One-handed Rt Pull-up

jchapman

One of our students in a strength training class just tried a RT pullup one-handed. I brought in my RT handle today because this guy can rep out one-handed chins on a regular pull-up bar. He is a climber and said his hands were sore from a climbing session yesterday. He thinks he can get a more strict, fuller range of motion RT pull-up next time. I think it looks pretty good.

• Like 3

Nice. That's a badass feat anyway you cut it. And yet he says it wasn't good enough. Haha

That is awesome. You gotta introduce him to some more grip equipment.

Tell him next time, he's gotta do It with the hub.

Yeah, a one-handed hub pull-up would really be something!

About five minutes before, I introduced him to the COC #1. He couldn't close it, even with chalk and a set. His strength is in his fingertips in an open-hand position. I think I will bring in the IM Hub next.

Guest Squat More

Damn strong, as a fan of anything rolling thunder related, I say HELL YEAH! to that kid.

Definitely get him pulling on the RT and using the hub.

About five minutes before, I introduced him to the COC #1. He couldn't close it, even with chalk and a set. His strength is in his fingertips in an open-hand position. I think I will bring in the IM Hub next.

Doesn't surprise me. The first time I heard about the IM grippers (2002-2003) is when one of the strongest local climbers I knew apparently struggled with the #1.5 (if memory serves me right - this was a story relayed to me). His contact strength on the rock was amazing, but he struggled with the gripper! Heck, all us climbers struggled with these "new" fangled grippers at the climbing shop ... at least I did. This is what got me interested in these specialized products. I acquired an IM gripper (trainer - I could barely close it), RT, Hub, Pinch Block and loading pin shortly thereafter.

For reference ... here he is years ago:

Haha, his grip was solid. It just looked like the chin up was the hard part. Very impressive no matter which way it's cut. He's gotta begood for well over double BW on the axle too.

Doesn't surprise me. The first time I heard about the IM grippers (2002-2003) is when one of the strongest local climbers I knew apparently struggled with the #1.5 (if memory serves me right - this was a story relayed to me). His contact strength on the rock was amazing, but he struggled with the gripper! Heck, all us climbers struggled with these "new" fangled grippers at the climbing shop ... at least I did. This is what got me interested in these specialized products. I acquired an IM gripper (trainer - I could barely close it), RT, Hub, Pinch Block and loading pin shortly thereafter.

For reference ... here he is years ago:

its just crushing vs supporting strength. i remember the day when i couldnt close my Trainer fresh out of the packet. i dont own a #1 either, i have the #1.5, and i needed to use a jubilee clip (Hose clamp) to negatives, then eventually get reps..

when my supporting grip was at its best, i also struggled with the #1.5. i never used towels, thick bars, the rolling thunder or anything like that to train supporting grip, instead i just used my plate loaded gripper for 15-40 reps training to failure. and i would do that in a day on-day off fashion. after about 8 months of doing tihs i must have built some good finger strength, because my forearms went massive and i could latch onto the dumbbells in the gym as if they were toys. i can quite clearly remember my grip being handle bigger weights than my low back.

i have stopped training with this gripper since, i think the fact that i had such a big muscle imbalance between my flexors and extensors is what caused problems with my left tricep. i could feel pain, knots and muscle tension in the area but i just ignored it.

like i said at the start of the post, its just crushing vs supporting grip. i would prefer to have a good supporting grip, just because it carries over better to real life. but when i train supporting, my tricep gets irritated.

EDIT: good post! solid strength on that one hand pull up.

Edited by alexjones234
  • Like 1