Coc, Single Stamp Grippers

mightyjoe

Here's a pic from my gallery of my COC single stamp grippers I've recently acquired:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=10874

I will SOON have the SS Trainer which will complete my single stamp collection!

Hope you Enjoy!!!

Nice!

I like the case they are in.

Thanks Rich!

I found the case at Hobby Lobby in Tyler, Texas.

It worked out great!

Single stamp meaning only one side has the CoC sign? What year were those made? My grandfather had those old red grippers you have there also I think still have it somewhere. I have a CoC #3 without the CoC stamp but its on both handles. Are these just regular CoC or is there a name for the ones without the CoC stamp?

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Single stamp meaning only one side has the CoC sign? What year were those made? My grandfather had those old red grippers you have there also I think still have it somewhere. I have a CoC #3 without the CoC stamp but its on both handles. Are these just regular CoC or is there a name for the ones without the CoC stamp?

That sounds like the coc grippers that came after the single stamp gripper (only one # appeared on the bottom of the gripper). I really can't comment on the years those grippers were made, because I don't know when they were made.

1990 = Black steel handles, black spring with no knurling on handles. No numbers were stamped

on handle ends.

1991 = Introduction of Silver Crush grippers with chromed steel handles with chrome spring. No number stamped on handle ends.

1992 = Introduction of Trainer

1993 = Stainless steel handles and the beginning of the clear band on middle of handles. Number stamped

on both handle ends, T, #1, #2, #3

1994 = Introduction of #4 gripper!

1995-2002 = Single stamp grippers with # stamped on only one handle end with

a clear band on middle of handles with black spring.

Mid 2002-2003 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Clear band on middle of handles with a

black spring.

2003-2005 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Captains of Crush band on middle of handles

with black spring.

Mid to late 2005 = Introduction of the GR8 springs along with the introduction of the Guide and Sport grippers.

The handle ends were still double stamped with Captains of Crush band on middle of handle.

2006 = Both number and COC stamped on both handle ends.

2011 = Introduction of the .5

Late 2012 = Introduction of the Zenith gripper line.

I may have missed something here but I'm pretty confident of the accuracy here. I would like to thank Brett Hanson

for helping me compile this timeline of which he verified with Randy Strossen some time ago.

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 9

1990 = Black steel handles, black spring with no knurling on handles. No numbers were stamped

on handle ends.

1991 = Introduction of Silver Crush grippers with chromed steel handles with chrome spring. No number stamped on handle ends.

1993 = Stainless steel handles and the beginning of the clear band on middle of handles. Number stamped

Mid 2002-2003 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Clear band on middle of handles with a

black spring.

2003-2005 = Number stamped on both handle ends (double stamped). Captains of Crush band on middle of handles

with black spring.

Mid to late 2005 = Introduction of the GR8 springs along with the introduction of the Guide and Sport grippers.

The handle ends were still double stamped with Captains of Crush band on middle of handle.

I may have missed something here but I'm pretty confident of the accuracy here. I would like to thank Brett Hanson

for helping me compile this timeline of which he verified with Randy Strossen some time ago.

on handle ends. - There are some photos of these grippers? And what rating they were?

Still it is possible to write when Introduction IMTUGS.

2005 = Introduction of IMTUGS

2006 = Introduction of the "bridge grippers" with the #1.5, #2.5 and the #3.5

Sorry for leaving this out of the timeline!

I got some pics I'm going to post on some spring anomalies when I get a chance. For example,

double stamp grippers were supposed to have black springs but there's rare instances of DS

grippers having chrome springs of which I own a #2 and a #4.

• Like 1

What is the current stamping referred to as? (the number and name stamp)

...or did I just answer my own question? Haha

Edited by Mephistopholes

I got some pics I'm going to post on some spring anomalies when I get a chance. For example,

double stamp grippers were supposed to have black springs but there's rare instances of DS

grippers having chrome springs of which I own a #2 and a #4.

As far as I know, these are from 2005. I have a #3 like this. And I don't believe they are chromed, but rather the debut of the GR8 spring. By late 2005 early 2006, the CoC rings on the end of the handle had appeared, which is the current style.

In October of 2007, IronMind announced they "found" a number of these grippers that had the GR8 spring, but only double-stamped handles without the CoC bands. They sold them in their store for $19.95 retail despite acknowledging they could likely get more from collectors. I bought my #3 and also a #4 at this time.

I figured I would be able to find a news release about this, but could not. But here's a post I made when the gripper arrived and I mentioned it was a 2005 gripper. http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=25066&hl=ironmind

Here is where some news was shared at the GripBoard about the sale, although the IM link is now dead.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=24940&hl=ironmind

EDIT: joe, I totally missed your timeline post which makes this info redundant. :D

on handle ends.

black spring.

with black spring.

If the Trainer was Introduction in 1992, and Stainless steel handles only in 1993 - that turns out that there is Silver Crush Trainer?

If isn't present - that what was the Trainer in 1992?

I remember in gripboard gallery was pinned Silver Crush with a stamp < 3 > at the bottom of one handle(without band).
Steel Silver Crush handles were thicker than 3/4".

When they started to glue the handles?

• Like 1

on handle ends.

black spring.

with black spring.

If the Trainer was Introduction in 1992, and Stainless steel handles only in 1993 - that turns out that there is Silver Crush Trainer?

Yes, there was a silver crush trainer.

• 3 weeks later...

Single Stamp and Double Stamp ( without CoC )

i-284.jpg

All my Single Stamp gripper harder then average, all Double Stamp ( without CoC ) weaker then average RGC and spread narrow!

i-285.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The rather large span of the single stamped grippers can be narrowed further. Note the differences in these two. Which one was produced first? I'm guessing the second one.

SS3%20Raised.JPG

SS3%20not%20raised.JPG

I remember in gripboard gallery was pinned Silver Crush with a stamp < 3 > at the bottom of one handle(without band).

Steel Silver Crush handles were thicker than 3/4".

When they started to glue the handles?

So two SS grippers together, both possessing different characteristics, including one with larger handles and heavier weight, would probably be significant? I have such grippers and will post pictures tomorrow, including with a scale side by side and with both being weighed on a postal scale. I have 2 each of SS #2 and #3 grippers, both different in design and other stuff I mentioned. They're not magnetic, but that doesn't matter on stainless steel bearing anti corrosive substances.

Any pictures of steel handled stainless steel grippers, with on handle stamped?

on handle ends.

black spring.

with black spring.

The Trainer didn't come out until 1992 and the original Silver Crush grippers with chrome steel handles had no numbers stamped

on the handles with no bands. In 1993 IM started using stainless steel handles and both handle ends were stamped with numbers

and the handles had clear bands. There was a Trainer with stainless handles but not chrome steel handles that I'm aware of.

What I'm still not clear about is if the stainless steel handle grippers were still considered Silver Crush. It's assumed that they were until

1995 when aluminum started being used for the handles. I would like to see an originally packed stainless steel gripper with Silver Crush

designated as the name! Anyone?

So what we have is chromed steel handles in 1991, stainless steel in 1993 and then aluminum appeared in 1995. One key question to me is

exactly when does one handle material end and another begin? For example, when the Trainer came out in 1992 chromed steel was

still being used for the handles but there is only #1 ,2 & 3 chromed steel handle Silver Crush grippers. This would beg the question

as to what handle material was used until the appearance of stainless in 1993 because I've never seen nor heard of a chromed steel

handle Trainer. Only a stainless steel handle Trainer. A chromed steel handle Trainer would be one of the rarest grippers on earth

in my estimation!

Please don't claim you know of a chromed steel handle Trainer unless you can prove it with pics of the spring diameter and a magnet stuck

to the ends of the handles. Silver Crush chromed steel handles hand no stampings on the handle ends and no bands so the only way to

prove it's a Trainer is by the spring measurement.

Key here is the years 1991 until some time in 1993 when stainless steel started being used as handle material and the appearance of the Trainer

in 1992. If stainless didn't start being used until 1993 and the Trainer wasn't introduced until 1992 how come there's no Trainer (apparently until proven otherwise) with chromed steel handles?

If someone can show me a chromed steel handle Trainer I will change (and correct) the timeline here!

It's possible only Randall can clear this up for all of us! Maybe he'll chime in on this seemingly contradictory situation.

Thanks for your time!!!

Joe-

I had a silver crush trainer. Got mine after the coc article in ironman magazine may '92. Still have my Ironmind catolog from '92 ... The trainer is there. They did call them silver crush for a bit, but changed that after the steel handles, I believe.

on handle ends.

black spring.

with black spring.

The Trainer didn't come out until 1992 and the original Silver Crush grippers with chrome steel handles had no numbers stamped

on the handles with no bands. In 1993 IM started using stainless steel handles and both handle ends were stamped with numbers

and the handles had clear bands. There was a Trainer with stainless handles but not chrome steel handles that I'm aware of.

What I'm still not clear about is if the stainless steel handle grippers were still considered Silver Crush. It's assumed that they were until

1995 when aluminum started being used for the handles. I would like to see an originally packed stainless steel gripper with Silver Crush

designated as the name! Anyone?

So what we have is chromed steel handles in 1991, stainless steel in 1993 and then aluminum appeared in 1995. One key question to me is

exactly when does one handle material end and another begin? For example, when the Trainer came out in 1992 chromed steel was

still being used for the handles but there is only #1 ,2 & 3 chromed steel handle Silver Crush grippers. This would beg the question

as to what handle material was used until the appearance of stainless in 1993 because I've never seen nor heard of a chromed steel

handle Trainer. Only a stainless steel handle Trainer. A chromed steel handle Trainer would be one of the rarest grippers on earth

in my estimation!

Please don't claim you know of a chromed steel handle Trainer unless you can prove it with pics of the spring diameter and a magnet stuck

to the ends of the handles. Silver Crush chromed steel handles hand no stampings on the handle ends and no bands so the only way to

prove it's a Trainer is by the spring measurement.

Key here is the years 1991 until some time in 1993 when stainless steel started being used as handle material and the appearance of the Trainer

in 1992. If stainless didn't start being used until 1993 and the Trainer wasn't introduced until 1992 how come there's no Trainer (apparently until proven otherwise) with chromed steel handles?

If someone can show me a chromed steel handle Trainer I will change (and correct) the timeline here!

It's possible only Randall can clear this up for all of us! Maybe he'll chime in on this seemingly contradictory situation.

Thanks for your time!!!

I agree - in this situation photos are necessary. Or word of the Randall Strossen.

These two single stamped grippers are different in a few regards, with the one weighing 1/2 pound more than the other (more pictures tonight of interesting aspects)...

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

• Like 1

Joe-

I had a silver crush trainer. Got mine after the coc article in ironman magazine may '92. Still have my Ironmind catolog from '92 ... The trainer is there. They did call them silver crush for a bit, but changed that after the steel handles, I believe.

In the catalog there is a photo of the Trainer with a chrome spring and chrome handles? ? ?