From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Having just caught up on this thread... I really believe Richard, you could pen a book like none other. There is so much quality in your content, and though, having seemingly, somewhat of a charmed life... yet putting in the work as well, you have reached heights in strength and life that others could only dream of. I for one am inspired tonight. You once sent me a signed vintage #3, that I now know, was no small gesture. May God bless your future, family, friends and all you set your sights on.

/Matt/

Edited by MilGrip

I am more than honored to be addressed in that way. It has been a grand journey ,not what you would think on the surface as being important as setting a record mark or winning some competition. It is being able to enjoy what you love most for over half a century and give what you can of that wonderful feeling and joy of being part of and giving back to something worthwhile. I might cannot "run forward "any more but, I must keep moving and if I can helping others along .....if I stop ,the journey will end.

Last night could have been called ladies night at the Sorinex training area. The gals outnumbered the guys .National and World champion lady lifters hauled up 200-260 lb axle deadlifts, #2 grippers were clicked shut by females around the room. The Badger enraged by his dislocated finger decided to do a personal record for weight or reps in EVERY exercise out of pure toughness. Two of the most stunning ladies you could ever expect to be hauling up iron did max deadlift night with 20 pound personal increases. To see a 110 lb. petite lady walk up to a 300lb bar( no straps ) and haul it up opened all our eyes that beauty and strength are very compatible. The shop metal artists continue to improve and a wonderful unplanned moment of my son and I not just being in the same workout room but training together set for set rep for rep( almost) was something we have hardly with the groups we train ever get to do.Truly a special time! The funny thing ....the two strongest in the room Cyborg( 810 dl.)Lawson ,power and grip standout House( looks like a young Doyle Kennedy) Wilson both were the one' s doing their functional non weight stretching program. What a group! Memories and respect ...it was all there.

I feel like I hosted a train wreck last night. We all pushed hard and did a number of snatch and high pulls with a slightly downsized Circus Bell we made up for the ladies to train with. Ms D does reps with a 100lb bell. We will include this in our guys workout most likely on one arm row days. I cranked it out doing my sets of one arm rows using the Inch replica( and strap) for 5 sets of 10 each arm at 138, and 158. I saw stars for a while after those !Badger and the guys did overhand deadlifts and that tough son of a gun ground out the reps at 405 despite his dislocated, swollen finger dangling. He is off to a hand doc today or else! The next time the gals pull some big weight I will try to get some pictures of the gravity defying fun. Stunning to say the least.

I have been reviewing the History of our Mighty Mitts contests held at the Arnold Sports festival each year. Another chance to inspire the art and wonder of human hand strength. I shook my head saying gosh we have been doing this soooo many years We have hit hand strength from every angle. Well, as I mentioned in my post about the Ultimate Blob that my find its way to center stage in early March the awareness of the importance and significance of the hand was THE first form of written awareness in modern man 40,800 years ago in a dark cave in France. The stenciled handprint of digits weathered and crippled by wear, weather and the grind of early life tell the story of the true importance of the hand as the mark of mankind. Grip IS very special! .

Yesterday was a great day. We invited the crew of the Hope Christian shool to join us for an educational tour of the grip and strength area. These special students loved everything from the Dinnie stone replica and before it was over trying to each run the rack on Blobs and shut some grippers in an impromptu contest. They looked at every single weight , banner ,and picture. Many of them while a bit slower in some areas truly excel at others and they were a great group. We all spoke about having special gifts and if we got real good with those interests and gifts life could be very rewarding and fun. They had a good time but I had a wonderful time. As they cheered each other on to lift a max 22 lb Blob record I was excited by their success and interest in grip as much watching the World 's best compete. They all heard the story of the history of anvils and as a parting gesture they all patted the legendary Zuver 200 lb. plates for good luck. What true goodness in those kids.

Yesterday was a great day. We invited the crew of the Hope Christian shool to join us for an educational tour of the grip and strength area. These special students loved everything from the Dinnie stone replica and before it was over trying to each run the rack on Blobs and shut some grippers in an impromptu contest. They looked at every single weight , banner ,and picture. Many of them while a bit slower in some areas truly excel at others and they were a great group. We all spoke about having special gifts and if we got real good with those interests and gifts life could be very rewarding and fun. They had a good time but I had a wonderful time. As they cheered each other on to lift a max 22 lb Blob record I was excited by their success and interest in grip as much watching the World 's best compete. They all heard the story of the history of anvils and as a parting gesture they all patted the legendary Zuver 200 lb. plates for good luck. What true goodness in those kids.

Very special kids got a very special opportunity thanks to you Richard - well done!!!

I look forward to another night with the Iron and the "Pack "that shows up on Monday. The Rows with the 158 Inch Replica last week still have my back and biceps torqued and twisted a bit. Might be a medium intensity volume week on grip and lifting.Several of the potential Might Mitts competitors expressed interest in visiting our facility to train a bit and perhaps show "their wares "to aid in our ultimate selection process. Dave the Mutant and Big Pinch Chad sound like they are pointing in this direction for a visit. Many of the pieces mentioned in the ongoing history of grip development just quietly wait here for their next master.

• Like 1

Like gang busters again last night. First the blue rabbits appeared at rep count 31 then an "oh God "at 42 carried me through 5 sets of one arm medium intensity one arm rows finishing with a set of 50 with each Arm at 125. That was a recent high mark. I would like to go for a set of 50 with 135 to 150 for New Years goal.

The Pack benched , dumbbell pressed and then really did well in the standing Diamond bar press activating the core, entire deltoid group and elevating and building the traps each rep. The Badger knocked out sets of 10 in a deep high bar squat with 250 and the others followed close. Ms D, Adrian and the stunning Ms.Christy all stretched well and worked on grippers. Adrian snapped the 2 shut for good REPS and from the corner of my eye saw a 2.5 go down to handles all but closed. She IS coming back! The grippers felt great to me and the 2.5 is yielding both hands now for reps. The 3 went down a good ways with both hands using a basic TNS. Son Bert combined shutting grippers double handed TNS while using our Pit Shark squat machine. You don't need to hold a bar on your back with the unit ....great for those who are injured or don't like to squat. Bert just added a time saving twist. Lots of fun last night. Massage and rehab today ahead.

Well ,it was an interesting night. My straight bar curls and strict full load rage curls have basically doubled since my accident. My top concentration curls are now at 98( on this machine it is so isolated in 20 years I have only seen 100 used less than 6 times) the straight bar curls are at 155 and I then to do a very controlled long , slow negative while lowering the weight. Feeling strong I went to the squat and tried the happy raw number of 400. Almost stood up ....but not to be. This morning I feel as though the weight is till on me. Well, all you can do is try.......hopefully the young pack seeing the old one " go to the well " will keep them thirsty for continued success. A bit of a grip get together is scheduled for Monday night Dec. 16 at 5:30. I think having a fun get together along with some of the World's best visiting will produce some grip electricity. Any other gripsters in the area (as always) are welcomed too.

I love reading this thread Richard, very amazing recovery so far. Hope 2014 brings you back to top form once again.

I just got a wee bit of information about the gentle giant Big Rich ....He casually walked up to a loaded axle the other day and one hand deadlifted it.........with 275.....eeeek. Would not bet against him doing 300. I saw him in our gym do 254 already a few years back.

I started to write an update report and I guess due to a meeting my post timed out. By recall everyone in the workout crew during the finish of our second cycle of raw training gained from 5-20 lbs of lean muscle and their lifts ranged from doubling in some cases for the beginners to on Hundo a 185 lb. ex Marine went from a 225 bench to singles with 315 and 325 last night. Badger with his paw still taped back together did his best bench, Incline and squatted high bar raw 365x3. Very pleased with the results. Quite a few calls about interested folks coming to train and greet Chad and Dave the grip Mutant this coming Monday night at 5:30. The grip gals will be in the house trying some top level feats and I heard "perhaps" Tex and or Big Rich might come by to say hi. The Ultimate ( uncut) blob was transferred to the place last night to see if the "Big Dog "pinchers can do anything with it.( my money says nooooo) it will all be fun and as always everyone is welcome to see , feel and try their best at the toughest grip tasks and equipment the world has to offer!

• Like 1

There should be a good crew for training tonight. Chad as usual is positive, interested and game for anything. I hope Dave the Grip Mutant makes it to get a real taste of what is available in the grip world and what he and others like minded can do!

Saturday was a slice of Americana going to support an employee coach "Chops"and his ladies Roller Derby team. Some great skating and some real contact physical movements all in a pretty wholesome, family atmosphere. Different , but, I really enjoyed it! Our pack sticks together!

Last night was a walk into grip history! The word spread that "quality" was on the way to visit and the gym was near full and humming. Gary Kessler top ranked arm wrestler and wonderful mentor brought Dave the Mutant all the way from Virginia. Tex still rehabbing a torn finger tendon and the ever powerful Alpha grip legend Chad Woodall all flowed through the door about 5:30. Johnny one of the pack turned and said to me "there is some huge guy coming up to the door" Huge... what an understatement! Dave is 6'7 290 lbs of solid functional muscle , arms , forearms and hands like giant meat hooks. He was one of the best mannered sportsmen and competitors I have EVER seen. Tex was still healing but never backed off a bit in effort and enthusiasm. Chad was fit and strong as can be 6'7 292 and the will, reserve and means to grip and hold anything.

The rest of the room was filled by the pack going for maxes, Adriane, Ms D going on grippers and Deadlifts. Ms D clamping the 2 TNS, deadlifting 460 and pinching up a storm. Chad and I saw Adriane clamping the 2 shut and all but closed the 2.5.

I gave the guys a few minutes to look around and decide what they would be interested in trying. As a group the all agreed forbme to select trials that were significant , very high level, and potential events at Mighty Mitts.

I wrote down the results of each trial by each man in nearly a dozen varied events. Not one bit of fear ,all cheering each other on at least three trials on each event. No shirking or backing off.......I took several pages of records along with our camera IT guy taking soon to be seen 250 photos. The event went in a contest format in rounds and carefully judged as to be done correctly in front of a slew of knowing onlookers. It will take a bit of time to list results but I can quickly give the items used and a quick observation or two.

In general order.... Baraban dyno( highest ever recorded) Baseline dyno( highest ever recorded one went off dial) pinch 150 millstone, run entire 14 Blob Gauntlet( 42-54.7) 173 anvil , 149 anvil pair lift, deep dish York 45 pinch, Inch pair deadlift, 54.5 ,54.7 double Blob pinch,100lb 4.5" anvil lift, 2 -2" thick 50 lb plate pinch lift, 7 , 10s pinch trial, 138 inch clean and Press, old Silver Crush 3 examination,54.7 Blob lift paired with 173 anvil, and 172 Inch, Hub plate lift of old style deep dish York 45, clean trial of pair of York 35 plates,the Ultimate double Blob( lifted) and a few other" minor tests "went on for a solid 2.5 hours. Final results were close and will be tallied. From this I am sure there will be some mighty Mitts berths to be offered. 100% effort, quality,sportsmanship! Specific results to follow. One of the best nights Of strength I was ever privileged to enjoy!

• Like 6

Dave and I want to thank Richard, Bert, Chad, Tex, Adriane, Ms D and the rest of the Sorinex team for inviting us down and treating us like FAMILY. I watched feat after feat for over two hours and realized that they touched less than 1% of what was available to lift. It would take weeks to look at all the history stored under this roof. Truly amazing...

Dave will be getting his account on the board soon. I can't wait to read his take on the visit. I will say that on the ride home Dave couldn't stop talking about how nice everyone was. This is a night that I will never forget.

Edited by Gary Kessler
  • Like 4

In a rush I took the printed results of Grip Knight visit home in my usual 5 gal Sorinex pail( odd or bulky items don't get lost). Like a too busy elf I left the pail home this morning going to an early meeting. I will try to get an accurate account of the night put up by tomorrow pm.Added to the already varied tasks they all tried lifting globe type dumbbells by one end in 50, 55lb. Also the 155 lb tapered cone mandrel was tried as a vertical lift 12" down on the piece. Pretty interesting outcome!

I missed some of the lifts when I was looking at all the equipment; couldn't stop myself. Richard mentioned things like "never lifted, lifted only once, all three of them, are you kidding me and wow I wouldn't believe it unless I seen it with my own eyes" It was a special night of grip feats by these three exceptional athletes. Looking forward to Richards write-up.

A real full day yesterday. Visited our dear 92 year old Marine friend hero of three of the bloodiest battles of ww2. One of the 7 men left in his group after battle( started with200) he joined the marines so he could fight and eat as he put it. He always came by the gym to see if we had enough to eat. What a true hero of America.

We trained last night hard everyone is really getting stronger. Son Bert is back in the mix despite 60 hour weeks at work, installs on weekends and 2 young Sorin's and a wife to take care of. Quite a man! Hundo as we call him shone last night at 186 body weight was incline cleaning and pressing on the incline 110 dumbbells, he pinched a pair of York 35s both right and left, lifted right and left the 155 cone mandrel right and left as well. Lightest man to do so by 100lbs. We all curled up a storm Badger, Johnny and my repairing self have doubled our poundages in 18 weeks.

Now to the results of the 22 trial knight of Grip get together( I thought we only did about a dozen) each attempt was watched by the other grippers myself a camera and a pretty full room of interested, qualified , grip enthusiasts. I will try to list wat happened simply. A yes was a strong full pull movement a no was the weight basically not moving , a measurement was a partial lift, a - represents the person not trying the particular event. Well here it is!

Dyno Barbarian, Tex 100.5 k, Chad 104.5k,Dave 128k, Baseline Dyno Tex 199lb., Chad 183.5lb, Dave 290(really). 155 lb. Mandrel at 12 " down taper, all three yes, 50lb Globe Dumbbell by end, all yes, 55lb globe dumbbell by end , All no. York pair of 35 lb. plate clean, all no. Double thick plate fat plate pinch of 100lbs total one hand , all no. 150lb. English Millstone pinch and lift one hand ,all no. 173 anvil by horn deadlift. , all yes. 100 lb anvil by face 4.5 thick tex no, chad Right then Left, Dave right, 14 Blob run the table 42-54.7 lb.all three did it,6 10lb plate pinch . No except Dave( 4 fingers and thumb). Ultimate double joined blob pinch , all three yes( amazing). 45 York deep dish by hub to shoulder height, Tex no, Chad and Dave easy right and left!. 7 10s pinch , no one. 54.7 lb Blob pinch by face , Tex and Chad done by both hands, Dave no.100lb. ,4.5 in thick anvil by face Tex and Chad yes , Right and left, Dave , no..heavy fat man Blob pinch 54.7 and 54 together. Tex , Chad, Dave all easy! 138 lb. Inch replica clean and strict press. Dave yes, Tex-, Chad-, 173 anvil by horn and 54.7 blob together , Chad yes, Tex, -Dave-. DEEP dish York 45 pair pinch, Chad Right and left, Tex and Dave no,54.7 Blob by face pinch, Tex and Chad both right and then left, Dave-, well there it is .... A Knight in true grip history! R. Sorin

• Like 5

A real full day yesterday. Visited our dear 92 year old Marine friend hero of three of the bloodiest battles of ww2. One of the 7 men left in his group after battle( started with200) he joined the marines so he could fight and eat as he put it. He always came by the gym to see if we had enough to eat. What a true hero of America.

We trained last night hard everyone is really getting stronger. Son Bert is back in the mix despite 60 hour weeks at work, installs on weekends and 2 young Sorin's and a wife to take care of. Quite a man! Hundo as we call him shone last night at 186 body weight was incline cleaning and pressing on the incline 110 dumbbells, he pinched a pair of York 35s both right and left, lifted right and left the 155 cone mandrel right and left as well. Lightest man to do so by 100lbs. We all curled up a storm Badger, Johnny and my repairing self have doubled our poundages in 18 weeks.

Now to the results of the 22 trial knight of Grip get together( I thought we only did about a dozen) each attempt was watched by the other grippers myself a camera and a pretty full room of interested, qualified , grip enthusiasts. I will try to list wat happened simply. A yes was a strong full pull movement a no was the weight basically not moving , a measurement was a partial lift, a - represents the person not trying the particular event. Well here it is!

Dyno Barbarian, Tex 100.5 k, Chad 104.5k,Dave 128k, Baseline Dyno Tex 199lb., Chad 183.5lb, Dave 290(really). 155 lb. Mandrel at 12 " down taper, all three yes, 50lb Globe Dumbbell by end, all yes, 55lb globe dumbbell by end , All no. York pair of 35 lb. plate clean, all no. Double thick plate fat plate pinch of 100lbs total one hand , all no. 150lb. English Millstone pinch and lift one hand ,all no. 173 anvil by horn deadlift. , all yes. 100 lb anvil by face 4.5 thick tex no, chad Right then Left, Dave right, 14 Blob run the table 42-54.7 lb.all three did it,6 10lb plate pinch . No except Dave( 4 fingers and thumb). Ultimate double joined blob pinch , all three yes( amazing). 45 York deep dish by hub to shoulder height, Tex no, Chad and Dave easy right and left!. 7 10s pinch , no one. 54.7 lb Blob pinch by face , Tex and Chad done by both hands, Dave no.100lb. ,4.5 in thick anvil by face Tex and Chad yes , Right and left, Dave , no..heavy fat man Blob pinch 54.7 and 54 together. Tex , Chad, Dave all easy! 138 lb. Inch replica clean and strict press. Dave yes, Tex-, Chad-, 173 anvil by horn and 54.7 blob together , Chad yes, Tex, -Dave-. DEEP dish York 45 pair pinch, Chad Right and left, Tex and Dave no,54.7 Blob by face pinch, Tex and Chad both right and then left, Dave-, well there it is .... A Knight in true grip history! R. Sorin

Well WOW! is about all I can up with.

• Like 1

Amazing.

Any pictures or videos of the historic day also?

I had to read that report again today just to see if something stands out from yesterday, but it's the same: I still don't get how anyone could out-squeeze Chad in a dyno by such a margin. I mean, Chad climbed the MM ladder really high... he's got some crush, no doubt. And it seems he wasn't really having an off day, if we judge by the fact that he did some feats that neither Tex or Dave could do (pinching deep York 45's both hands!). So I am really surprised. This actually reminded me of that german guy (Christopher something, was his name?? Not sure) who squeezed 130kg+ on the dyno on video but was accused of either jerking it or whatever... but it really got me thinking... maybe these monsters really are out there and just need to be found.

Another thing I wanted to mention is Chad's pinching of those hard York 45's... that is awesome, he did it both hands. Chad is a monster at wide pinch and has anyone ever suggested him to try 3-35's or work towards that feat? Has anyone ever done it without a pipe through the center? I know Chad did 3-15kg after many hours of competition, in Europe... this (and the domination of those hard 45's) leads me to believe he could do 3-35's if he worked for it.. it would be a tremendous feat. I don't remember seeing it on video by anyone, but I could be wrong, if I am, please point me in the right direction :)