How Many Of You Guys Believe Will Ever Close Coc#4 ?

LebaneseChampion

I read a quote today from Bruce Lee that sums up nicely what Bill has initially said concerning this thread.

Bruce Lee said concerning goals:

"A goal is not always meant to be reached. It often serves simply as something to aim at"

Perfect!!! :)

• Like 2

I think everyone who has started with grippers has looked to the next level as a huge jump. At first, thinking... I'll never get this.

But as time go's by, you do get it. Then it's on to the next one... Same as before.

I think if you look too far ahead of yourself, you can get frustrated, rushing things, training grip everyday! Hurting yourself in the process.

It's nice to have a goal, but if you're closing a no.2 the no.4 is a dream. Only as you get closer, does it become a goal.

It truly is one of the greatest feats of strength that can be done. The ccs has made this a monster! But what would we look for next?

I wish everyone the best with this goal. If you cert or not, it would be a very proud moment in your life. And your friends will shit every time you close it for them. :)

Having spent the time grinding from roughly the 130'ish range up to the 180'ish range, it's been a tough journey. Any of the guys that are closing MM3's, BBE's, RB300's, #3.5s and GHP lvl 8's will all say the same.

I've read somewhere that you begin to peak with hand strength around the 170's and everything above that is well-earned and hard fought! Just think if you do peak at say 175...you still have to get up to the 210'ish range. Hang out at 175 for a few months, finally close 178, might have closed 182, smashed 185, 188 is stagnant, take a break and come back to smash 188...you get my drift. Just imagine the nightmare from 190-200...

If injury, boredom, or bigger and better things don't get the best of you, then maybe a #4 close is in the cards for you.

• Like 3

I think everyone who has started with grippers has looked to the next level as a huge jump. At first, thinking... I'll never get this.

But as time go's by, you do get it. Then it's on to the next one... Same as before.

I think if you look too far ahead of yourself, you can get frustrated, rushing things, training grip everyday! Hurting yourself in the process.

It's nice to have a goal, but if you're closing a no.2 the no.4 is a dream. Only as you get closer, does it become a goal.

It truly is one of the greatest feats of strength that can be done. The ccs has made this a monster! But what would we look for next?

I wish everyone the best with this goal. If you cert or not, it would be a very proud moment in your life. And your friends will shit every time you close it for them. :)

1++

You have right my friend! I am 16 years old and have closed the coc#3 20 mm block and i WILL close the #4. I do not care how hard it is. It is going to get closed.

to hopefully motivate others, here is a list of all the guys who have closed a #4 with atleast a parallel set.

in no particular order:

1. Kinney

2. Morton

3. Heslep

4. Samuelsson

5. Holle

6. Struse

7. Juha

8. Vogt

9. Sexton

10. Dale

11. Knight

12. Savage

13. Edgin

14. Corcorran

15. Gardner

16. Durniat

17. Mcgranahan

18. Sum

19. Puscasu

20. Arildsson

and Teemu and Woodall, i think?

(forgive me if i left someone out)

...and i like to think that i can do (with dedication) what 20 other men have already done. ;)

>also the person under 'handgripperman

'.

thanks bro. ..i was wondering if i missed a gripster or two.

I believe that would be Kevin Bussi.

Yes. Handgripperman is Kevin Bussi. I knew he was close, but didn't know he had closed one.

Maybe some old veterans know whether or not David Erives, aka Gorilla Hands on the Board, had closed a 4 using a deep set. I can't figure out how to read all of someone's real old posts, so I couldn't tell.

>also the person under 'handgripperman

'.

thanks bro. ..i was wondering if i missed a gripster or two.

I believe that would be Kevin Bussi.

Yes. Handgripperman is Kevin Bussi. I knew he was close, but didn't know he had closed one.

Maybe some old veterans know whether or not David Erives, aka Gorilla Hands on the Board, had closed a 4 using a deep set. I can't figure out how to read all of someone's real old posts, so I couldn't tell.

Yes, he was going to perform his cert, than they bought in the new rules.

Here's one of his attempts back in 2003:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album123/aah

Since we're talking here about who could certify, or who closed a #4 even if it was 10 years ago.... just for fun (because this is an internet forum, right? so fun is the priority! :D) allow me to introduce some of you to this guy.

Nick Zinna: farmer and, at times, armwrestler.

Ever since seeing a video on ArmTV about him and his farm on how he lost weight (he used to be quite fat) and his views on life and the like, I became a fan of the guy, even if to this day I've never talked to him. Anyways, at a grip contest were Josh Dale was, and perhaps Ben Edwards was there too, he tried a CCS of a #3.5 while seated on a couch, AFTER doing the contest. It looked so casual for him, and he nailed it.... that it really stuck in my mind forever. I can't help thinking that if this guy went after the #4 and became as obsessed as some gripboard members, he could do it. I just doubt grippers are his top priority. Here's the video.

Since we're talking here about who could certify, or who closed a #4 even if it was 10 years ago.... just for fun (because this is an internet forum, right? so fun is the priority! :D) allow me to introduce some of you to this guy.

Ever since seeing a video on ArmTV about him and his farm on how he lost weight (he used to be quite fat) and his views on life and the like, I became a fan of the guy, even if to this day I've never talked to him. Anyways, at a grip contest were Josh Dale was, and perhaps Ben Edwards was there too, he tried a CCS of a #3.5 while seated on a couch, AFTER doing the contest. It looked so casual for him, and he nailed it.... that it really stuck in my mind forever. I can't help thinking that if this guy went after the #4 and became as obsessed as some gripboard members, he could do it. I just doubt grippers are his top priority. Here's the video.

I read that he had actually done it 3x before that attempt also all while sitting on the coach-within 2 minutes- Crazy! I was reading that clay edgin closed a coc #4 within one year of touching grippers, some guys are gifted for sure.

Honestly, I'd hate to think guys were racing each other to be the first! 1st or 500th...CCS'ing a #4 commands huge respect from gripsters...

• Like 2

I read that he had actually done it 3x before that attempt also all while sitting on the coach-within 2 minutes- Crazy! I was reading that clay edgin closed a coc #4 within one year of touching grippers, some guys are gifted for sure.

Clay Edgin definitely gifted...knocked out lots of grip feats and yes #4 within a year of touching grippers :bow:bow

• 9 years later...
On 3/29/2013 at 10:13 PM, Mikael Siversson said:

I will never close a #4. All I need to do to know that is looking at my progression curve.

I'm thinking the same way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I will.

I'd bet on Jayland.

I know I won't ever close a 4, but I have closed (MMS) two 3.5s, and that is more than I ever expected.  It took a long, long time to get there though, and I feel like it is at the limit of my body's ability, and I'm 54 this month, and I don't intend to make chasing the 4 any kind of goal.  So no, I won't ever close it.  I'll silver bullet the heck out of a few of them though ...

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I won't proclaim any unreasonable goals for myself. I have genetic potential, and a strong will. I also take things patiently, cautiously, and avoid injuries at all costs. I'm just getting started with grippers, as well as bodybuilding and weight training. I have no idea what my maximum potential is, as I'm still in the newbie gains phase with all of these.

I have no doubts about certifying on the 3 and maybe even the 3.5 - I will be aiming for that at a minimum. Whether or not the 4 is in the cards for me, only time will tell. But you better believe I'm going to try. Give me 10 years of consistent and effective/safe training, and I see myself mashing at least a light CoC 4 once in my life.

• Like 3

I'm going to start messing with grippers again to balance out my training... But right now i don't have the desire, i'd like to get a 3 down some day, but grippers don't do much for me personally.. But in order to be successful you must believe in yourself. So yes I believe I could if I trained hard enough. 

• Like 1

Nope, I'm never closing the 4.

I'll be happy to close a 2.5, which among the modern male populace would represent a far above average grip strength.

Just started focusing on it after reaching the 2 a couple of years ago, then basically quitting grippers. I think 1 to 2 took me about five months. 

Progress is being seen at a reasonable rate and I've no idea when it will slow down. In about three weeks of minimal (yet focused) training I've seen the gap close by about 2cm, and there's 1 to 1.5cm left.

If I can close the 2.5 once, I'm confident that in time I can rep it. So a 3 may possibly be in reach one day, but I have my doubts. 

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 3

I will never close a #4 CCS or even block set. MMS: huge maybe, parallel choked: fore sure, no doubt. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 5:26 AM, Gripperer said:

Nope, I'm never closing the 4.

I'll be happy to close a 2.5, which among the modern male populace would represent a far above average grip strength.

Just started focusing on it after reaching the 2 a couple of years ago, then basically quitting grippers. I think 1 to 2 took me about five months. 

Progress is being seen at a reasonable rate and I've no idea when it will slow down. In about three weeks of minimal (yet focused) training I've seen the gap close by about 2cm, and there's 1 to 1.5cm left.

If I can close the 2.5 once, I'm confident that in time I can rep it. So a 3 may possibly be in reach one day, but I have my doubts. 

I admire your honesty. Occasionally I see a new gripster begin the sport full of p*ss and vinegar with goals that require borderline divine intervention. They usually quickly get knocked down to reality. Don't get me wrong it's great they're such go getters but when the conversation isn't about certing the 3 rather the 4 and potentially the GHP 10 I laugh to myself and think they'll wake up from the dream soon enough 😁

I think we can surprise ourselves and who knows maybe you not only cert the 3 but reach the GHP 8 cert with the 38mm block set. I can now confidently say when we start talking 200+ rgc type certs an athlete requires extremely good genetics just to start. Possibly elite genetics when getting well into the 200's rgc. Big to huge hands with optimal finger length to palm ratio. The whole nine really lol. Also probably will need to be very strong overall and likely have a decent bodyweight(yes Ivan is an exception but even then he isn't small). Also to clarify I'm not talking about silver bullet or choker heavy rgc. Rather the actual certs with a credit card or minimal width of 38mm only using upper body to set also. 

I think Jay certainly has the potential because he probably checks alot of the right boxes. Also I agree with @Jared P might as well aim high because we can surprise ourselves with how far we go. Even "only certing the 3" is a huge deal in itself imo for us mere mortals. That's why we should keep trying. I'd rather close a 150 rgc then lay on the couch and close a 50 rgc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I admire your honesty. Occasionally I see a new gripster begin the sport full of p*ss and vinegar with goals that require borderline divine intervention. They usually quickly get knocked down to reality. Don't get me wrong it's great they're such go getters but when the conversation isn't about certing the 3 rather the 4 and potentially the GHP 10 I laugh to myself and think they'll wake up from the dream soon enough 😁

I think we can surprise ourselves and who knows maybe you not only cert the 3 but reach the GHP 8 cert with the 38mm block set. I can now confidently say when we start talking 200+ rgc type certs an athlete requires extremely good genetics just to start. Possibly elite genetics when getting well into the 200's rgc. Big to huge hands with optimal finger length to palm ratio. The whole nine really lol. Also probably will need to be very strong overall and likely have a decent bodyweight(yes Ivan is an exception but even then he isn't small). Also to clarify I'm not talking about silver bullet or choker heavy rgc. Rather the actual certs with a credit card or minimal width of 38mm only using upper body to set also. 

I think Jay certainly has the potential because he probably checks alot of the right boxes. Also I agree with @Jared P might as well aim high because we can surprise ourselves with how far we go. Even "only certing the 3" is a huge deal in itself imo for us mere mortals. That's why we should keep trying. I'd rather close a 150 rgc then lay on the couch and close a 50 rgc. 

I agree, really i'd be happy just to close a 3 someday..  I doubt i'll ever go higher and I really doubt i i'll ever close a 4. But like you said you do have to aim high.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Good post. With slightly below average wrist circumference and hand length, I have to be realistic. But by training smart and more importantly, learning to ENJOY the process (which isn't hard, this stuff is fun), I am happy that I can be in the top 2% of "guys just walking down the street."

EDIT: just realised I can like my own posts! I'm onto a winner!

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Grippers are a "skill" as much as a strength feat and setting strength and skill are at least as important as raw horse power.  Back when I had grippers choked to parallel at The Gripmas Carol I closed a 192.8# gripper two years in a row and later a #4 of Heath's rated at 195# - and yet my best mms and block set closes were 156#.  But I freely admit I never trained grippers and my "setting" was the cause of much laughter over the years.  Don't know what that might actually mean as to my "potential" but my "stupid" strength far outpaced my skill.  And both outpaced my interest!

I closed a #2 first time I saw one and probably could have closed an easy 2.5 if they were being made back then.

• Like 7