2013 Diablo Rock Grip Comp Ii

daniel reinard

For medleys there are various heights that can be used all in a single medley. I like to use various heights in our contests then pick the implements that are best paired to each platform. It adds variety and more skill testing. Don't worry, the uber hard stuff or awkward stuff isn't loaded to the tall platforms.

We are currently making the sledge event a sanctioned gripsport event that will be posted to the NAGS site rules. We liked the 18" load as a height but still need to finalize the rules we discussed.

Only ~3 weeks of training left before the comp! Also the discounted early entry fee ends 4/1!

I just measured the platform against my knee height. It's ~4.5" lower than the middle of my knees. Not that high. During a sledge lift I didn't even stand up all the way to load onto it. If you recall the sledge event practice we did when we loaded it onto my weight bench, that bench is 18" tall. IMO this is an ideal gripsport loading height.

Edited by daniel reinard

The picture must be a bit of an illusion then looks higher haha

I measured it out also after I posted it with my hammer and realized how short it really is

It sounds perfect in general for all loading events

Did you make any fliers I might try to advertise at a powerlifting gym near my house and at my local ballys gym. Since the drive is under 2 hours will try to see if anyone can make it.

My sister is also considering making some deserts/food for those competing or watching do you have any idea roughly of how many people might show up?

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Historically ~10 people compete. This one looks to be close to 15. Carbs always sound wonderful after a competition. :)

I didn't make flyers this time. I encourage people to spread the word. That seems to be the way to go. I've never had anyone respond to a flyer. Grip sport needs explaining, unfortunately.

I have two big guys at my gym who do strong man that are interested, one more than the other, both by word of mouth/seeing me toil with my RT, lol.

I have two big guys at my gym who do strong man that are interested, one more than the other, both by word of mouth/seeing me toil with my RT, lol.

Right on bro. Strongmen do well at this stuff. They're premium candidates. I hope they come.

Just got off the phone with the trophy scultor. They would like to add a new product to their line if there was sufficient demand for a grip trophy. As it stands now, in the U.S., we just don't have enough events going on. I'm to stay in contact with them in the future as the sport grows. If they get more calls for it or we have more events on our calendar, then they'll do a sculture trophy for gripsport. Or I can pay $4500 for a custom job now. Anyways, I tried guys. Maybe in the future.

No worries that price he gave you seems like a slap in the face honestly that is approaching a new car price

I'm cool with nothing honestly, I just want to put some numbers up for my self to work towards beating.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

We'll have trophies bro. I was just trying to get the trophy industry up to date with grip sport. Would be nice to just order a nice grip trophy whenever a contest comes up.

• Like 1

A large portion of the Hubgeezer Family is going. Hubgeezer, Son of Hubgeezer, Woman of Son of Hubgeezer all say they are participating. Wife of Hubgeezer is going to be watching Granddaughter of Hubgeezer at the gym as well.

Son of Hubgeezer is extremely strong, but is not a "grip guy". He used to do grip with me in 2005, but has not done much since. Woman of Son of Hubgeezer used to be into "Crossfit", and since she had her baby she seems to be looking for something new to take up. Both of them are being awfully good sports about competing in a contest without having much prior experience.

Looking forward to a fun time. Even Wife of Hubgeezer is looking forward to this as a unique family event. Son of Hubgeezer's family lives only 30 mintutes from the gym, which is the reason for the unconventional family outing. I live a solid 2 hours from the location.

Bottom line: 3 more participants.

• Like 4

Awesome Mike! That's cool that the family is doing it together! I look forward to meeting them all.

Todd Coenen, IROC-Z, sent a prize package and it arrived today. Thank you Todd for the sponsorship and awesome prizes!

• Like 1

Just ordered enough prizes to award 1st-4th place finishes in the 3 divisions. So even if you're a runner up there will be something for you.

• Like 1

Sounds like it si going to be an awesome comp.

It should be a good sized one Jedd. I'm looking forward to the array of competitors. 5 females, men of old, young, heavyweight, super lightweight, new and veteran. Maybe even a pioneer if Clay can make it.

Keven Collen has put forward 2 rated grippers for the prize pool! I dig this. We'll have prizes for most the people that will compete. It gives people something to shoot for even if a top placing and trophy are possibly out of reach.

• Like 1

Really great to hear everything is coming along nicely, great job organizing everything.

I had a question regarding elbow sleeves, are they allowed in contests? I was thinking of ordering a pair for benching and grip training since my elbow has been acting up a bit and figure might help also during contest to keep everything warm.

My sister is getting more excited for the contest I got her to train with me a bit this week she got 100lbs-not including apparatus weight- on my rolling thunder-old model and testing vs yours doesn't spin as freely though I have tried to loosen it up as much as I can- and she repped out the trainer earlier this week for around 5 reps and is pretty close to the coc #1. I saw on the gripsport the American record is 107 I will get a video up of her next attempt trying it out she would like to get that record but it will be hard for sure. She is only 19 so I think she will get it soon if she works at it more.

• Like 1

awesome to hear she is stoked and ready to take a record bro. yeah sleeves are allowed but may still be up to the judge's discression based on if there is something unusual about them, in a performance enhancement way. http://www.gripsport.org/

Daniel maybe I missed this, and/or it's just a novice question, are the grippers both hands or just one? and is it legal to switch hands?

We'll just test one hand and NAGS does not have a rule forcing the competitor to stick to a hand so we are permitted to switch hands . Some promoters may specify additional rules to stick with one hand but i'm just using the base rules of NAGS.

• Like 1

Diablo Rock Gym is putting up a months free membership to division top winners. About a $71 value per winner. Good towards all the Touchstone gyms around the Bay Area.

Trophies are on order. For once I didn't wait until the last minute to get those in order.

I'll be updating the paid list tonight and posting who I have received it from.

• Like 1

Below is the updated paid list. If you paid the entry fee please double check you are on the list. If not, $25 paypal to daniel.reinard@gmail.com or cash on arrival.

Daniel Reinard

Stephen Ruby

Sister Ruby

Robert Sparango

Hans Florine

Emily Grigsby

Michael Corlett

Andrew Corlett

Jacqueline Corlett

Kevin Collen

Edited by daniel reinard

Below is the updated paid list. If you paid the entry fee please double check you are on the list. If not, $25 paypal to daniel.reinard@gmail.com or cash on arrival.

Daniel Reinard

Stephen Ruby

Sister Ruby

Robert Sparango

Hans Florine

Emily Grigsby

Michael Corlett

Andrew Corlett

Jacqueline Garrett

Kevin Collen

Daniel Reinard

Stephen Ruby

Cassandra Ruby

Robert Sparango

Hans Florine

Emily Grigsby

Michael Corlett

Andrew Corlett

Jacqueline Garrett

Kevin Collen

Edited by daniel reinard

2 Weeks to go. About 1 week of hard training then a deload or week off pre comp. Get in your last bit of hard work this week!

Woah hans florine the former world champion climber?

Edited by Stephen Ruby

wouldn't let me edit

"Any idea if you might get some late additions from your gym like Connor Everton who did really well as a teenager for your last contest?

I'll be a little busy this week but plan to get in two good sessions at least-hopefully 3- one pinch and grippers and one thickbar + sledge. Should be a solid group, looks good.

Do you generally deload from lifting also to just fully recover the body of do you lift normally? Never done any strength contest so not sure what is best to keep cns going lifting a bit or fully recover. "