2013 Diablo Rock Grip Comp Ii

daniel reinard

The other homedepot only had 10lbs so I just got one. I can easily lever it to the face both hands for reps but deadlifting this thing is not happening anytime soon. I figure I can add weight with magnets but going to just train with it as it is now until I get stronger with it.

Are you going to tape the handle for extra grip or just use the wood handle? I saw in rex's video they taped the handle a bit.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Yeah, you can drill and tap for a bolt to install more weight on the 10#. Some people do that. I figured you'd lever that to the face easily.

For the comp there will be no tape on the wooden handle.

• Like 1

As far as training for these deadlift type events, what to you recommend? I've currently got a rolling thunder, and I just marked off the sledge so i can measure how far back im getting. Still working on rigging up something for the 2hp.

Should I just do a bunch of lifts with the stuff?

As far as training for these deadlift type events, what to you recommend? I've currently got a rolling thunder, and I just marked off the sledge so i can measure how far back im getting. Still working on rigging up something for the 2hp.

Should I just do a bunch of lifts with the stuff?

I tried doing a bunch of lifts and levering with mine and I think I over trained myself. I think I'm going to set it up with reps of 1-5 and trying to go lower down the handle each week in the future-with a lot less sets-. I have similar equipment to you right now, a sledge, some grippers and a rolling thunder handle I just got-old one though- I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to set up my training but I've read you don't want to do too much volume-based on most of the training logs i've gone through-. I'm thinking of doing pinch and wrist work one day and gripper rolling thunder work another day.- a long with my regular weightlifting routine of 3-4x a week-

How far on the handle were you able to get btw? You have a 12 lb hammer right?

What works for me is to split the grip events into different training days and i do them between weightlifting. The sledge you can probably roll together with the RT workout.

There are a few ideas on training. The main idea is to create for yourself a heavy day and light day. That way you aren't going too hard too often. Pinch I can work 2x a week and everything else just once. For a heavy day I may slowly increase the weight until failure then back it down for working singles at ~85% of that days best. If really trying to push up the max go for a PR single 3 times then back it down for easier working sets. On light days I obviously go lighter but put in more reps. I focus on speed, explosiveness and technique. Start there are feel things out. You'll begin to like certain ways to train and then can form a loose plan.

• Like 2

Yeah, i got a 12 lb hammer with a plastic handle. I got 7 1/2 inches back from the head today, but I think I can do a bit better. I did a pretty intensive workout today, and then the sledge several hours later. I'll try it again this weekend when my hands are fresh and see if i can improve on that.

Yeah, i got a 12 lb hammer with a plastic handle. I got 7 1/2 inches back from the head today, but I think I can do a bit better. I did a pretty intensive workout today, and then the sledge several hours later. I'll try it again this weekend when my hands are fresh and see if i can improve on that.

Nice man I imagine the 12lb hammer is a lot harder then the 10. Are you measuring from the back of the hand? Thats how we are going to measure it for the contest. I have seen quick progress on the sledge so you will probably see quick progress also. Me and daniel were hitting around 20 down the handle measuring from the back of the hand on the 10 so you are actually pretty close to that. I hurt my right hand doing some reverse bending the other day. I tried to do my bastard in a single suede wrap and it didn't go well. I am going to quit bending until this comp for sure now though. Right hand has been bugging me for a bit anyways so taking some rest right now. Are you competing in the under 200lb class btw or over?

Edited by Stephen Ruby

No, i was measuring from the front of the hand. So that puts me at 11 inches even if its the back.

And I'll be competing in the under 200 unless i put on 15-20 pounds between now and then, which isn't real likely.

• Like 1

No, i was measuring from the front of the hand. So that puts me at 11 inches even if its the back.

And I'll be competing in the under 200 unless i put on 15-20 pounds between now and then, which isn't real likely.

Nice hopefully we can get all gripboard members to take gold

I'm also curious if we can get the sledge to be an official gripsport event

http://www.gripsport.org/

Would be really cool if we can establish some rules for this event and have some standards for it. For the really top guys I bet you could add weight to the hammer although I believe only 1 person has even done the 12 lb hammer deadlift anyways. This could be the first contest for this event and we would get some world records established.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

I think what i might do is get my best length on the handle and then microload by stacking more quarters on the head of the sledge, then the next session see if i can move back half an inch.

Would be really cool if we can establish some rules for this event and have some standards for it.

That would be fantastic. For this or any other hammer event for that matter.

Jedd and I tossed around the idea of getting official rules laid out. We'll try to get something out there to best lay the event out for future people to use as well.

Guys, just be careful doing alot of max effort sledge work. I've been doing it once a week where I leave a little in the tank at the end of doing it. Maxing alot on holds and distance is just as bad as maxing alot on other lifts. Mix in easier workouts and keep frequency to 2 or less times a week. The good thing about this lift is it doesn't seem to affect other grip training so it pairs well in most workouts.

• Like 4

Stephen I hope that hand is ok. Message me if you want some ideas to help on recovery and such. I can't count how many times i've messed up a hand where I couldn't even tie my shoes due to the pain.

I've put an inquiry out for custom sculpted trophies. If the price is right we'll have custom trophies to rep grip sport.

• Like 1

I've put an inquiry out for custom sculpted trophies. If the price is right we'll have custom trophies to rep grip sport.

That sounds awesome!

Damn, really makes me wish I could make it.

Jedd and I tossed around the idea of getting official rules laid out. We'll try to get something out there to best lay the event out for future people to use as well.

Guys, just be careful doing alot of max effort sledge work. I've been doing it once a week where I leave a little in the tank at the end of doing it. Maxing alot on holds and distance is just as bad as maxing alot on other lifts. Mix in easier workouts and keep frequency to 2 or less times a week. The good thing about this lift is it doesn't seem to affect other grip training so it pairs well in most workouts.

Emailed you back on the standards.

• Like 1

I've been in contact with a trophy scultor to see if we can have custom trophies made for grip sport. So far a one off custom order is far too expensive for a single event (you don't want to know what I was quoted) but we are discussing the possibility that he add a grip sport related product to his line. If he sees a market for them throughout the sport he may just make the mold for the product and not call it a custom order. Fingers are crossed.

Just an update as the sledge rules are being formulated, we'll measure from the head to the front of the hand. The line in front of the hand must be visible throughout the lift. This won't affect your training other than where you are measuring from. This way should take hand size out of the lift for a fair test.

How is one to determine the center of mass? I would image different handle materials, size of head, etc. will make somewhat minor, but noticeable differences?

How is one to determine the center of mass? I would image different handle materials, size of head, etc. will make somewhat minor, but noticeable differences?

Yes, sledges vary but not by much more than grippers with ratings vary by feel on the close. Measuring to the front of the handle seems to be a better way to take hand size out of the lift. It matters more how close to the head someone can grab, not so much how far back they are. It's not a perfect system but the rules we are going over should make future comparisons just about as legit as any other grip event.

I think its a lot more fair this way. I mean no system is perfect I guess you could say it could favor a smaller hand person the farther down the handle you go but not by much and noone I can think of is grabbing a 12lb hammer 30+ down anyways where your hand might come off a bit. My palm is large so for this event the old way I had a unfair advantage of at least 1 inch on someone with smaller hands. Its also easier to see also where your grabbing this way.

How did you make the sculptures for your last contest? You might have mentioned it but I forgot but figure you could use them again. Don't make anything more trouble for yourself though then you need too. Just having the contest is enough for me haha I want to get some numbers to work toward improving on.

I ordered the sculpture trophies from only. They aren't crazy expensive as long as I don't have the guy make a custom mold for it. I'm awaiting his decision. Not holding my breath.

Currently welding up an 18" loading platform for use in contests. It needs some legs supports, coat of paint, 3/4" rubber matting on top and the little rubber feet for the legs are on order.

This is what we'll load the sledge onto. And probably a medley platform in the future.

photobucket-29058-1364173331037_zps9e15e

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

For medleys do they generally load them to that high? A lot of times seems its just to like knee height or it varies. Also wasn't sure but is the hammer deadlift going to be a confirmed event on gripsport now after this contest?

Looks nice, good job. Only about a month or so until the contest.