret favorite of my pulling power over the years the Triplex pull followed by deadlifts and curls. This sequence is deadly for great gains. I deadlifted and triplex pulled for the first time last night since my injuries and it worked.... seamless. The pack though very pleased all filed in today asking if anyone had any Aleeve to spare. They are a good, tough bunch. I was amazed that after two years I am finally able to lift and hold the tapered cone monster iron mandrel grip test of 155lb.. Until Tex , Chad and Mutant lifted it recently I had sat dormant since Big Rich hauled it up prior to a Mighty Mitts showing for over 2 years.

Great training lastnightbeven Clark with his best efforts to resist coaching has actually in 3 training cycles doing 6 strict raw reps with his best bench ,incline ,squat ,and deadlift weight he could muster after a couple of years training at a typical gym

Sorry, post was cut off and entered above. The rest of the pack have moved up in a similar fashion adding hefty weight to the basics and aided by the wave of supporting auxiliary exercises. They see how the good mornings, triplex pulls, deadlifts ,lat pulls and one arm rows all when applied at the right time, sequence and intensity all build on one another. I ran out of conventional weight dumbbells( which makes me smile) so I loaded up a heavy duty olympic revolving sleeve dumbbell we made to go along with our hand crafted bars in university settings. The dumbbell is now at 167( handle with spring collars weighs17) and rowed my last heavy set with it last night for 10 each arm. Really packing on size and stability! When I can handle 200 I will be to my goal.

I am excited to hear more from Mystery man Seatts if he will be considered for the Mighty Mitts. I have a rare free weekend that I plan on concentrating on the scope and order of the Might Mitts contest. No tricks, they will just need a strong heart and hands!