Hypothetical Question

Bill Piche

This big post! 74 replies and it was started today?

Rick Walker :rock

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• OldGuy

• Roark

• Bill Piche

Sorry about getting side tracked.Looks like many did.

To answer the hypothetical question.

I guess it would 'taint' the close but then what would be done about it?

If this hypothetical athlete closed it?Then what?

He closed it.It is now closed :tongue ..done deal...do we deny it?or what?say it didn't happen?Put an asterisk* by his name...that in the USA means we are labeling him of breaking federal laws?

Yes the 'close of the #4' would be a controversial issue and talked about but ...then what?

We could then go through history and point fingers at 'tainted'records????Olympic records(those that beat the tests)Lifting Records?Football records?Baseball?Swimming?Track and Field?do we ignore all of THOSE tainted records?

And how about all those old time bodybuilders in the 50's and 60's claiming to be drug free..when Dianabol could be prescribed and purchased legally.?were they?

What is the likely hood that many records...particularly before 'steroids'was a federal rap... may..or may not have been 'tainted'?

It would open a huge can of worms...probably more bad publicity for strength sports.

"How do we get the genie back in the bottle?" I dont have an answer and I dont think there is one. As long as steroids are available, people will use them. Thats a fact. I wouldnt refer to anyone who used steroids as a champion but that is my own opinion. I dont think highly of users and that is the message I will pass on.

If you think about it-are the top 5 heavy weights in powerlifitng, weightlifting, or strongman drug free? Top 10? Most likely not.

The point is-people can pass a test easily, and thus can claim themselves to be drug free. There has been so much tarnishing that one can never tell who is clean and who isnt or who is lying and who isnt.

You will drive yourself crazy thinking about it!

I just say-let the druggies keep taking drugs and bring it! If they out lift me-so be it, if they achieve greater grip feats than me-so be it.

In the end-I can look myself in the mirror and I know I will be ok with the Man upstairs. :inno

I do this all for me and only me. Not for someone else.

What I really enjoy is when you have some guy juice to the gills and he still cant hang with you. That, is great.

This big post! 74 replies and it was started today?

Who started this post!? :inno

See what you did! :blink It took a topic like this for a man like Kim Wood to respond to it! :tongue Give yourself a pat on the back, Wanna! :bow

Drugs like steroids never entered my mind when I was grip training to close the #3. I wanted to make sure that it was all me when I accomplished the feat.

Would taking "illegal substances" like roids really result in closing the #4? Are you 100% sure on it? :mellow What if you do, and you still can't close it?!? :unsure

BTW.... The great and mighty Sybersnott is 100 percent LIFETIME drug-free, and proud to be! :yikes:rock

I fail to see how, especially at the top levels of competition, steroid use is an admission of weakness or makes one less of a man. To reach that point, one's primary mistress has to be their sport of choice. Why is the pro strong man who uses drugs worse than the businessman who works 12 hours a day? Both sacrifice their lives for their passion.

If someone is that dedicated, more power to them. Fact of the matter is, they have developed their body to the point where it is capable of performing the feat of strength, regardless of how they got there.

If a group of people want to get together and agree to not use a particular training tool and compete against one another that is their choice. It doesn't make them better than others who choose to make more sacrifices in order to compete at a higher level of ability.

Why the hell would you want to use steriods in the name of fitness,

on one side you look like you're actually gettin somewhere in whatever it is you're takin steriods for, but actually in the long run you're doing more harm than good for you're body.

Ok here is a hypothetical thought:I'd sure hate to be the guy calling up(on the phone :blink ) some of the former WSM champions,powerlifting champions,olympic lifting champions,former NFL'ers,no-holds barred fighting champions,track and field guys ,etc.,etc.and telling them about this "revelation of manly weakness". :laugh

At this point I'm just having some fun with this ...but who want s that job? :cry Snot you are nominated. :laugh I am laughing about that scenario....NOT anyones beliefs.

Many of you guys are going to that 'AOBS'dinner...will everybody there heave been totally 'clean'through out their liftetime.And if they aren't will you hold it against them?

I think Rick Walkers last post was spot on.

I used to do this with a friend who was on the juice,he outweighed me by3stone but i used to kick his ass on the Deadlift and squat.,and i was puttin in 8-10 hours a day on a building site before my workouts and he was unempluyed resting all day.

Age 23(me)at the time 600lbs deadlift and squat 560lbs,both with no belt at a body weight of 15 stone 12lbs.

If i had my way i would not allow belts.shirts,plysuits etc and then we would see what records really are.

But would this be fare when there are lighter bats,javelins.shoes etc in other sports,such is the rate of technology,we cannot have it both ways,then there is the nutritional aspect,i suspect alot of this new super foods is lassed with steriods or other artificiel aids,otherwise if it wad so good you would have the likes of Kovacs,just useing the stuff and nowt else.

You can only do what you can do on the day,wether the lad next to you is a juicer or not and beats you,you could not do anymore than your best on the day.

Everthin bein equil,EG: we all train like the old timers pre steriod era,were would the records be now :D

Lets face it as well,cheating or not,if someone did close the #4 on juice,still probably had to bust his shrucken nadds to get it :D

A #4 close done with the help of drugs would be a #4 close done with help of drugs in my mind. And even if someone closes the #4 who is "suspect" of using drugs, I have more to worry about than if he uses or not. The only thing you need is belief and all obstacles will dissapear.

I am 100% confident that the #4 can be closed without drugs.

When someone close the #4 with drugs I just feel "Good for you, if it makes you happy". I wouldnt back talk the guy and say "O, he uses drugs bla bla". It is his life, his choice, not mine.

I just think it is too bad you couldnt do it without drugs because it probably could have been done. So for me it would tarnish the feat, why couldnt you go all the way and do it without help? Did you really need the help? Its like trying to climb a mountain and get a free ride with a helicopter the last 500 meters. Why not dig in and WORK the last 500 meters too?

I personally feel that you shouldnt use drugs, I dont believe in them, just like I dont believe in doing plastic surgery to "improve" your appearance. The problem lies within not on the outside. Drugs are man-made, regular food arent. The drug-issue has become a religious question for me. I would never use drugs no matter what money or cause was at stake(I hope :tongue ). I believe that God dont want us to use them. Let nature have its way. Ofcourse this world is so polluted already but that we cant do much about but what we can do is to decide wheter or not to use drugs. Only my thoughts though. Everyone is free to do what they want(even if its not "right" in my mind).

"The worst deceived man is the self deceived man".

It is not the user who 'admits' to drug use, but those aware of the use perceive an inner weakness that has

nothing to do with physical strength except that the very usage is a scream for what could not have been achieved without the illegal activity.

Groups of people agreeing on illegal activities are called

gangs, whether in or out of sport.

I will add this: If those using will acknowledge that up front and quit parading as clean, they would at least be starting to overcome the beginning sentence of this post.

"The worst deceived man is the self deceived man".

It is not the user who 'admits' to drug use, but those aware of the use perceive an inner weakness that has

nothing to do with physical strength except that the very usage is a scream for what could not have been achieved without the illegal activity.

Groups of people agreeing on illegal activities are called

gangs, whether in or out of sport.

I will add this: If those using will acknowledge that up front and quit parading as clean, they would at least be starting to overcome the beginning sentence of this post.

This man, given the post, doen't he have to shut the CoC 4 first?

I personaly think steroids are a persons own choice, and if a person chooses to use them it's all right by me. On the other hand, competing in drug-free events or getting certified with a #3 or #4 is indeed cheating. We all have a potential, and it's much higher than we can imagine. Steroids take you there and beyond, quicker, and that's... well, it's taking the easy way out: cheating.

If anyone doesn't completely understand the drug culture, check out www.elitefitness.comIt's like the gripboard, only for steroid use. Spend an hour reading the posts, and you'll shed a tear for the entire steroid culture. It's quite sad. :(

Again, notice the name of the site "Elite Fitness". :erm

Firstly, I don't profess to know much about steroids, etc, and have never used any or to be honest even seen them.

But I'm of the opinion that they must help to increase your grip strength and of course increase the size of the forearm which houses all the muscle bellies of the wrist and fingers. I think that a lot of bodybuilders who use them and still have a weak grip, have a weakness in that area basically because they don't train that area. If they did the strength would undoubtably improve. Armwrestlers who use (and not all do, I can testify to that) would obviously gain an advantage as the forearm, etc, is one of the key areas in that sport.

As I said I know very little about sports enhancing drugs, and in a way don't really need or want to know about them. I have competed against users and have had the attitude of getting on with the task in hand rather than making excuses if I don't win.

Drugs don't make these bad people, it's just the path they have chosen, and hopefully it won't be a greatly shortened path due to premature death!

David

Steroids, and other performance enhancing agents, diminish the accomplishments of natural athletes. To most people, it isn't so odvious who's natural or not.

It's unfortunate that this thread was started, but since it was I will weigh in. If steriods are an indication of moral or mental weakness then I ask you, what is it a sign of when you acuse someone that has beaten you when you really don't know? People are quick to make broad sweeping statements about top weightlifters, powerlifters, and strongman competitors, but on what do you base your statements? How do you even have an idea who is on and who is not?

This is a slippery slope folks - I would hate to see the grip world pulled down in the same stinking pit of s@#t that the rest of the strength sports have been pulled into. It starts with an inocent discussion, then mud slinging, and eventually will end up in tested grip contests vs. open grip contests, tested records vs. open records, etc..

I have been around strength sports at every level for 15 years - I know a lot of the top guys personally that I know are on, some I suspect are on, and some that I just can't figure out. The one thing I know is I will never know, and because of that I have stopped asking the question.