• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• OldGuy

• Roark

• Bill Piche

Once-a reporter asked Lance Armstrong what he was on to be so successful at the Tour. His reply?

"I am on a bike 8 hours a day. What are you on?"

Rick Walker :rock

What am i on?I like to have a few cocktails and then smoke a big 'ol blunt before a heavy day :laugh Puffin' on a Winston between sets.

i don't know if this helps my grip though :whacked ?

You know, many times I am envious of some of you huge and, to me, incredibly strong folks. When this discussion comes up, I am not. No one will ever look at me walking down the street and think "juicer". I can totally understand getting very sensitive if you are huge and clean and everyone thinks you're juiced anyway. That sucks way worse than all the idiots lying about it. I feel sorry for the clean guys who get lumped in with the idiots by other idiots.

Mike M.

Mike-

I am certianly no where near huge by any stretch. Someone walking down the street would never accuse me of juicing. When they see me train, however, that is a different story.

I guess guys who live, sleep, and breath strength and are 100% focused in the gym are always juicers right? :D:D:tongue

Rick Walker :rock

In life, its the weak vs. the strong. It appears that strength training and athletics has become a case of steers and bulls. Properly enhanced, a steer can get very strong but its still the weak vs. the strong.

Ok here is a hypothetical thought:I'd sure hate to be the guy calling up(on the phone  ) some of the former WSM champions,powerlifting champions,olympic lifting champions,former NFL'ers,no-holds barred fighting champions,track and field guys ,etc.,etc.and telling them about this "revelation of manly weakness". 

Tom of Iowa, my advice to you: Dont go out of your way to preach what you believe. However, in a conversation with a drug using "champion" just be yourself. To answer your inquiry, In a dialogue with one of these individuals , who would say to them that thay are weak in a manly way?

I HAVE AND I WOULD.

On some things, you never give an inch. -Kim Wood

Edited by kimwood

With people doing things like that, I think we are nearing the end of society. What a jackass. :angry: If you look at earlier pics probably before or just starting steroid use, the guy actually had a very impressive physcique. Why would someone disfigure themselves like that?

Edited by The Gripster

I believe that you would.

In my mind i had this visual image of someone phoneing them up- one by one .It would be a LENGTHY and humorous scenario.I think?unfortunately that it would take a quite awhile to get through the list....and we'd have to go quite a ways back in History.

It was-of course- in fun.Purely hypothetical.

While i'm at it might as well clarify that the Post 'few cocktails and then smoke a big 'ol blunt...Puffin on a Winston,etc.'was a joke also.

I don't smoke(anything)and rarely drink as I really can't handle the consequences :)

He seems to be suggesting that we have to go all the way back to the time of Pauls Anderson to find a world class drug free athlete.

Go to any AOBS dinner. It's full of strength legends who never had to.

BTW, Tom Of Iowa.... Kim Wood is a renowned Strength and Conditioning coach who works with professional athletes. I respect and value his opinion, because he KNOWS what he's talking about - "been there, done that" kinda guy...

I feel sorry for those who at great risk and expense, take drugs and mysteriously their grip does not get any stronger.

Even if they get to prove their point?

I think you would have to go back to John Grimeks Era.

I dont think Anderson was a juicer but there certainly were people useing them in his era.

look at all the Modern body building champions,big as houses yet can,t even hold there big Guts in properly,give me GRIMEKS physique anyday :D

Ey Gazza! I have sent you a PM, did you get it?

I have seen 2 doctors this year both asked me if I used steroids, when I said NO they asked me again "Are you sure?". That is kind of funny to me and also sad in a way. Also many of my friends have asked me the same thing, it seems like if you are big and muscular you have to have used drugs. That is not right.

Another thing that is "funny" is that everybody who ask me about my training sort of have this prejudice belief that I only work out to improve my looks/confidence. That pisses me off.

Pexter,

That link to Anderson is interesting but poorly researched

and in several instances inaccurately based on matters other than evidence. Simply a repetition of the usual tales,

which were, rather than re-examined, simply rehashed.

It is misleading, and the strength community would be better served by its absence.

Snott???

Yes I know exactly who Kim Wood is.

What's your point?

I can't make a joke?

As far as "been there done that"yes I respect that.I respect him.I respect his views on drugs.

Also when you are at the AOBS dinner how do we know?that ALL didn't have to use drugs?i guess it depends on who shows up.......I wouldn't accuse any one of course but we don't KNOW what they did all their lives.

Pexter?

You might want to go over to the 'payper view'section and read Roarks Trilogy on Anderson.

The article Has nothing to do with drugs but other facts are worthy of reading about.

Gazza,

Agreed.More in that era were useing than perhaps will admit it?It was just a medication.Showed up in the Physicians desk reference(PDR..sort of the encylopedia of medications..is updated yearly..won't find steroids in it anymore ;) ).Could be obtained by a legal prescription in smaller doses and from what some older folks have told me often purchased directly from pharmacies without a script...it was perhaps against the rules....but not a controlled substance?AND the guys from that era probably didn;t know of the long term(possibel)side effects that we are aware of now.

Gazza-i also PM'ed you?

Patrik.

Yes docs will readily ask that question...and have asked me..and several friends...I suppose they have to because IF you were? it would effect blood tests?B/P and

even your treatment if you are ill?

We laugh about it now...maybe as we get older it won't seem so funny.

Even if WE aren't HUGE?most of us are way off the ht/wt chart

of the norm?and if the patient he just examined before you was a little frail/or a little tubby?it might make you/us look like a martian to the poor old Doc...

But..I have heard it worded as an accusation also...and that is the rub.If it is an accusation perhaps remind them that he is accusing you of a federal beef....and he might want to reword the question more delicately....

A friend of mine tore his bicep.The doctor said that the wear and tear of it indicated steroid use....it was blunt and an acusation.He went off on the doc.Ended up going to a university that was more familiar with sport related injuries and weight lifting....

All I know at this point is this thread is a GripBoard WORLD RECORD for number of posts and views. :ohmy

My doctor asked me too.

As long as they are nice about it, to me it seems like good practice. Most people won't readily volunteer illegal (or excessive legal) drug use.

IMO a #4 close is a #4 close, which will stand untarnished regardless of the "status" of the person who performs it. It does not matter to me whether they are on any kind of performance enhancers or not.

As for questions of steroids affecting "manliness" (or, I suppose, "womanliness"), this thread has already degenerated much too far. As far as I am concerned if someone wants to enhance their ability to go after an athletic goal (a #4 glose, a 700lb Bench, a 900lb Deadlift or whatever) by taking performance enhancing drugs it does not directly effect that person's ability to be a parent or partner or carer or whatever - my defintions of man/womanliness.

Whilst accepting that everyone has their own views (and, indeed, finding them was the direct goal of the question) it irks me greatly to read some of the to my mind intolerant views posted here based solely on steroid use. To take Greg Valentino as an example, I have my own views (pre-conceived, admittedly) of him as a person based on his writings and arrest record, but none of them are based on his physique, such as it is.