Different Grip Technique For Smaller Hands ?

shartak

Hi !

I've started training with gripper recently, but right now I'm still struggling with COC #2. At my last workout, the thought that maybe I use a bad technique crossed my mind, so I invested some time in Youtube.

The videos of Paul Knight and Jedd Johnson opened my eyes and I had to realize that my technique really sucks!!

My hands are 7 7/4'' large, but I have difficulties of setting the gripper the way they do, so I was wondering if maybe someone with roughly the same hand size has any advice for me. Maybe if the gripper needs to be set closer to the thumb or anything like that.

Any advice is appreciated :)

But seriously, if you mean to say your hands are anything less than 8", no problem in the set.

Do realize that Paul and Jedd have larger than average size hands too. As do I-but it never interferes with the set unless you've got some crazy big hands.

Ok, now that I have proved that I'm a math idiot, let my crarify this^^ My hands are average, they measure 19,5 cm, which should be 7,7inches*g*

Let's hope my grip will improves better than my math did over the years..

My hands are very close to the same size as yours. I am about 7-5/8". I never had much of a thumb pad either. The thing that worked really well for me was to train on filed grippers with a slightly compromised handle position. Meaning the gripper was not in the absolute optimal position in the palm, but not really in a "bad" position either. This effectively makes your hand a little "bigger" because you can get more fingers on the gripper earlier. For max attempts, I would then do my best to set the gripper as in Paul's video. This gave me a lot of power for an MMS close because the range of motion would fall well within where my hand was trained and I could make the most of a good set.

You can set like Paul with practice, especially if you're any more sturdy than I am. If you have any wrist strength or a 200+ bench press, then you can set grippers like Paul. I could do it with grippers up to about the Elite and I have puny wrists and barely adequate full body power. On heavy grippers, it was admittedly very taxing on my left wrist and shoulder.

CCS is really rough for your hand size. At the CCS width, the tip of my ring finger was barely on the handle and pinky is nowhere near. I have an especially short pinky and could not wrap it until I have closed the gripper to about parallel with 2 and 3 fingers.

Another notable gripster with hands about this size is TEEMU. I'm not sure what happened, but Teemu's channel on Youtube now has 0 videos. :(

Here is my channel if you want to watch any of my gripper vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/grippopotamus

my hands are also a bit less than 8". i am not great at grippers but once i got better at setting, my closes got bigger. the only way i got better was by doing it a lot. i would take a gripper to work and do 50-100 of reps throughout the day. that may have helped a bit on my strength but i know it helped a lot on my technique. pick one day a week and get real good at setting and closing your #1 throughout that day. you will get a feel for it pretty quick.

Thanks for the advice! :)

To egt it clear, a filed gripper is a gripper where the diameter of the handles has been decreased ?

Ok, now that I have proved that I'm a math idiot, let my crarify this^^ My hands are average, they measure 19,5 cm, which should be 7,7inches*g*

Let's hope my grip will improves better than my math did over the years..

I really don't get where people are getting these big ass hands from... sub 49/7 inches

BOOM

gallery_10117_623_23872.jpg

that is beautiful btw, how do people get such a pretty and accurate file? maybe a new revenue possibility? gripper + file + rating...or file and rating of already owned grippers. just thoughts.

Edited by bubba29

This one is one of Bill's grippers, if I remember correctly.

I have one I've filed to a similar accuracy. It took an hour or more to get it that smooth. It's all patience.