Need info on new feats...

Guest BrahmaBull

Guest BrahmaBull

Hey all, I'm a new kid here, Mr. Black referred me and this place is great! I have some experience with grip feats, but I was wondering if someone with experience on this subject could help me out. What I would REALLY like to start doing is breaking jack chain with my hands like Jowett mentions in Strong Man Stunts Made Easy. He never describes how to fold the chain, but I imagine it wouldnt be too difficult. I just have no idea how to perform the stunt. Can anyone help me out with the details?

Thanks and hello to everyone!  

Brent

Guest BrahmaBull

P.S. - What is the deal with the COC Grippers? How does one go about getting certified for closing the number three? I am about 1/4 inch from touching right now, but I never gave it much thought. I just kinda play with it now and then.  If there is some kind of certification thingie, I'd love to train for it and do it for the #### of it.  Thanks guys!

Re the chain breaking. You should still be able to buy Don Ross's 'MuscleBlasting' book. It has some tips and 'how to's' on strength feats etc at the rear of the book.

I had given thought to trying chainbreaking but can't find a source for the #6 or #8 jackchain. Is this the type you are looking for?  I've heard it described as a twisted, non-welded chain.

I bought some Jack chain last month to explode around my chest, a feat that I could not do!  I think it was #12 jack chain (They are twisted S-Links, not wielded, only about 3/32” thick, probably smaller than #8).  Anyway, I just wrapped the ends around both hands and pulled the links apart (with a cloth in each hand).  Nothing real exciting, nine of the links pulled apart about the same distance. When I let off on the tension the chain sort of disintegrated to the floor.

They didn’t bend quick enough to snap the chain open, which I guess would have been real exciting.  I’ll try to do that during my workout on Sunday, although I don’t have enough chain left to wrap around my hand.  I guess I’ll just hold on the ends real tight :)  Boy, I’m a real gripcoholic, I start reading about this stuff and I want to go try it immediately.  

I believe this feat was a favorite stunt of Alexander Zass, I’ll have to dig up a picture of him yanking his chain.

Guest BrahmaBull

Thanks for the info guys, i'm learing a lot already :)  I'll be starting my quest for the number three today. I only have one question, I have really stubby fingers for a guy my size.  My hands are the same size as most women. Is there a better way for me to train for a crushing grip then normal? Any different strategies?

P.S.-  I never knew Home Depot 60 penny nails are harder to bend then normal...  Thats all Ive ever used. Just go to the bin and buy some. I was wondering why I almost busted a nut the first time I bent one. lol Oh well.....

Just curious how you can buy a number 3 and yet not know the significance of closing it?  

Guest BrahmaBull

Wannagrip,

I bought mine in 96 at the ripe old age of 16 from a gripper bin at the local fitness store.  All I knew then was they looked like they were nicer then the other ones hanging on the wall. I saved up my allowance and bought the number one and number two first. It was always neat to take them to school and try to have impromptu contests between the jocks and I, cause none of them could close a number one. After screwing around with them for a little while, I could close the 2 for sets of 5.  I went to the store and got the number three just because I had been loving the progress I was making, my deadlift was never slipping out of my hads anymore. (big problem when I started lifting, pissed me off) So I started tinkering around with that, but in the mean time I got caught up in the Mighty Atom's biography (found an old harback signed copy at a local second hand store, great luck I tell ya). I basically gave up on the grippers and started doing hand feats (cause frankly, levering a hammer or bending a horseshoe is wayyy cooler then closing a gripper) and to this day I havent really given it much thought. I dont have a subscription to Milo or anything, so I had no idea. I just assumed it was no big deal cause I was almost closing the thing when I was 17. So there's my life story. lol    

BB,

What was the name of the store and where exactly?  I have some friends that live in your area and I wouldn't mind picking up an extra gripper (even to give to a friend where I live now) if it was used.

Thanks!

Most fitness stores that I am familiar with sell equipment to commercial gyms and universities. One store that sells an assortment of grippers and other grip toys is sorinex. I would not call this a "fitness store" because Richard Sorin sells serious equipment as opposed to fernland accessories.

Re those of you with stubby or short fingers and the gripper closures. Rather than get into a long-winded and over boring discussion re leverage advantages and so on I will tell you something I have seen.

ALL, I repeat, ALL of those of us who have shut the COC 1, 2 or 3 position the gripper in the closing hand with the other. On Joe Kinney's 'Get a grip' you will see him partially shut the COC 4 with his other hand so that his fingers 'get around' the handles. Then they are allowed to spread a little before power and effort is applied. So, based on leverages, you actually have it better.

Wannagrip touched on something I feel is very importent. Believe you will shut it - focus on applying sheer balls all out effort. Do this twice a week max and leave it alone the rest of the time.

Here, for those of you who are interested in my routine - such as it is (changed as from this week to allow me to prep for DH's comp):

Monday: Squat, Bench, Nautilus Pullovers, abs

Tuesdays: COC Grippers.

Weds: Rest

Thurs:Press, Curls, Dips, Abs

Fri: Rest

Sat: TH db deadlft, RThunder.

Sun: Rest

Do not make the mistake of picking the babies up every five mins no matter how tempting, but DO give your all when you do.

Thats it bye!

(Edited by mobsterone at 11:29 am on Mar. 24, 2001)

Guest BrahmaBull

Ooh, good stuff about the small hands, thanks a lot!   As far as the gripper goes, I bought mine at "THe Fitness Headquarters" in Wilkes Barre, Pa.  They have them all, and quite a few odds and ends for real lifters. That have been promoting Powerlifting in the area since the immortal John Kuc ran the place. (Now he makes doughnuts at his shop about a block from my house... how's that for good location? lol)  They have stores in Dickson City PA (Scranton) and Vestal New York.  I know that Musclemag in Scranton has some grippers too, but they are more inclined to sell pansy crap like spandex half shirts and crap.  The grippers are 20-25 bucks at both of the places, and the green Ironman gripper is like ุ. I just heard on the radio that the infamous Greg Kovacs will be doing a guest appearance at TFH today... I will drop by to see if he can close the number two...     i'm taking bets, my money is on "not". lol  Later guys- Brent