Training For Grip Nationals 2013

EricMilfeld

How many calories are you consuming in one day Eric?

I am at around 1,500/day but today is my 'eating' day so it will be closer to 4,000.

I was 172.2 this morning btw.

I don't feel lethargic at all I must admit. In fact I feel much better on a diet as I have cut down heavily on refined sugars. I eat mostly nuts (like you), protein bars, a couple of whole grain pumpernickel slices and fatty fish (eg salmon). My wife force me to eat the odd vegeable as well.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

How's the back, Eric?

My back feels great. In fact, I intend to go after the USAPL American raw deadlift record at 165 in my age division. It stands at 518.

How many calories are you consuming in one day Eric?

I am at around 1,500/day but today is my 'eating' day so it will be closer to 4,000.

I was 172.2 this morning btw.

I don't feel lethargic at all I must admit. In fact I feel much better on a diet as I have cut down heavily on refined sugars. I eat mostly nuts (like you), protein bars, a couple of whole grain pumpernickel slices and fatty fish (eg salmon). My wife force me to eat the odd vegeable as well.

I'm not at all anal about counting the calories, but roughly about 1000 to 1300. It's funny, but I can be dragging at work for twelve hours and then come home and find some supernatural energy reserve for my workouts and then catch a post-workout high.

Yeah, salmon is good. I've got a big box of it in the freezer I will breaking into soon.

Just now:

Deadlifts

488x2

Wooden Pinch Block (I can do 10 to 20 pounds more on Euro)

-worked up to a 206.7 single

-tried Blobs, but thumb skin still too torn up

Grippers 20 mm Block Set

Right

- 159 missed by a sixteenth

-no set 134 (ground handles)

Left

- 134! Very happy to get this as the last time I shut it I was nearly 200 pounds

2.75" Revolving Handle (handle weight not included)

Left

115x3

110x7

Right

115x1

110x3

3.5oz tuna with salsa

banana

carrot

peanut butter Cliff Bar

6oz v-8

4oz. almonds, peanuts, walnuts, dried cherries

two spoonfulls of honey

protein powder

12 oz. sugar-free Red Bull

I guess training gives you that 'runner's high' experience :) I like my work, but I never look forward to it as to training in my garage...

Are you doing all this just for the comp and then letting it go? Still, strong deadlifts!

I guess training gives you that 'runner's high' experience :) I like my work, but I never look forward to it as to training in my garage...

Are you doing all this just for the comp and then letting it go? Still, strong deadlifts!

I intend to weigh no more than 170 post contest, and continue to compete at 163. Famous last words! I have a habit of changing my mind.

And thanks! Deadlifts are affected much less by my weight loss than are pushing movements and squats.

• Like 1

Body weight: 177.8

- ran a mile as fast as I could: 6:34

bowl of Uncle Sam cereal with soy milk

half scoop of protein powder

two bowls of pinto beans

collard greens

onion slices

banana

6oz. V-8

7oz. salmon

- 50 shoulder width push ups til chest touched a 1 3/4" brick

Body weight: 178.6

- ran a 400 in 71 seconds

-` then jogged 2 miles

1.5 scoops protein powder

banana

6oz. cod

6oz. V-8

handfull of walnuts

peanut butter Cliff Bar

Body weight: 176.8

Content with my rate of weight loss. Dealing with the tendency of this rate to diminish as I get closer to my goal weight will be the fun part.

You are soon overtaking me. I was 171.7 this morning.

Body weight: 176.8

Content with my rate of weight loss. Dealing with the tendency of this rate to diminish as I get closer to my goal weight will be the fun part.

protein powder

carrot

2 tiny oranges

peanut butter Cliff Bar

12 oz. V-8

4oz. peanuts, almonds, walnuts, dried cherries

7oz. tuna with salsa

Body weight: 177.0

-jogged for twenty minutes

My resting heart rate is now 48, whereas it was low 60s when I weighed closer to 200. A little bit of running and better diet apparently made a significant impact.

2 scoops protein powder

2 spoonfuls honey

granny smith apple

4oz. walnuts, peanuts, almonds

6oz. V-8

Body weight: 176.0

Pinch Block

191.4 x2

Axle

334.1 x1

334.1 x1

Blob50

3 singles righty (one was facing difficult direction)

couldn't get it lefty (skin still a bit tender)

Wrist Roller

165x1 (in 25 seconds)

Hands felt extremely dry tonight, which wasn't helping things. But I'm also starting to feel a strength deficit from the weight loss.

2 scoops protein powder

6oz. V-8

can of mustard greens

granny smith apple

2.5oz. walnuts and peanuts

peanut butter Cliff Bar

2 tablespoons of honey

sugar-free Red Bull

Body weight: 175.6

Also did hammer curls for 4 reps with 54 before I went to bed.

Grippers

Right

- missed both the 155 and 151 with a block set

- no-set my 134 twice

Left

112x6 passing block through on each rep

missed the 134 with a block set

thin handle Grand Master x4

134x1 parallel set

134x1 parallel set

25# plate wrist curls

Right 17 reps

Left 11 reps

Hammers

Right

17x1

17x1

Left

12x3

12x3

Felt strong on hammers today. Grippers were probably hurt by the wrist roller I did before bed last night.

Just got home from work and enacted revenge on that gripper from earlier today:

- 151x1 (20mm block set)

7oz. tuna with salsa

1.5 scoops protein powder

tablespoon of honey

small carrot

granny smith apple

6oz. V-8

2.5oz. peanuts and walnuts

4oz. cod with garlic

4 tiny brussel sprouts

body weight: 175.0

I've now become much more particular and precise with regards to what I'm eating, and it seems to be paying off. Very happy with my rate of weight loss... still. If I can continue to lose weight at a similar rate without running I will do so from here on out. Also, for the most part now I seem to be adapting to the restricted calories, although I do occasionally get a bout of slight light headedness and lethargy. Definitely an extreme diet, for me especially, cuz I love to eat.

155# plate rim lifts (shallow rimmed 100 pound plates)

right

x1

x1

x1

left

x1

x1

x0

243# one arm olympic bar deadlifts (no knurling)

right

x1

x0

x1

left

x1

x1

x1

You are definitely closing the gap. I was 171.1 this morning. I have increased my food intake as I was loosing weight a bit too quickly I thought (2 lbs/week). I did this by having two mayo/chicken burgers at MCD instead of one for lunch. :) I look forward to the competition in the 74k class. Should be really good as we are close in strength. You are ahead of me in the axle and 2HP (I am working hard on the latter though) whereas I might be ahead of you in the 1HP and grippers.

I've now become much more particular and precise with regards to what I'm eating, and it seems to be paying off. Very happy with my rate of weight loss... still. If I can continue to lose weight at a similar rate without running I will do so from here on out. Also, for the most part now I seem to be adapting to the restricted calories, although I do occasionally get a bout of slight light headedness and lethargy. Definitely an extreme diet, for me especially, cuz I love to eat.

You are definitely closing the gap. I was 171.1 this morning. I have increased my food intake as I was loosing weight a bit too quickly I thought (2 lbs/week). I did this by having two mayo/chicken burgers at MCD instead of one for lunch. :) I look forward to the competition in the 74k class. Should be really good as we are close in strength. You are ahead of me in the axle and 2HP (I am working hard on the latter though) whereas I might be ahead of you in the 1HP and grippers.

Indeed. Competition is what it's all about. I'm very pleased there are at least four of us competing in this weight class at Nationals. Probably within two weeks I will have caught up to your lighter body weight. My plan is to require no more than three pounds of weight to be shed 24 hours prior to the contest. Oh, and look for Michael Hann to beat his current world record of 146 on grippers at Nationals. And his left is equally as strong. He should pull over 300 on axle and is capable of a 180 pinch on a good day.

2.5 scoops protein powder

2 tablespoons honey

can of spinach (to promote some forearm growth)

granny smith apple

small carrot

6oz. V-8

sugar free 12oz. Red Bull

3.5oz. tuna with salsa

I think my biggest advantage, if I have any in the 74k class, will be that I always, with no exception, have a good day when I compete. I am quite a bit stronger in competition than I am in training. I will need every bit of advantage though given how weak I still am in the axle (pulled 132.5k today).

Oh, and look for Michael Hann to beat his current world record of 146 on grippers at Nationals. And his left is equally as strong. He should pull over 300 on axle and is capable of a 180 pinch on a good day.

2.5 scoops protein powder

2 tablespoons honey

can of spinach (to promote some forearm growth)

granny smith apple

small carrot

6oz. V-8

sugar free 12oz. Red Bull

3.5oz. tuna with salsa