Noob Questions

Grip_noob

Started bending recently... It's pretty pricy to get stuff sent from the states since I'm located in Denmark, so I'm just trying out stuff I can find in a hardware store. Think I will swing by a blacksmith in the recent future.

Like everyone else just starting out I want to know were I'm approximately at, so I searched this forum and found some different ratings of stock. I have some questions though: If a bolt is threaded all the way, will it have approximately the same strength as a round bar that have the minor diameter of the thread or will it be stronger?

Will a galvanized piece of steel be stronger than a non galvanized piece of steel of the same diameter and length and is there any empiric approximation to this, like a galvanized will be roughly 10% stronger than a non galvanized or something like that?

I know you have stated that it will be expensive to import from the US (I'm in a similar situation living in the UK), however, in my opinion, the best place to start is with ironmind nails. The reason for this is that you will know where you lie, as you will have a standardised reference point to work from, and can buy further stock to suit your needs. Alternatively, I believe that FBBC (Fat Bastard Barbell Company) sell 'bending bags' for both amateur and advanced benders, and in my experience they are very good with shipping costs (better than Ironmind I find).

As you're a beginner, you could find some good sized nails from a hardware store, around 120mm-150mm long, with a decent thickness, and it they are too easy, try bending a couple together. this would probably be the cheapest way to do it, through it's harder to compare to other bending stock.

Edit: I just realised that my response doesn't answer your questions, but I thought I should give some ideas, since I have a similar issue. Galvanised steel will be stronger, however it depends on the composition of the steel to begin with.

I know you have stated that it will be expensive to import from the US (I'm in a similar situation living in the UK), however, in my opinion, the best place to start is with ironmind nails. The reason for this is that you will know where you lie, as you will have a standardised reference point to work from, and can buy further stock to suit your needs. Alternatively, I believe that FBBC (Fat Bastard Barbell Company) sell 'bending bags' for both amateur and advanced benders, and in my experience they are very good with shipping costs (better than Ironmind I find).

As you're a beginner, you could find some good sized nails from a hardware store, around 120mm-150mm long, with a decent thickness, and it they are too easy, try bending a couple together. this would probably be the cheapest way to do it, through it's harder to compare to other bending stock.

Edit: I just realised that my response doesn't answer your questions, but I thought I should give some ideas, since I have a similar issue. Galvanised steel will be stronger, however it depends on the composition of the steel to begin with.

Thanks for the answer. I have sent FBBC an email asking for the shipment cost of a bender's bag, but think ordering directly from Ironmind is simply too expensive. My guess is that seeing a local blacksmith is the way to go at the moment, since I have bent anything in my range in the hardware store. Next thing there is a 10mm bolt and no way I have a chance at that.

Bought some threaded rod (M5, M6 and M8) and cut them to 7", 6" and 5" lengths, which was why I wondered how threaded compared to non threaded rod. Those are made of hotrolled steel that is electro-galvanized. The biggest nails they had was 160mm 5,5mm square nails with a thick galvanized layer on them.

Thanks for the answer. I have sent FBBC an email asking for the shipment cost of a bender's bag, but think ordering directly from Ironmind is simply too expensive. My guess is that seeing a local blacksmith is the way to go at the moment, since I have bent anything in my range in the hardware store. Next thing there is a 10mm bolt and no way I have a chance at that.

Bought some threaded rod (M5, M6 and M8) and cut them to 7", 6" and 5" lengths, which was why I wondered how threaded compared to non threaded rod. Those are made of hotrolled steel that is electro-galvanized. The biggest nails they had was 160mm 5,5mm square nails with a thick galvanized layer on them.

i sent FBBC an email asking for a price of shipping to the UK but they never got back to me. and you are right, buying directly from ironmind or pullumsports (online UK retailer that sells ironmind equipment) is just too expensive. a good investment would be to get David Hornes Wrist Developer. as many will tell you, its great for volume bending, save money on steel in the long run, and it will make your wrists strong. its my favourite training tool right now.

as for buying steel i cant really recommend anywhere... im in the same boat. as far as i know, theres nowhere i can pick it up locally. i went to Selko and bought some Nails (150mm x 6.00mm) they had galvanized and non-galvanized, i got the non-galvanized because i was told their no different in strength, and the only difference was the galvanized didnt rust.. so i bought the cheapest ones. i doubt theres too much difference, just get an easy nail to practice your technique. if its too easy bend some more for volume.