Coc, Single Stamp Grippers

mightyjoe

Interesting post. I do have stainless steel handle #4 I would think that to be ....rare. So that moves the 4 back a year or the stainless handles forward into another year.

Hey Joe,

When I did the timeline I placed the introduction of a new gripper strength in the box with the type of gripper being made at that time. So, yes there was a Silver Crush Trainer. As you stated this would be very rare and the reason is exactly what others here have mentioned; that ALL of the chrome springs were the least durable of all the different spring types. Most of the Trainers are long gone because the spring broke. If I remember correctly this was a leading reason for the demise of the Silver Crush. I honestly have never seen either the Silver Crush gripper OR the Stainless Trainer. Also, as others have stated that "Silver Crush" with a 3 stamped on one end was not and IM gripper but rather a Tetting gripper. The timeline I made is only for IM grippers. I would post the timeline here to be pinned however, I copied and pasted an IM logo at the top of my document just for appearance and I don't know if Dr. Strossen would want that posted on any board with his trademarked logo. I guess I could cut that our of the document.

That would be great if you posted your timeline Brett! I would just remove the IM logo.

I know you've helped me immensely over the last year. Your knowledge of grippers is to be admired buddy!

Hey Joe,

When I did the timeline I placed the introduction of a new gripper strength in the box with the type of gripper being made at that time. So, yes there was a Silver Crush Trainer. As you stated this would be very rare and the reason is exactly what others here have mentioned; that ALL of the chrome springs were the least durable of all the different spring types. Most of the Trainers are long gone because the spring broke. If I remember correctly this was a leading reason for the demise of the Silver Crush. I honestly have never seen either the Silver Crush gripper OR the Stainless Trainer. Also, as others have stated that "Silver Crush" with a 3 stamped on one end was not and IM gripper but rather a Tetting gripper. The timeline I made is only for IM grippers. I would post the timeline here to be pinned however, I copied and pasted an IM logo at the top of my document just for appearance and I don't know if Dr. Strossen would want that posted on any board with his trademarked logo. I guess I could cut that our of the document.

That would be great if you posted your timeline Brett! I would just remove the IM logo.

I know you've helped me immensely over the last year. Your knowledge of grippers is to be admired buddy!

I can do that buddy. Let me add a notation about those GR8 grippers with the double-stamped no COC handles. I know they are more of an anomaly but it would probably be helpful to those who come across them. As for the knowledge I thank you for the kind words buddy! I just wish it was as vast as your grip museum :)

Also I just wanted to clarify my post above; I have never seen a Silver Crush Trainer or the stainless steel Trainer.

Edited by Brett H

slazbob sent me a few pics from his iphone of a 1992 IM catalog of which I can't really make out

much details but I can read where the Trainer is offered in solid, chromed steel handles. Now if I could

just locate someone that has one of these rarities!

I'm hoping he'll mail me a copy of this catalog for my collection and to further the IM timeline I've started.

Thanks Bob!!!

Joe-

I'll be sending the copy of the catalog this weekend.

Can someone tell me how to add an attachment so I can post the timeline? Also I see this topic is already pinned so would this be the place to upload it or would another topic be a better place for it?

slazbob sent me a few pics from his iphone of a 1992 IM catalog of which I can't really make out

much details but I can read where the Trainer is offered in solid, chromed steel handles. Now if I could

just locate someone that has one of these rarities!

I'm hoping he'll mail me a copy of this catalog for my collection and to further the IM timeline I've started.

Thanks Bob!!!

Joe-

I'll be sending the copy of the catalog this weekend.

Awesome!!!

Thank you so MUCH!!!

Please PM me your e-mail address.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

1990 = Black steel handles, black spring with no knurling on handles. No numbers were stamped

on handle ends.

1991 = Introduction of Silver Crush grippers with chromed steel handles with chrome spring. No number stamped on handle ends.

1992 = Introduction of Trainer

1993 = Stainless steel handles and the beginning of the clear band on middle of handles. Number stamped

on both handle ends, T, #1, #2, #3

1994 = Introduction of #4 gripper!

1995-2002 = Single stamp grippers with # stamped on only one handle end with

a clear band on middle of handles with black spring.

Mid 2002-2003 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Clear band on middle of handles with a

black spring.

2003-2005 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Captains of Crush band on middle of handles

with black spring.

Mid to late 2005 = Introduction of the GR8 springs along with the introduction of the Guide and Sport grippers.

The handle ends were still double stamped with Captains of Crush band on middle of handle.

2006 = Both number and COC stamped on both handle ends.

2011 = Introduction of the .5

Late 2012 = Introduction of the Zenith gripper line.

I may have missed something here but I'm pretty confident of the accuracy here. I would like to thank Brett Hanson

for helping me compile this timeline of which he verified with Randy Strossen some time ago.

Hi Joe,

I think this is one of the first Double Stamped grippers with Captains of Crush bands on the middle of handles!?

h-335.jpg

h-336.jpg

1990 = Black steel handles, black spring with no knurling on handles. No numbers were stamped

on handle ends.

1991 = Introduction of Silver Crush grippers with chromed steel handles with chrome spring. No number stamped on handle ends.

1993 = Stainless steel handles and the beginning of the clear band on middle of handles. Number stamped

Mid 2002-2003 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Clear band on middle of handles with a

black spring.

2003-2005 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Captains of Crush band on middle of handles

with black spring.

Mid to late 2005 = Introduction of the GR8 springs along with the introduction of the Guide and Sport grippers.

The handle ends were still double stamped with Captains of Crush band on middle of handle.

I may have missed something here but I'm pretty confident of the accuracy here. I would like to thank Brett Hanson

for helping me compile this timeline of which he verified with Randy Strossen some time ago.

Hi Joe,

I think this is one of the first Double Stamped grippers with Captains of Crush bands on the middle of handles!?

h-335.jpg

h-336.jpg

Yes Arian, that would definitely be the first double-stamp with the COC bands. If you look in my gallery you will see a clear band #4 in the exact same package you show here. It also has 2002 on the back. Also the gray packaged #4 in my gallery does not have a date on the back but I believe was purchased in the same time period. There is probably a little carryover in the timeline as far as packaging is concerned.

on handle ends.

black spring.

with black spring.

Yes Arian, that would definitely be the first double-stamp with the COC bands. If you look in my gallery you will see a clear band #4 in the exact same package you show here. It also has 2002 on the back. Also the gray packaged #4 in my gallery does not have a date on the back but I believe was purchased in the same time period. There is probably a little carryover in the timeline as far as packaging is concerned.

Thank you Brett! You have a last one with clear bands in the sealed package! :)

• 2 weeks later...

on handle ends.

black spring.

with black spring.

Thank you Brett! You have a last one with clear bands in the sealed package! :)

Actually Arian I don't, like a lot of others I sold that one :( I do still have the gray packaged one though which was much harder to find.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I really Like the captains of crush. I've got a collection of 5 now. For all the dutchies on this forum, check out: https://www.betersport.nl/krachtsport-materiaal/matten-grips.html

This is where I got mine, i believe the cheapest of holland.

I'm pushing for CoC number 3.5 now. Not getting it completly closed yet!

Actually, it seems like you're going to pay EUR 29.95 which is about the equivalent of $33.49 per gripper. Through CPW you'll pay $19/gripper and shipping for up to 3 grippers is $28.50. If you order 3 then the total is $85.50 which is only $28.50/gripper shipped... which is the equivalent of EUR 25.50 each. And that's assuming you get free shipping from that site. Just something to consider.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I think I would recheck on the pre 1991 period. In the earlier days the springs, and handles were as you described into the late 1980s but,Warren Tetting sent me several grippers including the " show me Gripper" that were knurled .even the super hard gold painted one I still have my son carried to various track meets for 10 years is done the same I know for a fact it was prior to 1991. When Warren ran out of the .277 spring availability in the late 80s it was replaced forever with the thicker but available .284 spring that went on his last supers, and the first 1991# 3s. The size to what is referred to as a #3 now is still a .284 spring but a vibra honed black natural finish spring. The grippers by I assume built by Tetting used by Anderson and Todd were both .277 super grippers. I assumed they were in use through the 1960s on to 70s. Both were tethered. Tough but a good feel to each and were also shut when I tried them.

I have a number of chromed silver crush clones From Warren as well with .284 springs that were made after the split with Ironmind. I think he sold some through a dealer ( Bill Ennis)?)but everyone I ever bought was sold to me from him directly.

Edited by 1stCoC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I would recheck on the pre 1991 period. In the earlier days the springs, and handles were as you described into the late 1980s but,Warren Tetting sent me several grippers including the " show me Gripper" that were knurled .even the super hard gold painted one I still have my son carried to various track meets for 10 years is done the same I know for a fact it was prior to 1991. When Warren ran out of the .277 spring availability in the late 80s it was replaced forever with the thicker but available .284 spring that went on his last supers, and the first 1991# 3s. The size to what is referred to as a #3 now is still a .284 spring but a vibra honed black natural finish spring. The grippers by I assume built by Tetting used by Anderson and Todd were both .277 super grippers. I assumed they were in use through the 1960s on to 70s. Both were tethered. Tough but a good feel to each and were also shut when I tried them.

I have a number of chromed silver crush clones From Warren as well with .284 springs that were made after the split with Ironmind. I think he sold some through a dealer ( Bill Ennis)?)but everyone I ever bought was sold to me from him directly.

Сhromed silver crush clones From Warren - what thickness of handles at them? 0.795 or 0,763?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Mr. Sorin, you are correct on this. This particular gripper is the only one on the timeline which I didn't have firsthand knowledge of, as I only recently obtained 3 of the original Ironman grippers made by Warren. I speak with Warren quite frequently, so I will try to get more details on this. He did tell me last week that he did some knurled and some un-knurled for both the Ironman grippers as well as the first Ironmind grippers. He also told me that the "show me gripper" he sent you was not an Ironmind gripper but rather an Ironman gripper. He said when he sent it to you he was making grippers for Ironmind, but that gripper was actually an Ironman display model, made years prior, that he had in a showcase in his shop. The only other thing he mentioned was that some grippers were made from hot-rolled steel and others were made from cold-rolled steel. I will ask him about the gold-painted gripper and try to get some more info for you.

Edited by Brett H

Does anyone know where I can get a Hercules hand gripper? I was saving money for it, and when I had the chance to get one it was sold out, now I'm having a hard time finding it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2013 at 8:44 AM, slazbob said:

Joe-

I had a silver crush trainer. Got mine after the coc article in ironman magazine may '92. Still have my Ironmind catolog from '92 ... The trainer is there. They did call them silver crush for a bit, but changed that after the steel handles, I believe.

I still have my Silver Crush # 2 & # 3 grippers

SilverCrushGrippers.jpg

• Like 3

I would love to see you post a copy of the ad for the Silver Crush grippers from your catalog. 

6 hours ago, OregonTod said:

I would love to see you post a copy of the ad for the Silver Crush grippers from your catalog. 

Some time over the weekend I'll dig that up for I pic.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 2:18 AM, mightyjoe said:

My Sport gripper has a black spring. There must be a period of Sport und Guide Grippers before the GR8 came out. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Anybody have one of the earlier IM grippers with "CoC" stamped at the bottom of the handles that they could check for me?

I was just looking over my grippers yesterday, and noticed a few of this version of the grippers with dark springs.  For the life of me, I can't remember if they were originally the shiny GR8 springs and just tarnished, or whether they were always dark.

It seems much closer to the spring on a non-CoC double stamp that I've got than any of the other GR8 spring grippers.  I'll try to attach a picture from my phone after posting this.

Given the timeline outlined in this thread: 

• double stamp, non-CoC, dark spring 
  • >> double stamp, non-CoC GR8 spring
  • >> double stamp, CoC GR8 spring

(new shiny spring first then new handles) it seems more likely that these are just tarnished GR8 springs, but the change in colour is more uniform than I would have expected.

Also, I recently sold a double stamp, non-CoC GR8 spring, which should have been introduced earlier, but whose spring was still shiny.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QV4P5USfNAMGMcy98

left is a #1.5 with shiny spring

middle is #1.5 with dark spring

right is #1 non-CoC with dark spring.

Based on the time-line, there shouldn't be any dark spring #x.5 grippers, since they were introduced  after the switch to GR8 springs, so the best explanation is that it's a tarnished GR8 spring, and IM just did a better job after of protecting the springs from tarnishing after the first year.PXL_20220502_014945418.thumb.jpg.72f1637f64ca7750047d3c0a2bafc7a7.jpg

2 hours ago, bdckr said:

Given the timeline outlined in this thread: 

• double stamp, non-CoC, dark spring 
  • >> double stamp, non-CoC GR8 spring
  • >> double stamp, CoC GR8 spring

(new shiny spring first then new handles) it seems more likely that these are just tarnished GR8 springs, but the change in colour is more uniform than I would have expected.

Also, I recently sold a double stamp, non-CoC GR8 spring, which should have been introduced earlier, but whose spring was still shiny.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QV4P5USfNAMGMcy98

left is a #1.5 with shiny spring

middle is #1.5 with dark spring

right is #1 non-CoC with dark spring.

Based on the time-line, there shouldn't be any dark spring #x.5 grippers, since they were introduced  after the switch to GR8 springs, so the best explanation is that it's a tarnished GR8 spring

You are right about all this. 

The gripper you sold recently was the spring transition to GR8 but still no CoC around the number on the end of the handle. 

Any gripper with CoC on the end of the handle definitely had a GR8 spring. 

I soaked a GR8 spring in vinegar one time (trying to remove rust) and that was a mistake. It became uniformly black and dull. Could something like that have happened?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cannon said:

You are right about all this. 

The gripper you sold recently was the spring transition to GR8 but still no CoC around the number on the end of the handle. 

Any gripper with CoC on the end of the handle definitely had a GR8 spring. 

I soaked a GR8 spring in vinegar one time (trying to remove rust) and that was a mistake. It became uniformly black and dull. Could something like that have happened?

It's possible -- I've never done that myself, but I've got so many grippers that I can't keep track of which ones I bought new and which ones I bought used.

Thanks for the info!