How Strong Is Devon Larratt's Grip?

Eric Roussin

This is what I'll try to find out on Saturday, when I host the Canadian portion of the GripTopz Championships, a 25-item grip medley, and a HUGE armwrestling practice. I don't know if Devon will be officially taking part in the grip contests, but if he doesn't I'll at least try to get him to try out some of my equipment. Anyone willing to come up to Ottawa is invited to attend!

• Like 4

Thanks for that, Eric!

His hand size and wrist strength should favour thickbar stuff. Can't wait to get more info on that!

Thats awesome Eric. Be sure and take some footage of his attempts.

Apparently he got 8 items? Read it on one of the AW sites...

EDIT: http://www.xsportnews.com/armwrestling/devon-larratt-and-eric-roussin-about-griptopz-ottawa-23-february-2013/

had an amazin time at Eric Roussin‘s
place. grip challenge..it was great i got like 8 out of 25 in a 4
minute medley i wasn’t last. lol i beat the Grippler!! haha but Ian did
lift one 3″ handle as he was screaming “like a boss” so he might have
beat me there. Eric got 23 out of 25, so he is the king crusher today..
awesome times, great armwrestling practice.

Apparently he got 8 items? Read it on one of the AW sites...

EDIT: http://www.xsportnews.com/armwrestling/devon-larratt-and-eric-roussin-about-griptopz-ottawa-23-february-2013/

had an amazin time at Eric Roussin‘s

place. grip challenge..it was great i got like 8 out of 25 in a 4

minute medley i wasn’t last. lol i beat the Grippler!! haha but Ian did

lift one 3″ handle as he was screaming “like a boss” so he might have

beat me there. Eric got 23 out of 25, so he is the king crusher today..

awesome times, great armwrestling practice.

Apparently Devon didn't count them very accurately. ;)

"As for the 25-item grip medley held afterwards, here are the results:

1 - Eric Roussin - 23 feats

2 - Marc Turgeon - 14 feats (won the tie-breaker)

3 - Stefan Straub - 14 feats (lost the tie-breaker)

4 - Devon Larratt - 13 feats

5 - Ian Carnegie - 9 feats

6 - Rick Blanchard - 8 feats

7 - Philippe Lauzon - 5 feats"

http://oaa1.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1927&page=1

• Like 2

Devon didn't compete in the GripTopz Championships, but I did manage to convince him to try the medley. To be fair, at this point he had already been on the armwrestling table for a few hours. He didn't attempt any of the two handed challenges, because his right arm is still recovering from surgery. For all of the one hand challenges, he used his left, and he soon realized his left is not like his right for these types of lifts. He struggled to do lifts that I've seen him do easily in the past (e.g. lifting the Inch dumbbell). He was a good sport about the whole thing.

Devon didn't compete in the GripTopz Championships, but I did manage to convince him to try the medley. To be fair, at this point he had already been on the armwrestling table for a few hours. He didn't attempt any of the two handed challenges, because his right arm is still recovering from surgery. For all of the one hand challenges, he used his left, and he soon realized his left is not like his right for these types of lifts. He struggled to do lifts that I've seen him do easily in the past (e.g. lifting the Inch dumbbell). He was a good sport about the whole thing.

Sounds like it was not at all an accurate display of his strength. I hope he heals well and can give it a go another time.

Devon seems like a really cool, down-to-earth guy.

Stefan Straub: haven't heard that name in forever. He used to be a very active board member. Good to see him still training and competing.

And congrats on the win, Eric!

Jedd -- You're right, it wasn't. But I don't think I'll have much success convincing him to pursue grip. His focus is totally on armwrestling, which is very understandable (he's the best!).

Eric -- Devon's as cool as they come. He will take the time to teach technique and answer questions to anyone who shows an interest in armwrestling. It's so cool for the top people in a sport to be so accessible. This has been my experience so far in grip as well, which is awesome.

Stefan attended his first armwrestling tournament in 2005 and has been competing more seriously over the past few years. In terms of grip, he's still far ahead of me in crushing and bending strength.

Thanks for the congrats!

So true about his accessibility. Most guys even half as accomplished as Devon would be cashing in on the advice and knowledge that he freely shares. Truly a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

I was blown away watching him man handle Travis Bagent. being a West Virginia boy from way back, I've always been a fan of Bagent and considered him one of the best, but he was a light warm-up for Devon, at least in the video I saw.

dude is on another level.