#4 Certification Request

Paul Savage

Giver her hell Paul - Your brothers in grip are rooting for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Paul..good luck with the certification. If you happen to come a across a 215lbs #4. What do you think are your chances if closing it?

The the average rgc of a new #4 is around 215.

Slaz - is #3 right, #2.5 left

Kasporov - Really depends on how my training goes but i definately have a shot on an average #4 if things go well. At the moment i would say, despite a slight set back with pain in my palm, it is going well, so i'm on track. #3 is already very comfortable with the handles taped, i can slide my hand up the gripper a half inch and still close it wider than credit card set. Within the next couple of weeks i'll probably move up to RB300 right hand and #3 left.

• Like 1

I am sorry but i am having to put the cert off till later on in the year (august) so wont be doing it at the expo. My regional manager has decided i cant have the time off. I was told that would not happen but nothing i can do at this point. Am trying to look at it in a positive way in that i will be even more prepared and just keep on track.

As for rgc i dont have one, and also don't hold them to the same value some do. If you note only what it takes to close a gripper you could end up getting two grippers of the same rating, but shutting one, whilst getting the other to a half inch off. I go off what i feel when i use the grippers and what other equally/more experienced have said.

Will film a full legs/back/grip workout on monday.

I am sorry but i am having to put the cert off till later on in the year (august) so wont be doing it at the expo. My regional manager has decided i cant have the time off. I was told that would not happen but nothing i can do at this point. Am trying to look at it in a positive way in that i will be even more prepared and just keep on track.

As for rgc i dont have one, and also don't hold them to the same value some do. If you note only what it takes to close a gripper you could end up getting two grippers of the same rating, but shutting one, whilst getting the other to a half inch off. I go off what i feel when i use the grippers and what other equally/more experienced have said.

Will film a full legs/back/grip workout on monday.

Could you expand on your thought here paul? I'm asking as you could get 2 grippers of equal feel and also end up closing just one. RGC is usually considered +/- 2.5lbs and far from perfect from a scientific method standpoint but as a general guideline it has helped myself and others find grippers to help bridge gaps where as feel can be different from day to day due to fatigue and mental state. I don't think RGC is the end all be all as no one measurement could be but it has value and is measurable where as feel is subjective.

I'm not Paul but IMHO the difference in sweep will make a gripper easier/harder and the skew of the handles will also impact closeability. RGC #'s are a great guide but having hands on really tells the tell.

I'm not Paul but IMHO the difference in sweep will make a gripper easier/harder and the skew of the handles will also impact closeability. RGC #'s are a great guide but having hands on really tells the tell.

I do agree, I was thinking more of comparing a #3 to a #3, elite to elite and so on where sweep/skew doesn't differ much.

Nutnut - They really can differ a lot even with the same company. Yes an RB gripper will typically be harder through the sweep than an IM gripper but in any one particular instance it's never for certain. As Heath has said, if your experienced, going off feel in the hand is definately going to be the way to go. However if your not as experienced or you simply want a rating, i would recommend taking two or three readings, rather than just the close (half way/closed or 1/3 to shut, 2/3 to shut then all the way shut).

Nutnut - They really can differ a lot even with the same company. Yes an RB gripper will typically be harder through the sweep than an IM gripper but in any one particular instance it's never for certain. As Heath has said, if your experienced, going off feel in the hand is definately going to be the way to go. However if your not as experienced or you simply want a rating, i would recommend taking two or three readings, rather than just the close (half way/closed or 1/3 to shut, 2/3 to shut then all the way shut).

Maybe I havn't tried enough grippers outside of my own purchases as my #3s (i have 3) seem to have very similar sweep though they differ by 15lbs between the the easiest and hardest in RGC. I do like the idea of multiple readings. I'm not exactly new as I've been doing grip work for about a year and a half but I still have a great deal to learn (and will always have something to learn). As I did mention though feel is just as prone to inaccuracy as RGC as it's simply perception and perception has it's own set of variables. I don't think there is a perfect method, multiple ideas come together to form the best overview possible and a TSG in one mans hand can feel harder than in anothers due to the variables of anatomy. I think we agree and there isn't really anything I'm arguing, just adding context and food for thought.

Taking three ratings would be a great way to measure the independent characteristics of the gripper... But would be extremely tedious for the rater because there would need to be extremely precise spread measurements and also a need for a mathematical formula to assess grippers with different spreads but identical end rgc...

Maybe some of our math majors could look into some hypotheses and figure out if it could even be done in a practical manner

Griparn - I was originally going to go to COC#3.5 but my 3.5 is the second hardest i've tried out of at least 10, so instead i'm going to go straight to the 330lb. It's still slightly harder than my 3.5 but due to the toughness of the sweep with Robert Baraban grippers i feel it's more worthwhile for training at this point. With it being a 30lb jump i will most likely wait a little while before making it.

Had yesterday off work (not the norm) so felt a little better on grippers and tried the 3.5 (didn't want to jump to 330 right away). Ran out of tape so did it regular. Managed 5 singles, below is the last one. As you can see i'm struggling through the sweep. This is about as hard a 3.5 as i would expect to get, it might even be as high as 3.7. Has a really hard sweep for an ironmind gripper. When i did it out the package i struggled through the sweep also but i thought it was because my technique was off. Spread is 3 & 1/8" and it's fairly low mounted. Pretty happy with how things are going at this point, the first couple closes were pretty comfortable (full workout in my log).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1gQ5ZXiwHo

• Like 5

Not very many gripsters putting the hurt on a 3.5 especially with a CCS -Super torque in those hands big guy!

Is your strong hand lefty ?

Had yesterday off work (not the norm) so felt a little better on grippers and tried the 3.5 (didn't want to jump to 330 right away). Ran out of tape so did it regular. Managed 5 singles, below is the last one. As you can see i'm struggling through the sweep. This is about as hard a 3.5 as i would expect to get, it might even be as high as 3.7. Has a really hard sweep for an ironmind gripper. When i did it out the package i struggled through the sweep also but i thought it was because my technique was off. Spread is 3 & 1/8" and it's fairly low mounted. Pretty happy with how things are going at this point, the first couple closes were pretty comfortable (full workout in my log).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1gQ5ZXiwHo

No left hand i'm a bit weaker with grippers. Right is my strongest.

Did i just se a ccs close with a off-hand. :bow Very good!!!!

No left hand i'm a bit weaker with grippers. Right is my strongest.

Edited by meduza