Does Size Matter(pinch Block)

Oneeyedjack

Hi,

Does the width of the pinch block make a difference in building strength or is it more for being comfortable on the hands. Just built one with 2 pieces of 2" x 4" so it is 3" or 76 mm wide, not sure if that is to wide. My hands are 7.75" from first crease at wrist and span is 9.25". Just starting out so don't want to be making the wrong choice right at the start.

Thanks

Sure that will work to increase your strength. As far as carry over to competition equipment, that is much thicker than the 2 hand pinch and much thinner than the heavier blobs. But it will increase your pinch strength if you work it consistently.

A 2x12 with a 1/2" plywood glue to one side of it is perfect for simulating the adjustable two hands pinch apperatus. But what you have will make you stronger if you use it.

im just gonna say, be careful. i was only just looking at what pinch blocks ive got, and i also have one made with two pieces 2x4's which i find too wide, i hyperextended my thumb using that and i have 8" hands. i didnt seriously damage my thumb, but it still botheres me from time to time.

i use a homemade TTK instead, i find it pretty good since it works the full range of motion. i am looking to start using pinch blocks again though, to build that static / isometric strength. but ill only be using a 2x4 and a narrow board for pinching this time round.

I too am new to grip training in general, and pinch training specifically. My hands are almost identical in size to yours (7 7/8"). I picked up a Sorinex 3" pinch block a week and a half ago. I've used it for 4 workouts so far and have had my numbers go up each time. I may pick up the other size blocks too, but so far, I have been really enjoying my 3" block.

Thanks,

So does working different width blocks make a big difference in strength, guess what Im asking is if I trained with a 3" width would I be as strong at the 2" width or would just training the 2" just make me stronger at the 2" width. Think I may be confusing myself.

You should work different widths often. As one example, Adam Glass swears by this rule and he's okay at pinching. :cool

Thanks, So does working different width blocks make a big difference in strength, guess what Im asking is if I trained with a 3" width would I be as strong at the 2" width or would just training the 2" just make me stronger at the 2" width. Think I may be confusing myself.

here is my opinion but i am not nearly as experienced as others. training pinch at one width is MUCH better than not training it at all. but training various widths will give the best results in overall strength.

• Like 1

:yikes Think we need a different forum for that discussion.

So would I be better off starting with a smaller width and work my way up to wider. Read so much info it's kinda jumbled around in the brain and one person says one thing and another says something different. Guess trial and error is in the works but kinda trying to elimina\te the error.

Don't try to over think things. Read up on isometrics and the amount of carry over to different positions trained. Pinch is pretty much all isometric in nature so it's easy to make different sized blocks etc and train them all - be sure to train both one and two handed. It's also good to train pinch with movement but this requires more ingenuity to make something up that does so.

Pinch training should be width specific. In other words, if you want to get good at pinching a two hands pinch device used in contests, use that specific width. If you want to get good at pinching a 3" block, pinch a 3" block.

Train on all kinds of different sizes, shapes and surfaces. Just be sure to ramp up and not go overboard.

Good stuff guys. Jedd have read some of your articles, good info. Not to sound noobish but could you explain ramp up, kinda have an idea what it means just want to make sure.