From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Big night again the crowd grows a bit each day. I hit top weights in lat pull down, curls coming back strong , squat is gone from a shakey 65 lbs to 350 last night . One arm rows again moved up with sets of 15 reps with the 134lb. Dumbbell. Goal is 25 reps. At the time following the accident I could NOT shut a trainer, curl OR one arm row a 15lb. Dumbbell. Progress since April has been slow but steady. I want to raw bench 300 with a pause and shut a number 3 once again in the very near future. The band pressing has my trunk solid and rotator group heal at an amazing rate. Working on a few new grip toys as well.

A good solid training session, diamond trap bar presses are up , 5 good sets of squats, lighter ,rep dumbbell rows , ab work standing and TNS gripper work. Worked up to some try's on the 3 but it still is going to be a long range goal. The 2.5 now goes down well right and left handed. We have a good many #2 grippers being used and tried in the facility. They all seem quite a bit different in difficulty. I might have to get Jed or Chris to check them even though they are not supposed to vary......hmmmm I just had a request to check out a new pinch plate holder in the shop! Good now the plates will be standing ready to use!

End to a solid training week,off to the woods. Used grip climbing deer stand ladders while carrying a pack rifle and assorted insulated gear resulting from a old snap. Got to enjoy the peace and quiet of sunrise in a swamp and watching nature do its thing. Turkeys , ducks , raccoons and charged up bucks chasing their intended chance for a next generation. Supper of big t bones , freh shot pheasant and THE best home fried potatoes( 6 of us ate 10lbs.) ever, reload energy and deload of mind and stress at the same !

This week will start on bench lower rep singles and plan on sharing a few secret old school workouts via. PM s. the adjustable plate pinch holder turned out really nice and will be brought to the grip area and used tonight. Ms D and the crew will be working the grippers to. The 2.5 should be put away fairly soon. Shoulders and arms are responding well to last weeks training . Standing band presses , trap bar presses, and Pops gripper side saddle choke pinches have brought me a long way.......

Solid training session. 5x5 bench 5x10 dumbbell press, standing band presses , abs standing with band, then grip. Started Ms D out with technique on circus dumbbell lift for her at the Arnold's ( she qualified for Strongwomen) and then we both went to grippers . I did TNS being ready to shut on voice command " go" each time from Ms. D. She then did regulation credit card closes both right and left hand alternating for a few sets with the 2. Solid closes. We went to doing the same with the 2.5 and came within 3/8 on both hands after legal start with "go "signal following. She is close! We used new pinch plate holder after that and it worked well stopping plates falling over.

A tip for grip guys in winter.....your pinch might seem to fall off a bit. DRINK More water and keep hands hydrated with non oily lotion and wash hands before pinching. Our natural grooves in our fingerprints flatten when dehydrated and the suction like natural ridges lower and let the iron slip in that condition.

• Like 1

Well I just found out will be a proud grandfather again and this time a girl.....with both parents all uncles and grandfathers well over 6' tall she might see an athletic field or platform one day.

I am sore a bit today all the new guys are really pushing and adding pounds and reps so I struggle to keep up. The key to a big lift or grip feat is the visualization factor. If you see the event in your mind all day you have already conquered it. The one arm dumbbell row has helped me to gain a lot of lost strength. I pushed the limit again last night and did a good tight set of 25 reps with 134lb dumbbell after4 sets of 10 with 100. Great for grip shoulder stabilization, and retraction balancing any pressing work done.

We all jumped on the plate pinch last night with the new holder being a hit having the plates being always in position "ready to go. " The 35s were lifted a bunch having one new employee a tough ex marine just haul them up. The man /monster Cyborg Lawson walked up and pinched the pair of York 35s with two fingers and thumb . No warmup, no chalk, never tried it before.....I saw him deadlift 700 for 17 total reps in one workout and when competing deadlift a car 21 reps. ( the straps broke so he finished last reps bare handed)

The cool weather and me feeling "somewhat back "it is a very happy time of the year for me.

Bugged out Friday afternoon to take a partial day of 34 years of saved vacation days. Sat in a absolute downpour with a a friend of 40 years( the best hunter I know) at one end of a swamp and me at the other. Old pride made us both stick it out while the young guns were at the hunt camp. Kind of like grip and lifting. Showing up and thinking on your feet is the biggest part. Wound up seeing deer every hunt and using the new equipment available other than these old eyes (the swarovision binos )gave me the ability to see my largest buck of the past half century. A second or two more window of opportunity and it would have been the trick....

Times and opportunities change and we must roll with them as with different team or batting order , BUT when established however then....

Sticking to a plan, modifying equipment or routine depending on your physical condition ,time restraints and personal safety is just how success comes together in any activity. You get what you give ........ready to hit it tonight with the crew refreshed to tear into some new grip equipment setups and methods. Small measures of success AND a long run.......you win.

Yep - it really is the journey and not the destination.

Last night the regulars piled in ,the music cranked up a bit and everyone went in their paired up or personal routines. Good weights lifted lots of concentration. I delight in seeing some of our employees getting strong every day on the very things they build. I did my singles day in my bench and creeped back up a bit closer to my present 300 raw with a pause goal at 285. Band and dumbbell press work with abs and cario to finish. ,Then, almost like a silent signal at the end of each diverse training session everyone started on the grippers first with some pretty nice credit card and TNS closes. Ms D and Adrian was just crushing the 2 with the card and Ms D did an easy same time I guess "pick them up and shut them " both hand shut of a pair of 2s!!!!!!!!!The 2.5 is just a fraction away. I tried the two handed TNS and got some smooth closes. We (a half dozen or so )by now went to plate pinches with Adrian and Joe Wilson just working away Joe was two finger and thumb pinching the 35s both right then left. Some went to blobs using various finger combinations We all finished in a round robin two hand anvil pinch rotated back and forth with our New Bedford Johnny Cake Hill cobblestone. About 43 lbs. everything from one finger and thumb deadlifts to snatches done with the chunk of history. Everyone was going at it !!!!!! About the time we rolled out the 4-5 10s for pinching skin started to split and about 8 called it a night. Grip is alive and well in SC.

Saw the pics of the cobblestone on Facebook. Looked awesome!

Like we needed a few more....but finished out the top row anvil storage area in the visitor grip area. Now the Anvil Chorus extends the full length of the rack! Moved another 800 lbs. of York globe dumbbells into the area as well. We moved additionaloverflow to some new storage area at production facility so plenty of good solid used barbell and grip equipment available for anyone swinging through the area. Thinking again about grip I wonder as I did with the first Blob ! just how heavy of a York globe dumbbell can be turned on end palmed pinch gripped and lifted? I think the lightest York Globe bell is a 50 so that will be a starting point. Ok......the big question ,can anyone find and successfully lift the 50 to get the ball rolling? Or is that even possible? Straight down grip no hooking fingers under bell or trying the 1000 ways to bypass gravity ......lets see what can be done!

This may be a dumb question but what is a palm pinched grip? are you saying it is ok to touch the palm on the Globe? Is this like palming a basketball? I would like to see a video of this feat. Seems that many could do this with a 50lb York globe but I must admit I am a novice in the Grip world. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Old globe ended York dumbbells started at 50 through 100 pounds. If you stood one on end and grasped it like picking up a ball it would be a great grip feat/test. I was wondering if 50 could even be done. More.....I don't know.

We have. Potential rare treat today. Two groups of WWE wrestlers are on their way to work out with us today. I know a few but it will be interesting to meet some new friends. If some like Mark Henry or John C are coming some grip toys might get more than moved a bit. Just got a call they were on the way over.

hope you film today; I would love to see them try the glob and see Mark henry lift the INCH again.

John was a real gentleman . Stretched quite a bit on rumble roller, and did full squat cleans and squat snatches. He had a 50 foot Star Wars looking rec bus vehicle outside with the motor running for over an hour. He Asked in a kind way if we could get a picture together in the history/grip area so he could tweet it to his friends. ( I don't know about stuff like that but my office people said he sent it to 5.5 million viewer friends). He has a really nice way about him and has learned a lot trading routines with Mark Henry his training partner. I was just honored for him to ask to visit and train with us. Another group is at the gym now from what I just heard. Mr. Cena bid a a farewell and will be on a jet and wrestling TONIGHT and for the next 24 days in Ireland. Working on another film too. Great guy that loves the iron. Today was fun.

Its a video of Dave lifting the 50# York globe by the end. I am not sure how to load the video. Maybe one of the others on the board can help out and load it?

Nice! I'd like to see both the Globe Dumbbell lift and the Glob (half globe) added to the GB Stat list. Unfortunately...much like "Blobs", these Globe Dumbbells are also difficult/expensive to acquire.