Which Athletes Have The Strongest Grip? Poll

Stephen Ruby

Which athletes have the strongest grip?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which athletes have the strongest grip?

• Baseball
    • Basketball
    • Football
    • Hockey
    • MMA
    • Tennis
    • Other

I was just curious which group of athletes you think that have strongest grip in general? This is excluding pure strength sports like weightlifting/strongman/arm wrestling etc. I'm talking more about general sports you see on T.V. Grip is important in any sport that you use your hands so figure they all have strop grip at the top end but some more then others. Height can play a factor also like in basketball you have tall athletes who might do well in grip where big hands help etc.

Strongman.

Yeah figure that but want to keep pure strength athletes out of this poll. Speaking more about the popular sports you see on national T.V. all the time.

If you think pound for pound - I'd say rock climbers would be hard to beat.

I voted football. But with regards to specific types of grip some of the other sports might excel. For example, judo and jiu jitsu players could have a lot of strength and endurance built up in their fingertips from clutching at gis for extended periods of time. Of course, football players are grabbing at jerseys for briefer periods of time. Then some of the other sports might have better developed wrist strength. But a 300 pound linebacker is gonna be hard to beat in the all-around.

When my Jiu Jitsu instructor used to roll with us, he wouldn't have to
use hardly any skill or energy--he'd just grab on to our wrist lapels
and completely neutralize everyone of us. I can't remember any of us
even passing guard. For that reason I chose MMA but I can see Football
being their too.

When my Jiu Jitsu instructor used to roll with us, he wouldn't have to

use hardly any skill or energy--he'd just grab on to our wrist lapels

and completely neutralize everyone of us. I can't remember any of us

even passing guard. For that reason I chose MMA but I can see Football

being their too.

I know what you mean I trained grappling a bit and was shocked at how strong some of the higher belt guys were. The instructor was under 180lbs but he had a vice like grip. My hands used to get really sore after grappling in a GI especially the fingers.

Baseball. The Japanese are obsessed with grip and I once watched a show over there where they compared different sports' athletes to find out who has the strongest grip.

Baseball. The Japanese are obsessed with grip and I once watched a show over there where they compared different sports' athletes to find out who has the strongest grip.

I vote Japan b/c it's a sport in itself.

Mma for sure, its vital to the sport, holding, lifting, grabbing, pulling. Often after training my forearms are jacked. I'm sports science did a test on Grey Maynard and he pushed a pretty high number on the dyno

Rock climbing :D

Their tendon conditioning is way beyond anything else, and their sport is centered around the hand. I've seen a 16 y/o 140# kid who never lifted a weight deadlift over 300# on the axle in competition. Wait till he gets a few more years of training under his belt.

Edited by daniel reinard

Well rock climbers definitely have strong hands, but I thought that was included in the "strength sports" category.

If we are talking structurally the strongest... Advanced kung fu practitioners have ridiculous connective tissue strength from iron hand training.

Well rock climbers definitely have strong hands, but I thought that was included in the "strength sports" category.

I wouldn't call rock climbing a strength sport. Most everyone is a twig and doesn't lift weights, anything for the matter. They just climb and do pullups, generally, while pushing the fingers to the max.

I wouldn't call rock climbing a strength sport. Most everyone is a twig and doesn't lift weights, anything for the matter. They just climb and do pullups, generally, while pushing the fingers to the max.

I think that it was Pavel that said "The picture-esq body type for a climber is the lats of a flying squirrel with the legs of a starved chicken."

Guest Squat More

Judo and any grappling sport like Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling. I have heard stories of Big Nog being able to smash tennis balls with his hands. His wrist control was always monster in Pride.

The soccer joke aside (i tried to think of the one sport i could that had no hand involvement). I think its hard to find any sport that does a full involvement of the different types of hand strength. While Rugby, which I've played in a top competitive league before, involves a lot of crushing and individual finger strength in as far as the forward pack is concerned, (i dunno if the back's do any, i'm not sure what they do), the sports involving grappling the whole time, such as judo, have a lot of emphasis on finger strength and possibly crushing. Football does a great number of exercises, and if they know something they're neglecting they'll fix that, incluidng lower arm strength, as many coaches have been doing exercises to help that as of late.

Undeniably, rock climbing focuses on the most number of different areas of grip strength that we look at here at the grip board.

But most of all, for those of us who have looked past the area of focus where we started, Gripsport has the most to offer for any of us in this way.