#4 Certification Request

Paul Savage

Exactly geralt..which is why I would get several new #4's and close them out of the package ccs before attempting a certification.

Atleast it would give you knowledge of what chance you had of actually getting the certificate.

Exactly geralt..which is why I would get several new #4's and close them out of the package ccs before attempting a certification.

Atleast it would give you knowledge of what chance you had of actually getting the certificate.

That's how I did things myself!

When I was training for the #3 certification, I ended up with a several #3's and would not go for another certification attempt again unless I could close a #3 gripper right out of the package with the ccs attempt with no problem. A few of the grippers felt easy, I could close them with no problem and allowed me to progress towards my eventual goal of certifying on the #3.

Hopefully, all goes well with Paul's training and the methods he uses and proves he has it in him to certify on the #4, but no matter what the outcome is, it will be interesting to know where he ends up at.

From a moderation stand point, Paul's strength has passed muster. He's certainly welcome to post his training details. He has historically been very forthcoming with what he can and can't do.

• Like 1

Damn that 3.5 CCS looked nice and it was with your off hand !!

Stranger - thank you but it's my right hand in the video, is just how the webcam i'm using films, it looks like left hand for some reason (sorry for confusion, my left hand is the one with bands on). My proper camera wasn't working but is fixed for next time.

As for some of the other comments, yeah ideally i would want to be take a few different #4's out the package and close them before certification, but as has been touched upon, it's not so easy when it's a #4. It's not just that it may take a good peaking programme just to do it once for the cert (keep in mind with me i've not got the great genetics, i couldn't close a #1 when i started) but also that when magnus says he can't close the #4 every week as it makes his palm black and blue every time he does it, that's no joke. Even just doing the one mms single you see in the last video, that put a lot of pressure on the hand, and you will get bruising in your palm if you do it too often or too much in one session. If i bruise my palm it can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks before i can train again so dependant on the time of doing so that could be any chance of certing #4 gone. I really have to be smart and work up slow but i hope to be moving up to super elite fairly soon and then medium #4 is next and we see what happens.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1

Wow to have built up your strength from not being able to close a #1 right out the gate is even more impressive-Keep doing what you are doing because it is really working for you! To Hell with the Nay Sayers -Do your own thing!

• Like 2

The only people who can critique this man's methods are guys who are stronger.... There aren't many.... I'm just happy to be witnessing Paul prepping for the most epic feat in grip

• Like 1

I don't think anyone doubts how strong paul is that is very evident.

I thought the questions were more around why not just cert on the 3 and 3.5 now and if he has any videos of a ccs of a new #4 since most who go for cert at least from what I have seen have done it in training before applying for the cert. Yet he answered both of these questions with an honest response which make sense. I wish you all the best with your training.

• Like 3

Paul...do your thing!!! Keep doing what you do!!

I'm almost to where you're at on 3.5's!!! If this stupid fingernail 1/4" by 1/4" piece of fingernail will fall off already, I think I can get a 3.5 for two singles!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys

No grip training this week, tendons arnt feeling upto it. Good news is should be getting a garage gym setup within the next month so that should help with training.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - Have made a bunch of mms singles on my medium #4 right handed, left hand has been struggling a bit. Tendons been getting beat up and my skins starting to take a beating too. Decided to switch it up to thick handle grippers, easier on the skin and beefs up the hands and forearms well.

Drop set on HG400 (about 2.8 for me) after work with the #4 in the last session..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vK28eRn6UKE

Don't know why vid is so dark, wasnt in the room. Will film at well lit gym next week.

• Like 1

Just out of mere curiosity: don't you find that the thick handled grippers would hurt your strength in that last bit of the close, seeing as your hand would never be quite as closed as it would be with a regular-thickness gripper?

• Like 1

Arturo - Not really, i find thick handle grippers have good carry over to regular grippers along with other aspects of grip also.

If you can at some point close a #9 with a 1.5" block set you would have equalled the greatest feat of grip strength to date.

If you can at some point close a #9 with a 1.5" block set you would have equalled the greatest feat of grip strength to date.

I have not tried the ghp grippers but this is pure speculation, all we know of the difficulty of the ghp9 nathan closed is that it was similar to the #4 he did reps on in another video. Not all ghp #9's are harder than #4's, some have cal'd as low as 190lb.

The average rating of a #9 is 220 as per cannon powerworks...which would make 190 ridiculously easy..and I find it hard to believe such a 9 would exist.

It's widely accepted that ghp's are more difficult to close than coc with the same rating. According to these forums anyway.

When holle closed the #9, wade gillingham and a bunch of others said it was the greatest feat of grip strength ever...there must be a reason for that .

The reason being that ghp9's on average are more difficult than coc4, rgc wise..plus considering that they are overall more difficult to close due to sweep I think makes holle's close pretty remarkable.

Matt...can you verify the weakest ghp9 u have rgc'd?

Maybe it is, and i'm not trying to take anything away from holle but 220 is only a slightly harder close than coc4 and sweep strength varys too. To say it's the greatest grip feat ever without even knowing the difficulty of the gripper is a bit much in my opinion, there's been some huge feats done nowadays.

Paul you got a point there. You should order the ghp 8 and 9 and start ceftifiy on the 8. I think you will end with a couple of reps.. :D and there is a chance you will be able to close the 9 to!!! :D

Maybe it is, and i'm not trying to take anything away from holle but 220 is only a slightly harder close than coc4 and sweep strength varys too. To say it's the greatest grip feat ever without even knowing the difficulty of the gripper is a bit much in my opinion, there's been some huge feats done nowadays.

I would say Snatching the Inch DB would be the greatest grip feat ever.

That would be nuts. Haha

Guest Squat More

I only said that because I remember reading somewhere (either Joe Roark's iron history forum or the IM forum) that Laine Snook was working towards that goal: snatching the inch DB.

I could be wrong though, since I don't remember where I read it exactly, could be my brain playing tricks on me.

Edit: Yep, via Iron History

I am hoping to turn my attention to the Inch Dumbbell in 2009 - I want to see if it would be possible to Snatch the 172 ( I have managed a 153lb globe DB ) and I think that I have a moderate chance of a double Inch clean - that sort of movement seems to "fit" me, and with the increased strength in my Right hand, the grip shouldn't be the deciding factor - just the 344lbs - I'm sure that my pair of Inch Dumbbells will have other ideas.

Seems it was a while ago, though. I wonder if he has done it and just not posted the video online?

Edited by Squat More

I think most of the claims made in 'Get a Grip' would rate as the greatest of all time! Haha!

A 220 GHP9 isn't much compared to that 675 monster gripper, if that thing was rated in an rgc type of way. Pretty impressive. I bet someone can beat Benedikt by about 2000 pounds as well.

Edited by Norden

I think most of the claims made in 'Get a Grip' would rate as the greatest of all time! Haha!

lol, yep.