#4 Certification Request

Paul Savage

• 2 weeks later...

kasporov - I don't really want to be 'attempting' grippers, i want to be closing them whenever possible. The next #4 i will use for ccs will be my medium 2005 #4 (is grade 8 spring but one number on bottom each handle) just because i know the difficulty of it. I will try my new #4 only if i am closing that one consistently.

Video of 5th single of RB330lb gripper with credit card (sorry my hand blocks insert, will change angle next time), and my medium #4 with deep set afterwards (was to about 1 1/4").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PdwSYB73MU

I am having a problem with my proper camera (these are being filmed on webcam), it says 'card protected' and won't record, any idea whats up with it guys?? I had better video but it didn't record and save it.

I am having a problem with my proper camera (these are being filmed on webcam), it says 'card protected' and won't record, any idea whats up with it guys?? I had better video but it didn't record and save it.

Paul,

There might be some sort of a slider on your memorycard, if it accidentally slid, your card is "protected" and you won't be able to record on it.

Awesome closes btw!

Paul,

There might be some sort of a slider on your memorycard, if it accidentally slid, your card is "protected" and you won't be able to record on it.

Awesome closes btw!

Thanks, and thanks, got it working now!

• Like 1

Paul, why not just cert the 3 and 3.5 now while you know you have the strength?.. i say because you never know what kind of jacked up injury could happen tomorrow that could permanently keep you from training grip at your current level..

for example, i know at any given time i could lose a finger or two on the job. so i take those certs when i can get them.

i say go for it bro.. everyone has a good idea of what you can do now, but the 3 and 3.5 certs will prove it.

Difference is i don't care about being certified on the other grippers. Other people do so they cert them and that's cool. I want #4 and i won't stop until i get #4. I'm not doing the others incase i miss the #4, i'm doing the others because it's more difficult doing all of them and it leaves no doubt. If i get injured then i get injured, can't think about those things.

Paul, why not just cert the 3 and 3.5 now while you know you have the strength?.. i say because you never know what kind of jacked up injury could happen tomorrow that could permanently keep you from training grip at your current level..

for example, i know at any given time i could lose a finger or two on the job. so i take those certs when i can get them.

i say go for it bro.. everyone has a good idea of what you can do now, but the 3 and 3.5 certs will prove it.

Good point both certs are very noteworthy and Mud...congrats on your recent #3 cert man

Difference is i don't care about being certified on the other grippers. Other people do so they cert them and that's cool. I want #4 and i won't stop until i get #4. I'm not doing the others incase i miss the #4, i'm doing the others because it's more difficult doing all of them and it leaves no doubt. If i get injured then i get injured, can't think about those things.

Any of those certs are great but the #4 is king of all certs :bow keep after things and stay focussed bro

Good point both certs are very noteworthy and Mud...congrats on your recent #3 cert man

>

Any of those certs are great but the #4 is king of all certs :bow keep after things and stay focussed bro

It's getting close, i think i can do my thor super elite now if i try it inbetween sets of squats. Maybe try it monday since the 330 was pretty easy today, see how i feel (my SE is a toughy).

• Like 1

Keep up the hard work- Your drive and tenacity seems devoutly strong-I hope you reach this EPIC GOAL!!!

kasporov - I don't really want to be 'attempting' grippers, i want to be closing them whenever possible. The next #4 i will use for ccs will be my medium 2005 #4 (is grade 8 spring but one number on bottom each handle) just because i know the difficulty of it. I will try my new #4 only if i am closing that one consistently.

Video of 5th single of RB330lb gripper with credit card (sorry my hand blocks insert, will change angle next time), and my medium #4 with deep set afterwards (was to about 1 1/4").

I think he asked because you did ask for a cert... So, if you're not closing a new no.4 why start a thread about your cert request? And then, show only your (weaker hand) left hand closing a 3.5. I thought it was a normal question to ask. Good luck with your training.

I think he asked because you did ask for a cert... So, if you're not closing a new no.4 why start a thread about your cert request? And then, show only your (weaker hand) left hand closing a 3.5. I thought it was a normal question to ask. Good luck with your training.

I started the thread as if somebody else had requested a certification for the #4, i would be interested to know of it, so i gave others the same. As for showing my weaker hand closing 3.5. that's not my off hand, it's my right hand, and it's a very difficult 3.5 / was the 5th close from the session. My left hand is the hand with the bands on the wrist, i never take them off. I have only gone upto RB300 left hand as yet. All my training is listed in my log (link in signature below).

My reference to you attempting a new #4 ccs, was to show everyone just how strong you are, since many of us own a new #4, and since you would be certifying on a new #4, and the title of the thread is #4 certification, I thought it was appropriate.

Also, when you go to certify I think you will be attempting to close that #4..:)

My reference to you attempting a new #4 ccs, was to show everyone just how strong you are, since many of us own a new #4, and since you would be certifying on a new #4, and the title of the thread is #4 certification, I thought it was appropriate.

Also, when you go to certify I think you will be attempting to close that #4.. :)

Sure, a new #4 out the package is the certification process but you need to realise i'm not doing the certification at this point, actually i'm having to do it a couple months after plan'd so i have plenty of time. Attempting my new #4 right now would serve me no benefit, that's what i'm training to do. If your goal was to deadlift 700lbs at a powerlifting meet in 8 weeks time, you wouldn't just attempt 700lbs each session, you would train with less weight and build up gradually, this is what i'm doing leading upto the cert attempt.

• Like 4

Also, when you go to certify I think you will be attempting to close that #4.. :)

Sure, a new #4 out the package is the certification process but you need to realise i'm not doing the certification at this point, actually i'm having to do it a couple months after plan'd so i have plenty of time. Attempting my new #4 right now would serve me no benefit, that's what i'm training to do. If your goal was to deadlift 700lbs at a powerlifting meet in 8 weeks time, you wouldn't just attempt 700lbs each session, you would train with less weight and build up gradually, this is what i'm doing leading upto the cert attempt.

haha the 4 is more like a 1000 pound DL

That's true regarding the deadlift, but I'm sure you would attempt the 700lbs a few times to see go far you are from lifting it, not just wait tip the day of the competition and hope for the best.

I guess I'm hurt trying to realistically access if you're going to be able to do this, as the new #4 is no joke and takes some serious strength to ccs, juha said that the last 1mm took him a year to conquer and that was from either mms or wide set, so I guess anyone gunning for the #4 cert, would want to be getting extremely close to closing it before requesting a certification.

Your dynamic might be a little different in that you get stronger faster than others. I guess when someone posts that they are certifying #4 people want some proof of strength, that's why a new #4 attempt in the coming months would be nice, and we like to compare you to Vogt who was around 4-5mm away from #4 ccs last October.:)

Ignore the 'hurt' part of my post...typo:)

• Like 1

That's true regarding the deadlift, but I'm sure you would attempt the 700lbs a few times to see go far you are from lifting it, not just wait tip the day of the competition and hope for the best.

I guess I'm hurt trying to realistically access if you're going to be able to do this, as the new #4 is no joke and takes some serious strength to ccs, juha said that the last 1mm took him a year to conquer and that was from either mms or wide set, so I guess anyone gunning for the #4 cert, would want to be getting extremely close to closing it before requesting a certification.

Your dynamic might be a little different in that you get stronger faster than others. I guess when someone posts that they are certifying #4 people want some proof of strength, that's why a new #4 attempt in the coming months would be nice, and we like to compare you to Vogt who was around 4-5mm away from #4 ccs last October. :)

Ignore the 'hurt' part of my post...typo:)

I've had average #4 to 1mm with ccs so have been close. I will continue to produce frequent videos so hopefully this is proof of strength but you need to realise i can't just crush a #4 every workout because it will bruise my palm and i won't be able to train. I have to be very smart about it and take it one step at a time.

edit - oh an no, you would actually never attempt the 700lbs in training, no powerlifting cycle would have you do that until the day of the meet on your 3rd attempt (2nd if things feel really good). Attempting the weight to see how far off it was would most likely mess up a good month of training, if not more due to injury.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1

No offense Paul. Just thinking that its better to actually be doing the ccs before you send a request to Randall...and start a thread about it. That's like Putin' shit on lay-a-way and banking on having the money for it later. You tell everyone you got a new big screen TV... But you don't actually own it yet. :)

Basically people are just asking you to prove yourself to them. I don't agree with this. The most important thing is to know your goals and your self. If you know how you react to training that's all that matters. When I did my Red cert, I had bent less than 10 in under a minute, but I knew how I would react to training and rest and got exactly what I knew I would: a 40 second bend. Good luck. A 3.5 close is very strong. I hope you get your #4.

• Like 1

Good luck Paul. For some reason I think the only person on earth that can ccs a new #4 at the moment is Nathan holle. Please prove me wrong:)

Good luck Paul. For some reason I think the only person on earth that can ccs a new #4 at the moment is Nathan holle. Please prove me wrong:)

Ya never know.....

I don't want it to look like I'm needing proof (like mike noted). I simply thought your question about a recent no.4 close was reasonable. And when you asked, it seemed like too much trouble: this thread is about him requesting a cert. so he should be ready... Not to show us proof, of course... But to not act like its too much for his hand to try something so hard. That's the kind of attention I thought he wanted? Tommy had a good post that summed it up: but that disappeared?

Interesting. Don't you ever attempt grippers you can't close, in your training? Is your gripper training all about full closes?

Interesting. Don't you ever attempt grippers you can't close, in your training? Is your gripper training all about full closes?

I would never attempt a gripper i know i can't close. For the most part what i do is several heavy singles, but not so heavy that i can't close it. I may miss some of the singles but it would be a very off day if i didn't make any of them. I've recently been following these heavy ccs singles up with drop sets for max reps using either ccs or mms.

I just read the foregoing posts. I think Paul doesn't have to prove anyone on this board whether or not he can CCS a #4 at this point. I can only respect stepping up, and describing the road towards his training goal. At the time of the cert Paul will show if he can pull this one off. A #4 CCS is in my opinion not a close you can consistently perform, just as the world record holder for the deadlift will not pull this feat off every week at his will. It takes gut to step in to the light and show up for that attempt, for which you have trained to gradually.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Paul I'm trying to understand your logic, are you simply going off the feel of the gripper? How would you know it you can close a new #4 ccs without attempting it? Based on its feel?

• Like 1

Last 2cts I'm giving :) (sorry Kasparov, not meaning to bash your questioning, it's a legit question). But although consistent in quality (and also not to bash mr. Strossens products), it's proven that IM grippers to a certain point are 'like a box of chocolates you never know what you gonna get'. There are low #145 '3's and high #156 3's , I can imagine this will also be the case with IM#4's. Case in point, successfully closing one IM#4 out of the package will not grant succes for every TSG in the same supposed resistance I think. I know, who am I, but I just don't think at that skill level it's useful to get to hang up on being able to close one particular #4.