How Many Of You Guys Believe Will Ever Close Coc#4 ?

LebaneseChampion

if you do, then how long do you think it will take you?

i am not asking this for me, just asking to see your expectations.

Thanks

• Like 1

I will.

I don't know how long it will take, but: it's been done before, which to me shows that it's possible, and that's all I need to know.

• Like 1

If I continue training like I am then I will close it within the next 2-4 years.

Edited by hellswindstaff
  • Like 2

I agree with the guys above, tho I think it might take more than 4 years.

It took me 2 years training on and off before I closed coc3.

Now that I've found what really works for me (I've tried everything for grippers except grippermachines) it might go a bit faster than it did before.

I will close coc4 one day, of that Im certain!

• Like 1

I don't believe I ever will. I am 38 years old and have trained grippers for 2.5 years, and I have closed the #3 only a few times from a 1" set, never able to get it on video. I am determined to become MM0, and am focused on that goal. Once I achieve that, I am going to foucs on the Red Nail. I could see someday having the goal to achieve a COC # 3 certification, and that would take a whole lot of focused training and attention. If I were to achieve that, I don't see myself having the will, desire, and time commitment necessary to achieve a #4 close.

I don't believe I will not ever close a #4.

Even if it was a goal of mine I don't think I could get it accomplished for numerous reasons

of which I don't have time to list.

I further believe more than half of those that believe they will, will not succeed. Not to be negative but there's so many

factors that get overlooked on such a monumental goal/task.

I wish nothing but the BEST to those that have such a goal!!!

Good Luck!!!

I think in a few years I could close a easy #4 low 200lb range with a deep set-not saying I will injuries are always possible or life could get in the way-

I know this is possible since several grip guys have closed this with a deep set. I'm not that far from a 180ish+ tsg gripper right now so realistically 20lbs doesn't seem impossible if I figure out a proper way to specialize my training around grippers.

I still feel there are smarter ways to train with grippers that we haven't figured out yet so as people begin to experiment with training ideas we might see a program that works really well where more people can get to the 200lb range.

Now certifying on a new #4 I don't know about that I think that is more likely for someone genetically inclined for gripper strength-someone like Jonathan Vogt who closed a #3 first time and progressed to #4 with mm set quickly.-.

Though I still like to believe its possible given the right training methods for yourself. I don't like to set limits on myself I feel it hinders progress in general when your mental outlook is negative. I know its possible and has been done before which is all I need. .

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 6

Even if it was a goal of mine I don't think I could get it accomplished for numerous reasons

Does not having time happen to be one of the reasons?

No offence just being a smart ass and my apologies for that. ;)

Bad Genes do not stop you! Look at Paul Savage! He could not close a number 1 the first time he tried and look where he is right now?

• Like 3

I've got a friend named Petter, and he closed coc3 at my place with a deep set after I showed him how to set a gripper.

He only played around with coc2,5 a few times at a friends house before that.

Im alittle jealous of that but, Im stronger than him atm and he has no drive or training dicipline.

I'll go further than he will! :)

• Like 2

If the past is any indication of the future - way less than 1% of people who make this a goal and train long and hard for it will EVER close a #4. I'm been on the GB for a decade or so and I can probably count on one hand all the fours that have been closed. And many have tried. I don't mean to discourage anyone of course but it's a very "rare air" feat of grip strength. Good Luck to all though aiming for it!!!

• Like 3

Certainly it is an incredible and rarely accomplished feat, but the way I see things is you either aim high and believe in yourself, or you might as well just not even bother. And If you can't make it all the way, you can at least say you gave it a good run, and probably accomplished a few other big things along the way.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone should ever set limits on themselves. However, I also think it's always much more productive to remain focused on the "few inches in front of your face" at all times and not get too caught up in where the journey might ultimately lead you.

• Like 7

For me, this kind of questions is a law of percentages. I'm all for aiming high and surpassing your genetic make up if you will, but there are first of all, limits on the corporeal body, and second, specific limits related to the individual.

I like to use Kettlebell Sport as an example of finding the edge of human potential. Look at Long Cycle. You have Ivan Denisov (the world record holder in all 3 events by a fair margin) with 116 reps in 10 minutes (actually 232 movements because its a clean and jerk). That's just under 12 reps per minute with the 32 kg bells and I would postulate that this is very close to the edge of human potential. why? look at the sampling of data. The next closest individual is 105 reps. After that there is to my knowledge only one other person who broke 100. There are one or two that have hit 90. Below that are every other Titan of the sport in the 80's. An 80 rep Long Cycle is world class regardless of your weight class. There are dozens of people at this level and they are among the most fit, strong, intense athletes on the planet and most of them started when they were 10. To give you an idea, a relatively untrained person who is incredibly strong - for instance JT - can gut out around 20 reps. You figure out the percentages and see what is top 1%, top 5%, etc. So what I am saying is there is your bell curve, and its applicable to anything. Soooooooooo realistically, closing a #4 is attainable by only a very small percentage of a very trained sampling of the population.

This is in no way to say the feat isn't attainable, but realistically by only a few, and even then you need the syzygy of a variety of things including talent AND determination. Personally, I like to set realistic goals for myself and work for them scientifically and step by step. I find that to be more rewarding the wishing I was Ivan.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 2

Mike sharkey..excellent post. You are spot on, the number 4 really is for a select few only, nothing wrong with having goals and determination, but the 4 takes something special.

• Like 1

I can honestly see myself closing a 3.5 sometime in the future but not a 4. I'm of the belief that a legit #4 close approaches the boundaries of human capability and only a select few individuals possess this ability. I compare it to being able to run a 40 yard sprint in 4 seconds flat or a raw 800lb bench press, I'm not pessimistic but I know that no matter how hard I train I could never run a 40 in 4 flat or bench 800lbs, it's just not in the cards for me.

Also, are we talking steroids or not.

People like me who'd never use that shit will have a harder time reaching there.

I know ppl irl who use/have used steroids and they did insane increases in gripperstrength.

With roids Im quite sure that I'd get coc4.

Thats also where we get in to wvhills comment about benching insane and running insane.

All of them who reach those records are on steroids.

I bet you my life!

Does not having time happen to be one of the reasons?

No offence just being a smart ass and my apologies for that. ;)

No offence at all!

I meant to say "I don't believe I will ever close a #4"

At 50 years of age yes, lack of time (running out of time) would be an issue. The main thing I was talking

about is being able to balance out one's ability to adapt to the training it would require

to achieve such a feat over finding the fine line of an over-trained state. In two words,

human physiology being the main factor and all the individual factors within.

No need for an apology either my friend!

Take care...

Bad Genes do not stop you! Look at Paul Savage! He could not close a number 1 the first time he tried and look where he is right now?

I kindly disagree here. Just because someone had a hard time with a relatively easy gripper in the beginning does

not mean they have bad genes because years later they accomplished a much harder gripper. In contrast to many,

many more individuals (as Chris mentioned above) that found a easy gripper hard initially and years later they have

come nowhere close to PK or PS assuming all other factors being equal. It would be more accurate IMO to state the exact

opposite here. Sounds like to me maybe they (PK and PS) may have good genetics in this example. Even from a genetic standpoint

there's so many things that have to be considered.

Being it's so easy to take things wrong over the internet, I'm in no way being argumentative here. Just stating my position as you and others

have. :) I've been accused of over thinking things but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the individual that told me this under thinks things? LOL!!! :D

See how reversing a scenario can change the way one looks at things? ;) Try it! It will really enhance ones thinking!

• Like 2

Steroids might make you stronger, but could your hand take the insane pressure exerted by a number 4?

According to Wolff's Law, Yes!

The key factor being the amount of time it would take for the body to adapt and grow stronger.

BTW, steroids increase bone density to a degree along with many other things but this is as far

as I'll go with that subject. ;)

I would also say that this is something you probably couldn't answer until you spent quite a bit of time training. Chez can give you an accurate estimate on his ability to one day close the #4, from what width, with what particular stellar alignment, and what amount of training it would take to make that happen. As as someone who has spent just slightly more time than none on grippers, I have no concept of what the differences in a 3, 3.5 and 4 really are, just as in my previous example, someone who can't do 1 rep Long Cycle with the 32's has no concept of how much harder 70 reps is than 60, or how insane another 30 in the 10 minutes are.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

I have a question. Does anyone here believe that there is a person somewhere out there that possesses enough natural ability to pick up a 4 and close it without ever having trained with a gripper before? I don't mean to get too far off topic but I've always wondered about this. I live and work in a pretty rural county in southern WV, I've heard stories and "legends" all my life of backward hillbilly type people that live in the deepest, darkest and remote areas of my county that are freakishly strong and rather large individuals.

For me, this kind of questions is a law of percentages. I'm all for aiming high and surpassing your genetic make up if you will, but there are first of all, limits on the corporeal body, and second, specific limits related to the individual.

I like to use Kettlebell Sport as an example of finding the edge of human potential. Look at Long Cycle. You have Ivan Denisov (the world record holder in all 3 events by a fair margin) with 116 reps in 10 minutes (actually 232 movements because its a clean and jerk). That's just under 12 reps per minute with the 32 kg bells and I would postulate that this is very close to the edge of human potential. why? look at the sampling of data. The next closest individual is 105 reps. After that there is to my knowledge only one other person who broke 100. There are one or two that have hit 90. Below that are every other Titan of the sport in the 80's. An 80 rep Long Cycle is world class regardless of your weight class. There are dozens of people at this level and they are among the most fit, strong, intense athletes on the planet and most of them started when they were 10. To give you an idea, a relatively untrained person who is incredibly strong - for instance JT - can gut out around 20 reps. You figure out the percentages and see what is top 1%, top 5%, etc. So what I am saying is there is your bell curve, and its applicable to anything. Soooooooooo realistically, closing a #4 is attainable by only a very small percentage of a very trained sampling of the population.

This is in no way to say the feat isn't attainable, but realistically by only a few, and even then you need the syzygy of a variety of things including talent AND determination. Personally, I like to set realistic goals for myself and work for them scientifically and step by step. I find that to be more rewarding the wishing I was Ivan.

Mike, I like your approach brother! Scientifically and step by step!!! Right on!!! :rock

Concerning realistic goals. What happens to the majority (specially newbies) is that their goals are realistic but their time frames are not.

I see it all the time when I ask those I coach/train to write down their goals and within what time frame they would like to accomplish said goal(s).

The time frame over 90% of the time is unrealistic.

Great post BTW!!!

• Like 2

I have a question. Does anyone here believe that there is a person somewhere out there that possesses enough natural ability to pick up a 4 and close it without ever having trained with a gripper before? I don't mean to get too far off topic but I've always wondered about this. I live and work in a pretty rural county in southern WV, I've heard stories and "legends" all my life of backward hillbilly type people that live in the deepest, darkest and remote areas of my county that are freakishly strong and rather large individuals.

I seriously doubt anyone on earth could close a 4 the first time they tried it, even if they were shown how to set it.

Is it possible? Yes...but extremely unlikely.